2002 Subaru Forester Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
This car stinks
By buyacamry on 05/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

When we brought the car we were initially happy. After about 5k miles we noticed a problem with surging. At 10K there was a recall on the parking rod. At 16K we had an accident as a result of the surging problem. Struck vehicles front and back. Complained but Subaru does not acknowledge the problem. NHTSA had similiar complaints. Now we don't want to drive the car because its not safe. I don't recommend this car and Subaru of America does not care about your problems.

pocono taxi
By meeeary on 03/14/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

very reliable. only thing I do not like is that teh brakes go too low to the floor, as if they are worn out. Dealer checked and says they are OK. Vary good car in the snowstorms that are common in the pennsylvania pocono mountains. Not top heavy like most suvs so less chance of tipping over.

Rational SUV
By woodworker on 03/06/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Forester Wagon S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Reluctant SUV owner, but need space. Nice features. Drive 40 miles/wk on dirt roads for fishing. Better gas mileage than other SUVs, but wish for longer range (hybrid?). Drives with zip in fast lane. Every car a compromise, but this one does what it is supposed to do. Hope it's as reliable as they say, 'cause I keep 'em till they die.

Piece of Crap
By brainstrains on 02/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Forester Wagon S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've had mine for 2 years and have had to take it in 7 times because the Check Engine light keeps coming on. They told me it was my fault for not tightening the gas cap. The 3rd time, I figured I'd just ride with it on-but it suddenly lost power and I started rolling backward. I now have to make sure I take it in, since I never know whether it's more serious. In the past 3 months it happened 3 more times. Each time, they tell me what I did to cause it. This time, they said they found the glitch- it's happening with all 2002s, and they know how to turn it off. NO MORE! I am sick of the runaround. When I get it back, I am saying goodbye forever.

Great car, if you're kidless!!!
By bird family on 01/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Forester Wagon S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We bought the car because we wanted a small SUV and didn't like what other car makers had to offer. We got the S premium package, which had many extras!!!! We added a few things to make it sportier, like fender flares and rear spoiler. Great car, but when you put infant and carseats in the back seat, it's a VERY tight squeeze, in both the front and back!!! Love the extras, like the heated side mirrors and auto dimming mirror, but what were they thinking with the cupholders? Awesome sound system and great in snow and mud, a plus in Minnesota!

After nearly 2 years, still a great car
By IronChefMorimoto on 12/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Forester Wagon S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Other than a minor fuel system issue 9 days after my purchase, this car has been a great buy. The buying experience at the dealership was superb, and my service experiences have been very pleasant, if a little overpriced in the Atlanta area. The car is relatively roomy, versatile, and powerful enough that I don't really miss my 1999 Mercury Cougar V6. The OEM tires have also worn better than my Cougar's Firestones. Buying a new Forester will be a less pleasant experience because Subaru has made a lot of the standard accessories that came with mine a la carte sticker items which cost a bit more. The 2002 model, regardless, remains an excellent value.

No low-mileage drivers allowed
By cllapham on 11/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Although I love my Forester, I don't recommend it to anyone who doesn't regularly drive more than 20 miles a day. It's a great car when it starts, but mine is on it's third battery and 8th or 9th dealer visit because of dead battery problems. The dealer says it's because I don't drive enough (less than 100 miles a week). So, if you're a commuter, this is a great little car: safe, comfortable, good mileage. If you work from home... If you have a two-car family... If you live near your office... If you like to bike to work instead of always driving... This probably isn't the best car for you.

seat problems
By wickett311 on 11/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

It has been a good, dependable vehicle so far except for two things. First, there is some hesitation after a stop, and I have had the driver's seat covers replaced twice and it needs replacing again.

2002 S+ Auto
By Nova Tony on 07/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Forester Wagon S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

After two years/20K miles of driving this car, I can say it's been the best value car I've owned -- 100% reliable, very comfortable and reassuring to drive in all types of weather and any road conditions. Hairpin curves on mountain roads to interstates, the car is quick and responsive under all conditions (including the record snow in February). We're buying a 2003 to replace our other car. I test drove the 2004 Turbo, but I've found that the normally aspirated engine gives pleanty of power for mountain and highway passing, and for me the additional turbo power is not worth the extra complexity and premium in gas consumption.

Fun Car
By stacecz on 06/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Subaru. The Forester has been extremely useful and reliable in tackling the Colorado winters and mountains. My husband and I also use the car to haul materials to remodel our home. Many of the design complaints (location of cupholder, no keyless, etc) have been remedied in the 2003 model.