Used 2002 Subaru Forester L Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

2002 Subaru Forester Wagon

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

no complaints here
By shell1006

2002 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

What a fun car to drive! I thought I wouldn't like anything as much as my Camry wagon, but the AWD is reassuring and a plus to have. Subarus rank up there with Toyotas and Hondas now; standard AWD is added bonus and durable.

Favorite Features

Body design, I like the cladding on the base model the more I look at it; comfy, stereo system, AWD, compact yet spacious!

Suggested Improvements

As always, the cupholder placement, improved heating power.

This car stinks
By buyacamry

2002 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

When we brought the car we were initially happy. After about 5k miles we noticed a problem with surging. At 10K there was a recall on the parking rod. At 16K we had an accident as a result of the surging problem. Struck vehicles front and back. Complained but Subaru does not acknowledge the problem. NHTSA had similiar complaints. Now we don't want to drive the car because its not safe. I don't recommend this car and Subaru of America does not care about your problems.

Favorite Features

Lots of pockets, AWD is great in rain,

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage poor, rear seats poor, needs to be a larger wagon. More driver and passenger leg room. Seats are hard.

pocono taxi
By meeeary

2002 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

very reliable. only thing I do not like is that teh brakes go too low to the floor, as if they are worn out. Dealer checked and says they are OK. Vary good car in the snowstorms that are common in the pennsylvania pocono mountains. Not top heavy like most suvs so less chance of tipping over.

Favorite Features

can fit lots of stuff in it without being crowded

Suggested Improvements

clock and cup holders are in dumb places. The clock is up too high and cup holder could not be in a more awkward spot.

No low-mileage drivers allowed
By cllapham

2002 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Although I love my Forester, I don't recommend it to anyone who doesn't regularly drive more than 20 miles a day. It's a great car when it starts, but mine is on it's third battery and 8th or 9th dealer visit because of dead battery problems. The dealer says it's because I don't drive enough (less than 100 miles a week). So, if you're a commuter, this is a great little car: safe, comfortable, good mileage. If you work from home... If you have a two-car family... If you live near your office... If you like to bike to work instead of always driving... This probably isn't the best car for you.

Favorite Features

Just an all-around comfortable car. I like all of the little storage nooks. I like the handle on the inside of the back gate for those of us who are height challenged.

seat problems
By wickett311

2002 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

It has been a good, dependable vehicle so far except for two things. First, there is some hesitation after a stop, and I have had the driver's seat covers replaced twice and it needs replacing again.

Favorite Features

It has a good sound system and I can really load up the rear cargo area.