2002 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
Fun Car
By stacecz on 06/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Subaru. The Forester has been extremely useful and reliable in tackling the Colorado winters and mountains. My husband and I also use the car to haul materials to remodel our home. Many of the design complaints (location of cupholder, no keyless, etc) have been remedied in the 2003 model.

Unique and Solid
By Marks on 06/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Almost 2 years of driving my first Subaru have sold me on the brand. This is a great little car. One might wish it to be a little longer, with more legroom front and back, but I picked it out and I knew what I was getting, so no complaints there. My 6'2" height just barely fits the driver's position - a taller person would have trouble. I have been very impressed by the smooth quiet engine. I would say it has not merely adequate, but "plenty" of power for average driving. And the brakes are the best I have ever driven. So far, there has been not one problem requiring dealer attention. A great car for driving in inclement, snowy weather!

Family car for 2003
By Frazier on 02/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Fun to drive, plenty of room, handles well in all driving conditions. Excellent view of road while driving.

Great car
By chadGO5 on 01/31/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We purchased the Subaru Forester for use as my wife's vehicle...however, it is our primary car for family excursions...so I am "allowed" to drive it sometimes....and I love it. For the life of me, I can't figure out why they decided to put the cupholder where they did on the dashboard. While drinks are in the cupholder, you can't see, or access some of the dash controls. The drink sits right in front of the air vents, so if you have a cold drink and the heat on, the drink is lukewarm in minutes and vice versa...anf finally, if your drink is full and you hit a bump, it spills all down the dashboard over all of your stereo controls.

My first Forester
By Casey on 10/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first Forester. I have a complaint about the back doors: it would be so much easier to get in and out if the doors would slide from the middle of the side (see mid-80's Stanzas). My older friends have trouble getting in and out. The front seats need to be able to be more upright,not reclining for driving. I have had to add a pillow to keep my back straight. Unfortunately I did not notice this problem in test driving, only when doing my regular driving. The car handles well, but needs to be 2 inches higher for ease of getting out for these old knees. I love the quiet engine, and it handles traffic well.

True love.
By Goldencouple1 on 05/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

It puts the sport back in sport/utility. A blast to drive in the mountains. A reliable car to take to the ski basin. It turned the white- knuckle road up to Ski Apache above Ruidoso, NM into a fun drive. The Subaru Forester is in its natural element on an undulating, winding mountain road. And it eats up the Interstate miles with comfort and good fuel economy, while exhibiting plenty of power for hills and passing.

Better than a Caddy
By Sue Shallow on 05/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first Subaru. Everyone else in my family owns one. I thought it was about time. After one winter I knew it was the best car I have ever owned. I will never buy anything else.

May 2002
By CJ Coffey on 05/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Wish there was a bit more room when you have kids. Back seat is a bit too close to the front seats. Next time I am buying the Forrester but with leather. Seats could be a vit more comfortable, but plenty of "cubby" holes to stash stuff... Tilt steering is very poor!

My fan-freeking-tastic Subaru Forester L
By goldencouple1 on 05/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Great in the snow. Great in the mountains. Great in the desert. Fun in town. Comfortable on the Interstate. Nimble, quick, fun. Linked S-curves, up and down hills. Just perfect.

Great car.
By theairman on 04/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is the first Subaru I have puchased.The comment I find myself making to anyone who asks, is; I love the car, I just wish there was a little more leg room up front. If the drivers front seat track would slide back a least another inch or so, I would be completely satisfied. It is the only thing that comes up short for me. I am 6'1" and anyone that is any smaller than this will probably not be affected. In all other respects, I am a very satisfied owner. It holds a lot more cargo than you think with outstanding visibility all the way around for the driver. The auto transmission is smooth and predictable. The engine has great pickup and economical as well. I typically get 26- 27 MPG.