Used 2002 Subaru Forester L Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Subaru Forester Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

First and Last Subaru
By roch_mn

2002 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Having driven mostly Toyota, this was my 1st Subaru. Currently at 70k miles. Disappointing quality even though I keep on top of regular maintenance. While under warranty the floorboard took on water and carpet was removed and dried, and the transmission was disassembled to replace bearings. I've had two O2 sensors replaced at my cost. Interior feels cheap, seats are uncomfortable, and no LATCH system for car seats. Wind noise on the highway.

AWD system works well in Minnesota winters, however, snow tires probably work just as well for much less money. I've never taken off road, nor would I intend to.

No a good car for the everyday. The AWD system is great, but is overshadowed by the everyday discomforts. Need more leg space in the backseats.

Perfect for Snowy Weather
By Newman

2002 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My Forester is great. It gets me where I need to go in any kind of weather.

6-disc in-dash CD changer is great for long trips. All wheel drive has gotten me through situations where others get stuck.

Really none, except at some point I'll be trading for a new one. :)

100K meltdown
By Paul

2002 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Our Forester was golden for 100,000 miles, but within 1K of passing into 6 digits we started to have problems. Most were annoying little things like the clock stopped working, the compass became wildly inaccurate and the low fuel light failed to go on. There were major problems with the front wheels. The paint job seems to easily scratch.

The AWD is a super feature and the main reason we bought the car. The car is easy to load and has a surprisingly large interior.

The little lights and gadgets must be more durable as should the paint job. And, of course, the front cup holder needs to be placed more conveniently.

Bulletproof
By kaye132

2002 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My first Subaru, I am pleased with this little used car used mostly for commuting in the city. The quality and reliability on a car with over 100,000 miles is impressive for what I paid. My wife and kids use this car constantly and although we have 5 vehicles, this is the one constantly in use. It feels safe and solid especially in mean city driving.

Exceptional stereo system, quick responsive power, nimble feel, very utilitarian.

The cupholders placement is bad. A little more room for the driver's left foot would be nice.

In a heartbeat
By Tebester

2002 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first Subaru. From the beginning there have been no significant problems. The check engine light has come on a few times due to the gas cap not being tight. From time to time the gas gauge reading is off, but it pretty quickly resumes a normal reading. It gets 26 mph on the freeway doing 75. There have been no fit and finish problems. I avoid dealers like the plague. Change oil every 3000 miles myself and have replaced the filters when needed. I just love this car and wouldn't hesitate to buy another after the reliability I've seen so far in almost four years.

Great sound system.

I'm a big guy. I wouldn't mind about two more inches of seat extension on driver's side. Wouldn't want to be the passenger behind me though!