2002 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
Bought used in 2011 - my 6th Subaru
By sstevek on 02/14/12 18:58 PM (PST)

2002 Subaru Forester S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Had a 2002 Outback automatic - a great car but wanted to go back to a manual transmission. Really enjoy driving this Forester - somehow it rides better than the Outback with a shorter wheelbase. Excellent visibility, easy to get in and out of. Geared lower than my '98 Outback which turned around 3200 rpm @ 65mph, the Forester is around 2750. Engine has enough torque to handle moderate hills in 5th gear. Never feels under powered. A lot of room for it's size - cargo capacity very close to an '02 Grand Cherokee. Feels like a sports car with high seating. Bought it at 98k, have about 104k now. Not a concern since I have a company vehicle.

Going for 300K!
By Vern on 04/12/10 04:23 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Forester S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my Forester in Feb of 2002. It was one of only a handle of vehicles around that fit my requirements: storage room for my dj equipment, AWD, great fuel economy, and manual trans. I just went over 250K last week and my goal for 300K is within reach. Once I hit 300K, then I will be shopping for a new Forester. Vehicle handles well and is very reliable. I replaced original clutch at 190K! May not need another one before 300K.

Shoulda bought a Honda
By GPgurl on 07/22/08 19:54 PM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Forester S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Subaru after reading glowing reviews. Everything was great until I reached about 60000 miles. after an expensive $1800 head gasket replacement and 2 axle replacements, leaking bushings, and a check engine light that's been on since 80,000 miles - I feel robbed-like I'm purchasing the same car all over again one repair at a time. I'm torn between taking my chances with the check engine light and just driving it for a couple more years and getting a Honda. The dealers are no help at all.

176 plus, and still no sign of stopping
By stephen on 07/21/08 21:30 PM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Forester S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my first Subie on May 5th in 01. It had only six miles. Since then, I've racked up just over 176,000 with no problems whatsoever. I kid you not. It still has the original clutch and I put new brakes on about a year ago for the very first time. I average about 28 mix and 31 highway. It's a five speed manual and that accounts for the great gas mileage. The only thing I've done to is change the oil religiously and had a new water pump and timing belt but in at 120k. This car just keeps going and going. I live in Denver and frequent the slopes in the winter and work in Blackhawk. So the car has seen more than it's fair share of snow, rain, and hot summers.

2002 Subaru Forester
By Ac Cars on 01/04/08 13:49 PM (PST)

2002 Subaru Forester S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Well I think it should REALLY have improved comfort/road noise!! Also it doesn't have good brakes or reliable cup holders. Mine broke in less than a year! Also those dark/light gray seats soak up way too much sun. I would not recommend it.

Great all-round vehicle
By wx_geek on 12/08/07 09:49 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Forester S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

2002 Subaru Forester S A/T We purchased our Forester used from the original owners who needed a mini van. It now has 85k miles. We bought it while living in Wisconsin. It is the perfect all-weather vehicle. I have driven it in the worst of snow storms with several un-plowed inches of snow on the road and it has never once gotten stuck. I will caution that the Geolanders it comes with should be replaced if they have more than 40k miles on them as their snow traction is gone, even though they technically have tread left. We replaced ours after they caused us to lose traction during a storm and spun us around. We replaced them with Continental Conti-Extreme Contacts and they are great.

Best small SUV out there
By Amandrew in MI on 10/01/07 11:35 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Forester S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new Nov. 2001, 100K miles as of today. Pros: I'm 6'4" and fit fine, but barely; 25-27 mpg in mixed city/hwy; replaced clutch at 90K miles, which is pretty good; AWD is awesome; have driven in my grandma's sandy-soiled Michigan pasture off-road in all 4 seasons without getting stuck! Cons: auto-dimming mirror failed at 20K miles but was not covered under warranty, not worth $250 to replace; check engine light has come on 4 times between 30K and 100K - vacuum hose, emission control module, air/fuel sensor, and a 4th problem to be found at shop this week. None expensive, but none under warranty.

Perfect Car/SUV
By ahc on 04/23/07 14:32 PM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Forester S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my car brand new. It was absolutely the best car. It went through anything, snow, rain, etc. It was 10 out of 10 reliable. Never gave me any trouble. I would recommend this car to anyone. It is reasonably priced, a super, super deal, and I loved it.

I'm a walking Subaru advertisement
By Single mom on 04/07/07 09:46 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Forester S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased new 2002. Not a single day's problem. No recalls, reasonable insurance premium, great gas mileage, normal maintenance. Handles like a car. Quick response, great power when needed. Comfortable, roomy, reliable, lots of standard features. I still own it and feel safe with my teenagers driving it, esp. in winter snow and rain. Excellent safety rating. Far exceeded my expectations for a compact SUV. Cargo room with seats down is a blessing! It's going to take a lot to get me away from purchasing a new model. Over 35 years, this has been the BEST car I have ever owned. Cup holder placement has been improved.

Love this Car!
By avezan on 04/14/06 11:01 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Forester S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car. I bought it new in 2002. Traded a micro Toyota for it because I was pregnant with my first child. I didn't want a mommy-mobile, but knew I would need more room. This car exceeded my expectations! Super fun to drive. Amazing handling in snow and rain. I live on a mountain and drive up a steep dirt road to get to my house. If it hadn't been for this car, I would not have made it in the winter. I am sadly selling it now to move to an even bigger car. I have 2 toddler car seats in the back, and the kids' feet are right up against the back of the front seats. Also, what seemed like a lot of cargo space before I had kids has been shrinking with each passing year.