2002 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
First and Last Subaru
By roch_mn on 09/15/08 10:16 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Having driven mostly Toyota, this was my 1st Subaru. Currently at 70k miles. Disappointing quality even though I keep on top of regular maintenance. While under warranty the floorboard took on water and carpet was removed and dried, and the transmission was disassembled to replace bearings. I've had two O2 sensors replaced at my cost. Interior feels cheap, seats are uncomfortable, and no LATCH system for car seats. Wind noise on the highway.

Perfect for Snowy Weather
By Newman on 08/28/08 07:34 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My Forester is great. It gets me where I need to go in any kind of weather.

100K meltdown
By Paul on 02/27/07 18:27 PM (PST)

2002 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Our Forester was golden for 100,000 miles, but within 1K of passing into 6 digits we started to have problems. Most were annoying little things like the clock stopped working, the compass became wildly inaccurate and the low fuel light failed to go on. There were major problems with the front wheels. The paint job seems to easily scratch.

Bulletproof
By kaye132 on 11/02/05 11:00 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My first Subaru, I am pleased with this little used car used mostly for commuting in the city. The quality and reliability on a car with over 100,000 miles is impressive for what I paid. My wife and kids use this car constantly and although we have 5 vehicles, this is the one constantly in use. It feels safe and solid especially in mean city driving.

In a heartbeat
By Tebester on 03/16/05 23:42 PM (PST)

2002 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first Subaru. From the beginning there have been no significant problems. The check engine light has come on a few times due to the gas cap not being tight. From time to time the gas gauge reading is off, but it pretty quickly resumes a normal reading. It gets 26 mph on the freeway doing 75. There have been no fit and finish problems. I avoid dealers like the plague. Change oil every 3000 miles myself and have replaced the filters when needed. I just love this car and wouldn't hesitate to buy another after the reliability I've seen so far in almost four years.

no complaints here
By shell1006 on 02/02/05 21:28 PM (PST)

2002 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

What a fun car to drive! I thought I wouldn't like anything as much as my Camry wagon, but the AWD is reassuring and a plus to have. Subarus rank up there with Toyotas and Hondas now; standard AWD is added bonus and durable.

This car stinks
By buyacamry on 05/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

When we brought the car we were initially happy. After about 5k miles we noticed a problem with surging. At 10K there was a recall on the parking rod. At 16K we had an accident as a result of the surging problem. Struck vehicles front and back. Complained but Subaru does not acknowledge the problem. NHTSA had similiar complaints. Now we don't want to drive the car because its not safe. I don't recommend this car and Subaru of America does not care about your problems.

pocono taxi
By meeeary on 03/14/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

very reliable. only thing I do not like is that teh brakes go too low to the floor, as if they are worn out. Dealer checked and says they are OK. Vary good car in the snowstorms that are common in the pennsylvania pocono mountains. Not top heavy like most suvs so less chance of tipping over.

No low-mileage drivers allowed
By cllapham on 11/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Although I love my Forester, I don't recommend it to anyone who doesn't regularly drive more than 20 miles a day. It's a great car when it starts, but mine is on it's third battery and 8th or 9th dealer visit because of dead battery problems. The dealer says it's because I don't drive enough (less than 100 miles a week). So, if you're a commuter, this is a great little car: safe, comfortable, good mileage. If you work from home... If you have a two-car family... If you live near your office... If you like to bike to work instead of always driving... This probably isn't the best car for you.

seat problems
By wickett311 on 11/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

It has been a good, dependable vehicle so far except for two things. First, there is some hesitation after a stop, and I have had the driver's seat covers replaced twice and it needs replacing again.