2001 Subaru Forester 2.5L 4-cyl. AWD 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - Most Reliable Car I Have

2001 Subaru Forester - Consumer Review

L Wagon (2.5L 4-cyl. AWD 5-speed Manual)

Most Reliable Car I Have Owned!
By Kirk on

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my Forester for almost nine years and 90,500 miles. There have minimal maintenance issues, it is always reliable and gets respectable mileage on my way to work, about 25.5 mpg. This little SUV is very practical: the liberal hauling capacity is somewhat deceptive as I am frequently surprised over how much the cargo space holds. I have hauled some furniture items and building materials that other people were sure would never fit! We like this little SUV so much that we are considering buying a new Forester. Without a doubt, this has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned.

Favorite Features

The SUV is fun to drive, much more fun than my old Ford Explorer. It easily handles speed humps, corners nicely, and really hugs the road in town and the open highway. My wife and I both found the interior just "fit" us, and that's what finally sold us on the vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

The exterior design is a bit stodgy, looking more like a boxy station wagon than an SUV. There is a rattle in the tailgate that sometimes is a bit annoying, but if that's the worst of my car complaints, then I am truly fortunate. Besides, I can always just turn up the stereo!