2001 Subaru Forester Consumer Review: Reliable on everything

2001 Subaru Forester - Consumer Review

Reliable on everything
By JP on

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought it new and have had minimal repairs and total reliability. Have replaced both boot cover for axle (too close to muffler-bad design) and at 160000 am replacing timing belt. Only minor expected brake part replacement and tires. Drive on dirt roads and in the Rocky Mountains and it is great. I drive a great deal and never feel I am at risk. This car handles snowy roads very well. I have even gone off the road into a ditch (my stupidity) and was able to keep it upright and get right back on (snowy dirt road). So I am guessing that rollovers are not common. If that had been my old explorer, I would have rolled. Best AWD around as far as I am concerned

AWD and low maintenance costs. Lots of cargo space. Good head room. Reliability. I actually had to tow (on pavement with no big hills) our F250 with a 4 horse trailer hooked to it when it died and it was no problem for my little Subie. Great ad idea!

Again-bad design on cup rack-poor quality and splashes into controls and CD player. Not great for my 6+ foot husband (he "wears it") since seat does not go back far enough. Check engine light due to gas cap tightness never goes off. 26-27 MPG not good enough these days.