I love my Forester, but
By Tirzah on
2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)
Love driving the Forester...the AWD is a life-saver in winter. But mine is plagued by reliability problems. Four times we had to replace wheel bearings, starting at 15K miles, last at 104K miles. Had bad spark plug wires at 40K. Catalytic converter went at 96K. Now my radio-6-CD player started to burn up at 106K, and I needed new engine gaskets and valve seals. This isn't what I expected of Subaru. This is my 3rd Subaru...previously kept a Loyale wagon until 239K miles...I don't think this Forester will last that long. I just bought a Toyota Highlander to make sure I had a more reliable car. We'll hold on to the Forester as a second car, until we can afford a replacement.
Favorite Features
Comfortable to drive for someone with arthritis. Fun to drive. Acceptable gas mileage--I get about 25 mph. It always gets me home in bad weather. Love the defrosting outside mirrors, heated seats--super for winter.
Suggested Improvements
In later versions the cup holder was moved. 2001 version allows your hot drinks to get cold from the A/c in summer and your cold drinks to get warm in the winter.