Good and bad
By CB-Bothell, WA. on
2001 Subaru Forester S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)
Bought it new. It is an S with Premium package which only comes with an auto transmission. For a small car it is generally quiet, smooth engine, drives well and is fun to drive and returns reasonable gas mileage (I average 23 - 25 mpg). Driving position is very good, seats are good (a bit too hard), storage space very good, very good stereo. Back seat is fair (insufficient leg room) and cup holders poor. First three years were reliable. Since turning 38,000 miles have replaced alternator at 38,612 miles and at 42,271 miles knock sensor failed. Both on my tab. Repair costs are high for this auto. I like my Subaru, it has a lot going for it, but I will not purchase another, due to reliability issues.
Favorite Features
Driveability, storage space, ride, quietness, stereo, engine (outside of reliability issues), transmission, AWD, overall dimensions.
Suggested Improvements
Upgrade interior plastics, change cup holder design (done on newer models), keep overall length the same but increase wheelbase. Make it it's own platform. Massive increase in reliability. If boxer engine cannot be made more reliable change to more standard design.