2001 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
Quirky but fun and reliable
By elgreen on 02/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Subaru Forester S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Okay, so the Forester is neither car nor SUV, but it's still roomy, reliable, reasonably thrifty (compared to competitors in the compact SUV market) and is fun to drive. Okay, so being low to the ground with fat 16" tires isn't going to make it an off-roader anytime soon, but that same low to the ground trait also makes it fun to drive, and the 165 horsepower engine moves its 3,000 pounds around with reasonable alacrity.

Made A Bad Choice
By RichardM on 02/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Happy with my Subaru???? Not a chance. 2001 Forester, 38,000 miles and I get a check engine light. OK, probably just a loose gas cap, NO. Take it to the dealer and guess what, blown head gasket, ruined O2 sensors, ruined cats. What gives here? I though these were the best of breed for these kinds of cars. I'm really upset, disappointed. I have a habit of buying multiple copies of a car if I like it and was just test driving an H6 Outback last weekend. Forester will be traded for a Hyundai Santa Fe, I'll be buying the XG350 for myself. Pretty sad these Subaru's.

Better than my Jeep Cherokee!
By jmsillers on 01/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Subaru Forester S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Coming from a '95 Jeep Cherokee and having them both in a Minnesota winter I can say that the traction and control of the AWD system greatly outperformed teh Selec-Trac and All-Time 4WD system of the Jeep. while the Jeep slid and tailed a bit on ide and soft snow, the Subaru was easier to control and more predictable. I also shopped for a 2001 Cherokee and found that little had changed in the 5 years since Jeep had made my '95 Cherokee. The interior had been upgraded but still lacked the comfort and amenities of the Forester.

Great (if not ugly) car!
By kaylynn42 on 10/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Has been very reliable. Get's decent fuel economy. Definitely needs a V6 (Gonna get killed merging on the freeway one of these days!) Holds a lot of gear for camping and shopping. Could use a little more towing power. Cupholders not in the best spot. Seat warmers are awesome. Heater and A/C do wonderfully. LOVE the huge moonroof. Nice, smooth ride. Does great in the snow/ice. I feel very comfortable in its ability without feeling overly confident and cocky. Wish for more of a color choice on the S Premium than just the monoscheme red, white, black or silver.

Solid but better service please...
By kalsank on 10/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Drives well and is made well. Lots of decent features in the S model. Ideal for NW driving conditions (rain/snow).

love it but the bearing
By loveitbut on 10/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We just love our Forester. We did however have some problems with the rear bearings. After replacing them under warranty four times, Subaru gave us an extrended warranty and sealed bearing. It was lots of hassle to get this done but now we love it.

health check-up
By kmisenor on 09/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The car is reliable and can be towed behind a motor home.This was a feature we were looking for when purchased the car. It also works well as everyday run around car.

Forester rocks!
By oareagle on 09/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2001 Forester new in April 2000 for my wife, and couldn't be more pleased. It handles great, even more so once we replaced the crappy Firestones with some Michelin X-ones, and it has more than enough power for conquering other vehicles on the road. Got a five- speed, and it's a kick to leave a BMW or Miata at the light on a rainy day, when the all-wheel-drive virtually eliminates any spin. It's all-wheel-drive traction, all good. And it's got a low center of gravity that allows you to whip it around curves with no worries.

Forester L
By brh1020 on 09/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car is perfect for me and my dog. It is equally comfortable around town and also on moderate back roads. The clearance is great (compared to my old Maxima!) and I get great gas mileage (30/26).

Replace The Tires!
By herrfish1 on 09/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The Forester is a pretty good little SUV, but could stand some improvements. The front cupholder position is terrible, as others have said. The original Bridgestone Duelers lasted less than 24,000 miles. I replaced them with Yokohoma Avid Touring tires from Tirerack.com and found a great deal of improvement in ride and handling! And apparently, all Subaru service dealers are trained the same way. Nothing is ever wrong with these vehicles that isn't "normal for that model!" When my lease is up, I'll be looking at the Honda CR-V and Toyota Rav4 as a replacement.