2001 Subaru Forester Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
should have stuck to honda
By naturallite on 06/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

milage and handling is great for a suv, havent had any problems with the engine, but the interior is made of cheap materials, feels like cloth over cardboard, cup holders are a joke, what kind of an engineer designed those? , small covered conpartments in the doors are flimsey and the hinges bend, have taken it to two dealers (40 milers away) no dealers in small towns, and was told nothing they could do, but I shouldnt lean so hard on arm rests? give me a break, they shouldnt have put hinges there in the first place, overhaul the interior to quality, and they would have a good product.

Not all I was lead to believe
By Tim from MA on 06/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The right size, but some serious flaws. Emergency braking is poor due to very spongy brakes - not unique to my car, I test drove another one after a near accident and found it to be the same. Engine frequently runs rough/stalls on cool/cold (20~50F) damp mornings, but dealer can not find problem. Mileage runs from 25MPG pure hiway to 18 around town, even with light foot. Clutch has bad "judder" that comes and goes. Rear seat space is very tight.

I like it, but...
By Roadman on 06/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car for reliability, however I've had problems. The front boot on the axle broke and cost 200.00 to fix.(the dealer wanted 500.00! The "check engine" light was on for 35,000 miles and the dealer told me twice that it was a "bad" computer chip. It was the catalytic converter, which needed to be replaced (which is why the light goes on in the first place) These knuckleheads should have fixed it in the first place! NOW, my "all wheel drive" gears are frozen. It's going to cost at least 1,000.00 to fix at a local mechanic's place and I don't even want to think what the dealer would charge, they're crooks.

Don't buy a Subaru
By KBUN on 05/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Had problems with the check engine light, the AT Oil Temp light, and the transmission that the dealership could not resolve. Service at AMD Subaru in North Hampton NH is terrible - the worst I've ever experienced.

Rode Hard and Put Away Wet
By MoabIL 1 on 05/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Needed a vehicle for annual trips from IL to the southern UT backcountry. The carlike ride and good gas mileage (25/31 w/ 5- speed) make the long haul across Kansas bearable. Great off-road--has handled rivers, mud and sand, bare rock, snow and freezing rain, but the lack of a low range transfer case means crawling up or down rocky inclines is not an option. The trade-off for the on-road performance and fuel economy is worth it. Minor complaints after 38,500 miles: fuel filler door won't stay closed and Bridgestone Duelers sucked. The interior is spartan but has plenty of room for 3 weeks' worth of food and camping gear.

I love my forester!
By cray on 04/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Forester. It has all the room I need for a family and a dog, but handles like a car not a truck. An SUV that is comfy and fits into "compact car" parking spaces! Plus, all the features that are options on the competition were standard on my Forester. A great value and a great vehicle for an SUV driver that doesn't like trucks!

Simply Perfect For My needs
By Troutbum on 03/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My 2001 S has exactly the features I wanted with having to pay for things that I did not want;heated everything, 5 spd, sporty handling, good gas mileage, good stereo, terrfic AWD etc.,I live in Northern Ontario we get a lot of snow and inclement weather but my Forrester has a stick to the road security that I have never before experienced.I have two Great Danes that can actually be comfortable in the back with the seats down and thanks to the massive headroom. I recently received a 2003 Toyota Highlander with AWD as a company car but I do prefer driving my Forester.I have averagd 34 mpg in cruise control at 60 miles an hour over long drives.

Glad to own a Subaru
By Topher on 03/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I am already anticipating paying my current Forester to purchase the latest iteration! It is a great, dependable vehicle with few flaws.

like it is
By ralphandro on 03/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Tires look great but aren't very good in the snow should use better tires for snow use since car is sold to be used in snow. A lot of small problems brake noise,fuel filler cap broke,Ox sensor went.

Good car for the price!
By SJH on 02/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Am a Subaru driver since 1990 ... this is a fine car, with very good reliability and, for an SUV, good gas mileage. Works great for me, someone who needs a wagon for dog and equipment. Appreciate it's sportiness, as well.