2001 Subaru Forester L Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

2001 Forester Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Sort Reviews by

should have stuck to honda
By naturallite

2001 Subaru Forester S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

milage and handling is great for a suv, havent had any problems with the engine, but the interior is made of cheap materials, feels like cloth over cardboard, cup holders are a joke, what kind of an engineer designed those? , small covered conpartments in the doors are flimsey and the hinges bend, have taken it to two dealers (40 milers away) no dealers in small towns, and was told nothing they could do, but I shouldnt lean so hard on arm rests? give me a break, they shouldnt have put hinges there in the first place, overhaul the interior to quality, and they would have a good product.

Favorite Features

traction on wet surfaces, engine reliability, fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Use a quality interior, instead of the flimsey cheap stuff, re position cup holders, add about 5" to overall length, to get more room in the back seat

Not all I was lead to believe
By Tim from MA

2001 Subaru Forester S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The right size, but some serious flaws. Emergency braking is poor due to very spongy brakes - not unique to my car, I test drove another one after a near accident and found it to be the same. Engine frequently runs rough/stalls on cool/cold (20~50F) damp mornings, but dealer can not find problem. Mileage runs from 25MPG pure hiway to 18 around town, even with light foot. Clutch has bad "judder" that comes and goes. Rear seat space is very tight.

Favorite Features

Roof rack! Great for two kayaks, very solid, (optional) factory supplied Yakima bars. Giant moonroof is awesome.

Suggested Improvements

Fix above mentioned issues!

I like it, but...
By Roadman

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car for reliability, however I've had problems. The front boot on the axle broke and cost 200.00 to fix.(the dealer wanted 500.00! The "check engine" light was on for 35,000 miles and the dealer told me twice that it was a "bad" computer chip. It was the catalytic converter, which needed to be replaced (which is why the light goes on in the first place) These knuckleheads should have fixed it in the first place! NOW, my "all wheel drive" gears are frozen. It's going to cost at least 1,000.00 to fix at a local mechanic's place and I don't even want to think what the dealer would charge, they're crooks.

Favorite Features

good gas mileage, engine has a lot of pep, cargo space is good

Suggested Improvements

drivers seat uncomfortable, reliability issues

Don't buy a Subaru
By KBUN

2001 Subaru Forester S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Had problems with the check engine light, the AT Oil Temp light, and the transmission that the dealership could not resolve. Service at AMD Subaru in North Hampton NH is terrible - the worst I've ever experienced.

Favorite Features

Car is plain-jane. Nothing special about it.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders are placed in front of the heating/AC vents. Hope they fired the engineer responsible for this brilliant idea.

Rode Hard and Put Away Wet
By MoabIL 1

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Needed a vehicle for annual trips from IL to the southern UT backcountry. The carlike ride and good gas mileage (25/31 w/ 5- speed) make the long haul across Kansas bearable. Great off-road--has handled rivers, mud and sand, bare rock, snow and freezing rain, but the lack of a low range transfer case means crawling up or down rocky inclines is not an option. The trade-off for the on-road performance and fuel economy is worth it. Minor complaints after 38,500 miles: fuel filler door won't stay closed and Bridgestone Duelers sucked. The interior is spartan but has plenty of room for 3 weeks' worth of food and camping gear.

Favorite Features

Versatility without major compromises in ride quality, fuel economy, reliability or performance.

Suggested Improvements

Make the center dash storage compartment the cupholder location--it can't be that hard to design something that would be an improvement on the existing setup. Give me low range gearing at a reasonable price!

I love my forester!
By cray

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Forester. It has all the room I need for a family and a dog, but handles like a car not a truck. An SUV that is comfy and fits into "compact car" parking spaces! Plus, all the features that are options on the competition were standard on my Forester. A great value and a great vehicle for an SUV driver that doesn't like trucks!

Suggested Improvements

move cupholders - they cover climate controls. add vanity mirrors to L model

Simply Perfect For My needs
By Troutbum

2001 Subaru Forester S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My 2001 S has exactly the features I wanted with having to pay for things that I did not want;heated everything, 5 spd, sporty handling, good gas mileage, good stereo, terrfic AWD etc.,I live in Northern Ontario we get a lot of snow and inclement weather but my Forrester has a stick to the road security that I have never before experienced.I have two Great Danes that can actually be comfortable in the back with the seats down and thanks to the massive headroom. I recently received a 2003 Toyota Highlander with AWD as a company car but I do prefer driving my Forester.I have averagd 34 mpg in cruise control at 60 miles an hour over long drives.

Favorite Features

AWD, heated everything,handling,stereo

Suggested Improvements

better cup holders, more up to date interior, better OEM tires- Geolanders are best on drive pavement

Glad to own a Subaru
By Topher

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I am already anticipating paying my current Forester to purchase the latest iteration! It is a great, dependable vehicle with few flaws.

Favorite Features

AWD, thoughful design (ie- full size spare stored inside with cooler in the middle, sunglass storage)

Suggested Improvements

Turbo!! Make it so the windows in front go all the way down so your elbows are safe! Front seats very uncomfortable after riding more that 2 hours.

like it is
By ralphandro

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Tires look great but aren't very good in the snow should use better tires for snow use since car is sold to be used in snow. A lot of small problems brake noise,fuel filler cap broke,Ox sensor went.

Favorite Features

Handy design

Good car for the price!
By SJH

2001 Subaru Forester S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Am a Subaru driver since 1990 ... this is a fine car, with very good reliability and, for an SUV, good gas mileage. Works great for me, someone who needs a wagon for dog and equipment. Appreciate it's sportiness, as well.