Used 2001 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews - 108 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Safe, Excellent Reliability Car
By Subaru Owner

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my Forester for over 6 years now and could not be more pleased. The AWD is very safe in the rain and ice. We even tried to get it to slide in bad weather and couldn't get it to! It has been very reliable and dependable and has held up well. I have only replaced one wheel bearing since I owned the car, everything else has been perfect. I would recommend this car to anyone who wants a safe reliable car that is very comfortable to drive.

AWD; traction control.

More cup holders!

Two Thumbs Down/2001 Forester S
By Robin

2001 Subaru Forester S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

After careful research and Edmunds info I bought this car new. I never will buy a Subaru again! The Geolander tires, were horrible-replaced them at 20k. Had to replace at 21k rear brake pads/rotors and had one faulty front bearing (that was replaced free). Then at 27k had to replace front brake pads/disc. Factory didn't cover any of it and once again another faulty bearing, this time it was the rear. I had to fight with the dealer garage to get that bearing at no charge! Now at 31k I just noticed my rotors are etched! Which at this rate my brakes/rotors are needing replacement every 9K miles. This car has only 31k, is 6 yrs old. The dealership tired to blame me for the brakes-saying I didn't drive it enough.

This car was good for the first few years but is going down hill fast. I guess my favorite feature is that it still runs. But it does handle real well.

Called Subaru-got no help from them. They suggested I call my dealer-got ping-ponged back and forth. My suggestion-Subaru should back their defected brake/rotors/disc problems. I see I'm not the only one having these problems. Also radio light went dead and clock went dead; not a fuse problem. Shame on Subaru.

Newly Purchased Used 2001 Forester
By Donald Hilfiger

2001 Subaru Forester S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I just purchased this used 2001 Subaru Forester. Dealer allowed me to take overnight for my mechanic's inspection the next day. Spunky, peppy for a 4 cylinder engine. Handled hills real well, felt solid for a small car. Liked big windshield, heated seats and 6-CD system.

Windshield size (big), nice stereo system, lots of bigger SUV features but in a 4 cylinder.

Need heftier doors, better front storage, middle arm-rest, and less-flimsy front visors

Great All-Wheel Drive for Money!
By Karla

2001 Subaru Forester S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I got the "Protector" for undercarriage all-wheel drive mechanism, dust protector for back window. The twin cup-holder position bounces coffee and pop into heating/ac vent so they break off and need replacement from sticky goo and trying to vent in different directions. Very dependable and comfortable car especially on hills in San Francisco!

Seats in front 'rock' and seat heater is terrific.

Better cup holders and put in better spot.

Will never again buy a Subaru
By JK

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Before I bought this lemon, I had always owned Toyota vehicles. The reason I bought this was because of some good reviews in Consumer Reports for this car. I regretted my decision within a year of owning it. The engineering is really bad. Every doing simple things like changing the air filter was a chore. Problems that usually surface in Toyotas at 150K miles started occurring with this lemon at 20k miles. Brakes wearing off, check engine lights, sluggish engine performance etc. Another problem with this car is that since Subarus are not as popular as Toyotas, and also because of its idiot engineering under the hood, repair shops don't know how to service it.

Check engine light!

100K mile bumper to bumper warranty with loaner cars from the dealership.