2001 Subaru Forester Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
I'll do it again
By ForesterAgain on 03/27/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Superb handling, great looks, a c0ouple of issues with the oxygen sensor and the right front inner steerin/drive boot are all that prevent this form being an ideal auto for the money. This was my first, but definitely not my last Subaru!

When the going gets tough
By Depressed Subaru on 03/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Well, it all started well. Then the warranty expired and so did the rear- wheel bearings three times, then the Catalytic converter... I loved this car, now I can't wait to unload it. I drive waiting for the next thing to start buzzing, humming, or cracking. Oh hey, the great oversized windshield had to be replaced three times... But, the silver lining is that you can sell the car fast to dealers shipping overseas. Wonder why?

subaru forester
By Bill McKay on 03/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is our third subaru. We have never had any problems and they drive excellent on our Utah winter roads. I've run a impreza through 10 or 12 inches of snow on level ground without getting stuck. The only complaint is that it will not accomodate three child seats so we must sell it and buy something other than a Subaru. It also gets in the mid twenties to the mile in fuel economy.

Started out well then downhill
By Harstar on 02/21/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This vehicle was nice until the warranty expired. Within 500 miles of the 36000 mile expiration, I had to replace the stereo and the MAP sensor. The lid of the center dash compartment doesn't close right. Check engine light started coming on in regular intervals which mechanic said was 02 sensor and after another 2000 miles it was running so roughly that it needed a major tune- up. Less than 100 miles later the coil went on it. It is still not running right. Mechanic is puzzled and I am frustrated.

Subaru Forester 2001
By RFSAssoc on 02/13/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Continue to have electrical problems with Headlights and Blinkers. Fixed 3 times, always comes back. Dealers have been great to deal with, always think they have it fixed

This is a fabulous car
By FTCBN on 11/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is a fabulous car. Excellent steering, traction, road feel and mileage. Super reliable.

Not up to the reputation
By doverbync on 09/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Recently traded my Foester in for another make and model. From day one, the car had problems with the clutch (shuddering when cold). Dealer never could/would try to fix it. Had many concerns from reading this forum and others about wheel bearings and windshield glass (mine had a chip in it when traded) and interior quality in general. This car was not up to the hype given by Consumer Reports and other magazines that did not live with one for more than a month or so. Would not recommend this car again!

Does Everything Pretty Well
By BDR on 08/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for 3 years and the only surprise repair has been the radiator which had a small leak. It was fixed under warranty my cost was my time. The car is a nice compromise of fun, safety, comfort, looks and performance. It is faster than the Honda or Toyota and it can haul a fair amount of stuff. Gas mileage is not great and the back seat is only for kids. Slipping dangerously on snow requires a determined driver. I would buy this car again.

Don't buy a Subaru
By dontbuyasubaru on 07/24/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Don't buy this heap, nothing but trouble from day one. Check Engine light came on, took it to dealer (Car Mart Subaru in Wilmington) charged for 30K service when the car had 20K miles in order to fix light (came back on and is still on). AC is so-so. Wheel bearing replaced at 30k. Last week the rear view mirror fell off! I'm going back to Honda, I'll never buy another Subaru,very poor customer relations/support.

Great car for a great value!
By Seagal on 07/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I had my "suberari" for 3 years now and I love it! It's great in the snow, on dirt roads and handles great in the rain. The Forester offers the same engine as the Outback for a lot less. A great value all around.