Used 2001 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

I love my Subaru!
By dm Rochester, MN

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first car and I am very impressed by the shape that is in after 120k miles. I bought it for the safety ratings and great winter handling. I am planning to drive it another 10 years. Thanks Subaru!

Favorite Features

No maintenance beside oil changes, great visibility, cheap ownership.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holder design.

blowin in the wind
By gina

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Not only has my check engine light been on FOREVER, my major complaint is this is the most uncomfortable vehicle I've ever owned. Wow, the seat is KILLER on my back if I'm in it over an hour. Cup holders are cheap and in the way? What were they thinking? This car blows all over in any kind of wind. Heat is great, gas mileage is less than great. Radio is not great either. So far I'm at 130,000 and I haven't had to put too much work into it, but the comfort factor is zero! Oh my aching back!

Favorite Features

awd in Michigan winter was nice, although last year I got stuck twice anyway.

Suggested Improvements

Better seats, this thing throws my back out for weeks after a trip. OUCH! And how about some better gas mileage? I get about 22 on the highway!

Safe, Excellent Reliability Car
By Subaru Owner

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my Forester for over 6 years now and could not be more pleased. The AWD is very safe in the rain and ice. We even tried to get it to slide in bad weather and couldn't get it to! It has been very reliable and dependable and has held up well. I have only replaced one wheel bearing since I owned the car, everything else has been perfect. I would recommend this car to anyone who wants a safe reliable car that is very comfortable to drive.

Favorite Features

AWD; traction control.

Suggested Improvements

More cup holders!

Two Thumbs Down/2001 Forester S
By Robin

2001 Subaru Forester S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

After careful research and Edmunds info I bought this car new. I never will buy a Subaru again! The Geolander tires, were horrible-replaced them at 20k. Had to replace at 21k rear brake pads/rotors and had one faulty front bearing (that was replaced free). Then at 27k had to replace front brake pads/disc. Factory didn't cover any of it and once again another faulty bearing, this time it was the rear. I had to fight with the dealer garage to get that bearing at no charge! Now at 31k I just noticed my rotors are etched! Which at this rate my brakes/rotors are needing replacement every 9K miles. This car has only 31k, is 6 yrs old. The dealership tired to blame me for the brakes-saying I didn't drive it enough.

Favorite Features

This car was good for the first few years but is going down hill fast. I guess my favorite feature is that it still runs. But it does handle real well.

Suggested Improvements

Called Subaru-got no help from them. They suggested I call my dealer-got ping-ponged back and forth. My suggestion-Subaru should back their defected brake/rotors/disc problems. I see I'm not the only one having these problems. Also radio light went dead and clock went dead; not a fuse problem. Shame on Subaru.

Newly Purchased Used 2001 Forester
By Donald Hilfiger

2001 Subaru Forester S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I just purchased this used 2001 Subaru Forester. Dealer allowed me to take overnight for my mechanic's inspection the next day. Spunky, peppy for a 4 cylinder engine. Handled hills real well, felt solid for a small car. Liked big windshield, heated seats and 6-CD system.

Favorite Features

Windshield size (big), nice stereo system, lots of bigger SUV features but in a 4 cylinder.

Suggested Improvements

Need heftier doors, better front storage, middle arm-rest, and less-flimsy front visors