2001 Subaru Forester Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
Great Car
By VTJoe on 10/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My 2001 Forester is a great car. It does everything I ask it to do. I've never been short of space, it handles well, and many of the amenities make it fun to drive. There are never any problems with the service at Van Bortel Subaru in Victor, NY. Below book prices, no pressure from the service people and they do everything they can to make you want to come back.

I love my Forester, but
By Tirzah on 10/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Love driving the Forester...the AWD is a life-saver in winter. But mine is plagued by reliability problems. Four times we had to replace wheel bearings, starting at 15K miles, last at 104K miles. Had bad spark plug wires at 40K. Catalytic converter went at 96K. Now my radio-6-CD player started to burn up at 106K, and I needed new engine gaskets and valve seals. This isn't what I expected of Subaru. This is my 3rd Subaru...previously kept a Loyale wagon until 239K miles...I don't think this Forester will last that long. I just bought a Toyota Highlander to make sure I had a more reliable car. We'll hold on to the Forester as a second car, until we can afford a replacement.

Rust
By tuscansun on 08/31/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I noticed very early on the car tended to rust some. This concerned me because of Subaru's reputation for rust. There are several spots but the dealer does not acknowledge a problem. On the postive side the car handles well and goes extremely well in snow. I would definitely purchase another one if the rusting situation can be resolved.

Great for everything
By t in colorado on 08/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Forester used (lease return with 37000 miles), got the 30k maitenance done and a clean bill of health, then drove halfway across the country and back. The sight lines are great, adjustable seat height is wonderful for me at 5'2". It's zippy and I like the feel of the suspension. MPG topped out at 40 (yes, 40) on the road trip with a tailwind in Wyoming; I average 28-30 mpg when driving in the city. I would buy this car again in a hearbeat.

solid, but needs to be improved
By dave in nyc on 06/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Owned it for 4 years now and it's generally well designed and engineered and a solid car for the price. However, if Subaru wants to remain competitive with it's main competitors, it needs to pay attention to some interior details below and offer the little "extras" that give custormers satisfaction. And it's absolutely necessary Subaru offer a 7 passenger "sport wagon" or I will certainly be trading in for a (Acura) MDX or equivalent in 2-3 years.

Love my car!
By ruthieshopping on 06/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Super fun to drive! Holds a lot, too. We've been everywhere in this car, and it is a real pleasure. My dogs like it, too!

subaru forester
By vielka on 05/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

currently has 80000 miles starting to become a little jerky overall, its a good reliable car

Good Subie, once tranny's fixed
By Secretsubie on 04/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Forester for four years and almost 65,000 miles now, and overall it's been a good buy. It averages about 27ish mpg, and it's still fun to drive, with plenty of pep from its engine, paired with our five-speed manual transmission. About a year ago, we had problems with the clutch shuddering when the vehicle was cold, but the problem was fixed under warranty (apparently the early models were built with weaker clutch plates than needed). We've been tempted with the turbo Foresters and the 2005, 250 hp Outbacks, but I think we'll keep this puppy around a few more years and a couple thousand more miles.

Reliable SUV
By josesubaru on 04/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Everything else but the cupholders over heat controls is excellent. 25 MPG Great in snow, rain etc. Great Visibility.

Things They Missed
By gram on 04/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this vehicle for over an year, here are my comments and thoughts about it. 1. The Visor is too small, very inconvenient when driving with the sun on the driver side. 2. The cargo cabin window (passenger side) should have had the defroster too (would help in seeing blind spot better). 3. Jiffy Lube can do the same service at 15,000 miles for $50, subaru dealer (John Elway Subaru) charges $250.00 for an an oil change. 4. Seats are very hard. Lumbar support is useless. 5. Temperature guage cannot display temperatures below 0 degrees (shows the number with out the minus). 6. Temperature guage does not show inside temperature (no options available).