Used 2001 Subaru Forester Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Best AWD Fuel Economy
By Steven

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have had nothing but good luck with my 2001 Forester. I live in the Northeast and having a Subaru in the heart of the wintertime is what you need. The handling and performance along with the fuel economy makes the Forester my top pick over all the competition. I looked at the CRV and the RAV-4 and they did not even compare top the Forester. I highly recommend the Forester to anyone who wants a reliable vehicle along with the fuel economy.

AWD, ride comfort, fuel economy, performance, low cost of ownership

Reliable on everything
By JP

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought it new and have had minimal repairs and total reliability. Have replaced both boot cover for axle (too close to muffler-bad design) and at 160000 am replacing timing belt. Only minor expected brake part replacement and tires. Drive on dirt roads and in the Rocky Mountains and it is great. I drive a great deal and never feel I am at risk. This car handles snowy roads very well. I have even gone off the road into a ditch (my stupidity) and was able to keep it upright and get right back on (snowy dirt road). So I am guessing that rollovers are not common. If that had been my old explorer, I would have rolled. Best AWD around as far as I am concerned

AWD and low maintenance costs. Lots of cargo space. Good head room. Reliability. I actually had to tow (on pavement with no big hills) our F250 with a 4 horse trailer hooked to it when it died and it was no problem for my little Subie. Great ad idea!

Again-bad design on cup rack-poor quality and splashes into controls and CD player. Not great for my 6+ foot husband (he "wears it") since seat does not go back far enough. Check engine light due to gas cap tightness never goes off. 26-27 MPG not good enough these days.

Lemon?
By Christen

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first time owning a Subaru and I was very happy with it until a few weeks ago. It was always very reliable. I have had it in all kinds of conditions from 115 degree Arizona summers to mountains in Colorado to harsh winters in Ohio and never had any major problems besides routine maintenance. I had the head gasket replaced according to the recall a year and 6 months ago. On a recent trip the head gaskets both blew, blowing up the entire engine. Check engine light was on already due to oxygen sensors and had been for 2 days. Called the dealership, there was nothing they could do as the warranty on the head gasket repair had expired 6 mos before. Very costly repair, very disappointing.

Never gotten stuck, handles well in rain/snow, comfortable, love the moonroof

Cup holders, HEAD GASKETS!!!! better customer service woulkd be nice. Subaru has not stood behind their product at all for me.

RT REAR WHEEL BEARING 6TH AND COUNTING
By RIchard Kane

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

First right rear bearing went bad 2,000 miles after I purchased the car two years old used. Since then, it has been replaced four more times and now needs another one replaced. Worst part is that the bad wheel bearing causes that tire to wear much more quickly. With AWD all four tires must match. That's a lot of tires. $$$

Subaru ought to solve the wheel bearing issue and recall all Foresters to solve the problem.

160K Trade In becomes my value buy
By Bob

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I observed this car in a driveway with a for sale sign. It was red and looked new. I was surprised when I found out it had 160,000 miles on it and had been left at a local dealer with blown head gaskets. The person selling it bought it from the dealer and had new head gaskets put in. I used to work on cars and I could tell it had been done. The car had a big sunroof and all wheel drive. At $4500 what could I lose? The car also had to have a new windshield put in to pass inspection. Since purchasing the car I've driven it on two long distance drives of 1,000 miles round trip. The gas mileage is excellent and everything works great. The AC is outstanding. A bargain!

AWD, gas mileage, big sunroof, appears reliable. Easy to park, easy to drive. Interior is ok to better than average.

The cup holders could be improved but don't bother me. I use the slide back top on the console for a good cup holder. Other than that I have no complaints.