2001 Subaru Forester 2.5L 4-cyl. AWD 5-speed Manual Consumer Reviews 5

2001 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

L Wagon (2.5L 4-cyl. AWD 5-speed Manual)

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
Sherock
By Sherock on 08/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I love this qasi SUV. It drives great - handles the turns great and my mechanic says that it is a great car and I should have many happy miles with it.

Happy with Purchases
By Pele on 08/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Overall good value for the price. Needs some improvement in the seats. Handles well, does great in the snow with the all wheel drive. As other comments made the cup holder position....very poor design.

2002 Subaru Forester
By S. Benmeir on 07/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

2002 Forester. It would not start the day after purchase, but dealer could find nothing wrong. Few days later oxygen sensor went bad, and it had to be serviced again. The dealer (Morehart, Durango, CO) returned it to me with a large dent which I did not notice immediately, so what could I do. The gas mileage was bad at first (about 20), but have recently gotten over 30 mpg on the highway. The tires stink. I blew a tire by running into a rock on a dirt road at 3 mph. I was told that if there was more than 4/32" difference in the tread between tires, it would void the warranty on the car. Finally, it's UGLY with a capital U.

Decent SUV alternative, but. . .
By rmay483 on 07/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We've had our Forester L for about 2 years now. Overall, it's a decent vehicle. Handling is very carlike and stable, the interior is reasonably quiet, and the space and layout make it a great camping/outdoor vehicle (which is how we use it). Our main problem has been a faulty oxygen sensor that has been replaced THREE TIMES. Not an expensive fix, but is very irritating. One more and the Lemon Law takes effect. Also the rear hatch shows small rust-colored spots in the paint that the dealer claims are caused by road/brake dust. I've never seen that in any other vehicle I've owned. Otherwise it's been dependable and useful in snowy Michigan.

Starry eyed about Subaru
By ewwingnut on 03/21/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Buyer beware! Same probs as others: tires worn at 25K(replaced with 75K), service dept, hard to work with, O2 and fuel sensors failed, 16-19 mpg, body panels rusted, AWD does NOT mean off road through forests. Short back seat and slow accelleration. But overall, Forester has a great car feel, easy to handle, no blind spots, dependable in all weather, and is SAFE--like a little tank. Living in KY, I don't feel I get my money's worth, but when I travel to MI, AWD and quick heater/defroster makes all worth while as I scoot past bulky SUVs. Forester is sure-footed, dependable car/truck/wagon.

Best car I've owned
By Darrek on 02/28/02 23:53 PM (PST)

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

It holds everything I need to haul and then some...

OEM Bridgestone Tires
By truman on 02/25/02 22:46 PM (PST)

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

BIG BUT however: the Bridgestone Dueler tires are poor, unsafe in any kind of winter conditions. seconded by Consumer Reports' tests, user experiences. There are many other all season tires that have better all season performance without poor handling in snow. Why buy an AWD if the OEM tires no va (remember Chevy Nova?) in winter? More: at 25K the Duelers were worn, wear bars up to tread. 25K wear !!! Replaced with Michelin Symmetrys that DO perform.