Used 2001 Subaru Forester L Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

2001 Subaru Forester

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Great for everything
By t in colorado

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Forester used (lease return with 37000 miles), got the 30k maitenance done and a clean bill of health, then drove halfway across the country and back. The sight lines are great, adjustable seat height is wonderful for me at 5'2". It's zippy and I like the feel of the suspension. MPG topped out at 40 (yes, 40) on the road trip with a tailwind in Wyoming; I average 28-30 mpg when driving in the city. I would buy this car again in a hearbeat.

Favorite Features

Height adjustable seat, gigantic sunroof, good sight lines. Roomy for small size and good off-road. Winter package with heated everything.

Suggested Improvements

Better lumbar support and head rest adjustment for shorter people. The stupid cupholders, which have already been fixed in later years. Wish the back window on hatchback rolled down.

Love my car!
By ruthieshopping

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Super fun to drive! Holds a lot, too. We've been everywhere in this car, and it is a real pleasure. My dogs like it, too!

Favorite Features

Size inside.

Good Subie, once tranny's fixed
By Secretsubie

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Forester for four years and almost 65,000 miles now, and overall it's been a good buy. It averages about 27ish mpg, and it's still fun to drive, with plenty of pep from its engine, paired with our five-speed manual transmission. About a year ago, we had problems with the clutch shuddering when the vehicle was cold, but the problem was fixed under warranty (apparently the early models were built with weaker clutch plates than needed). We've been tempted with the turbo Foresters and the 2005, 250 hp Outbacks, but I think we'll keep this puppy around a few more years and a couple thousand more miles.

Favorite Features

Handling in dry and wet weather, plenty of power, fun to toss around corners and surprise BMWs and Camaros with off-the-line performance, especially in the wet.

Suggested Improvements

I wish I had gotten leather. The cloth is starting to look a tad dated.

Reliable SUV
By josesubaru

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Everything else but the cupholders over heat controls is excellent. 25 MPG Great in snow, rain etc. Great Visibility.

Favorite Features

Ride Reliability Excellent Dealer

Suggested Improvements

Cupholders improved on Forrester but Imprezza still has bad placement

When the going gets tough
By Depressed Subaru

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Well, it all started well. Then the warranty expired and so did the rear- wheel bearings three times, then the Catalytic converter... I loved this car, now I can't wait to unload it. I drive waiting for the next thing to start buzzing, humming, or cracking. Oh hey, the great oversized windshield had to be replaced three times... But, the silver lining is that you can sell the car fast to dealers shipping overseas. Wonder why?

Favorite Features

AWD is great. Survived two blizzards because of my Subaru

Suggested Improvements

Please, please, please make customer relations a top priority. We know it's not a luxury car, owners don't want to be reminded.