2001 Subaru Forester L Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

2001 Forester Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Sort Reviews by

Rode Hard and Put Away Wet
By MoabIL 1

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Needed a vehicle for annual trips from IL to the southern UT backcountry. The carlike ride and good gas mileage (25/31 w/ 5- speed) make the long haul across Kansas bearable. Great off-road--has handled rivers, mud and sand, bare rock, snow and freezing rain, but the lack of a low range transfer case means crawling up or down rocky inclines is not an option. The trade-off for the on-road performance and fuel economy is worth it. Minor complaints after 38,500 miles: fuel filler door won't stay closed and Bridgestone Duelers sucked. The interior is spartan but has plenty of room for 3 weeks' worth of food and camping gear.

Favorite Features

Versatility without major compromises in ride quality, fuel economy, reliability or performance.

Suggested Improvements

Make the center dash storage compartment the cupholder location--it can't be that hard to design something that would be an improvement on the existing setup. Give me low range gearing at a reasonable price!

I love my forester!
By cray

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Forester. It has all the room I need for a family and a dog, but handles like a car not a truck. An SUV that is comfy and fits into "compact car" parking spaces! Plus, all the features that are options on the competition were standard on my Forester. A great value and a great vehicle for an SUV driver that doesn't like trucks!

Suggested Improvements

move cupholders - they cover climate controls. add vanity mirrors to L model

Glad to own a Subaru
By Topher

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I am already anticipating paying my current Forester to purchase the latest iteration! It is a great, dependable vehicle with few flaws.

Favorite Features

AWD, thoughful design (ie- full size spare stored inside with cooler in the middle, sunglass storage)

Suggested Improvements

Turbo!! Make it so the windows in front go all the way down so your elbows are safe! Front seats very uncomfortable after riding more that 2 hours.

like it is
By ralphandro

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Tires look great but aren't very good in the snow should use better tires for snow use since car is sold to be used in snow. A lot of small problems brake noise,fuel filler cap broke,Ox sensor went.

Favorite Features

Handy design

Made A Bad Choice
By RichardM

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Happy with my Subaru???? Not a chance. 2001 Forester, 38,000 miles and I get a check engine light. OK, probably just a loose gas cap, NO. Take it to the dealer and guess what, blown head gasket, ruined O2 sensors, ruined cats. What gives here? I though these were the best of breed for these kinds of cars. I'm really upset, disappointed. I have a habit of buying multiple copies of a car if I like it and was just test driving an H6 Outback last weekend. Forester will be traded for a Hyundai Santa Fe, I'll be buying the XG350 for myself. Pretty sad these Subaru's.

Favorite Features

Cup Holders in Front, keeps the beer cold (just kidding). Lots of room for a not so big vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability, service, Interior quality, both cup holders are broken. Stop exporting them.

love it but the bearing
By loveitbut

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We just love our Forester. We did however have some problems with the rear bearings. After replacing them under warranty four times, Subaru gave us an extrended warranty and sealed bearing. It was lots of hassle to get this done but now we love it.

Favorite Features

Does not look big and mighty.

Suggested Improvements

My cappuchinos keep getting cold because of the stinking placement of that blasted cup holder.

health check-up
By kmisenor

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The car is reliable and can be towed behind a motor home.This was a feature we were looking for when purchased the car. It also works well as everyday run around car.

Favorite Features

The towability of the vehicle, and ease which you can modify the SUV for carrying large objects.

Suggested Improvements

The drink holder not directly in front of A/C and heater switches. Place the drink holders on the side doors for of use.

Forester rocks!
By oareagle

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2001 Forester new in April 2000 for my wife, and couldn't be more pleased. It handles great, even more so once we replaced the crappy Firestones with some Michelin X-ones, and it has more than enough power for conquering other vehicles on the road. Got a five- speed, and it's a kick to leave a BMW or Miata at the light on a rainy day, when the all-wheel-drive virtually eliminates any spin. It's all-wheel-drive traction, all good. And it's got a low center of gravity that allows you to whip it around curves with no worries.

Favorite Features

Standard all-wheel drive; fun five-speed shifter; cargo pockets and containers are all over the place. Cute-ute design belies its get-up-and-go capability.

Suggested Improvements

Wish leather interior was an option when we bought it. It's now available on newer models.

Forester L
By brh1020

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car is perfect for me and my dog. It is equally comfortable around town and also on moderate back roads. The clearance is great (compared to my old Maxima!) and I get great gas mileage (30/26).

Replace The Tires!
By herrfish1

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The Forester is a pretty good little SUV, but could stand some improvements. The front cupholder position is terrible, as others have said. The original Bridgestone Duelers lasted less than 24,000 miles. I replaced them with Yokohoma Avid Touring tires from Tirerack.com and found a great deal of improvement in ride and handling! And apparently, all Subaru service dealers are trained the same way. Nothing is ever wrong with these vehicles that isn't "normal for that model!" When my lease is up, I'll be looking at the Honda CR-V and Toyota Rav4 as a replacement.

Favorite Features

ADW is great in all types of weather. Handling is good with different tires. Stereo system (with CD) is better than average.

Suggested Improvements

Move the front cupholders; Replace the OEM tires; Improve the back seats; Improve the seat fabric;