2001 Subaru Forester Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
Rode Hard and Put Away Wet
By MoabIL 1 on 05/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Needed a vehicle for annual trips from IL to the southern UT backcountry. The carlike ride and good gas mileage (25/31 w/ 5- speed) make the long haul across Kansas bearable. Great off-road--has handled rivers, mud and sand, bare rock, snow and freezing rain, but the lack of a low range transfer case means crawling up or down rocky inclines is not an option. The trade-off for the on-road performance and fuel economy is worth it. Minor complaints after 38,500 miles: fuel filler door won't stay closed and Bridgestone Duelers sucked. The interior is spartan but has plenty of room for 3 weeks' worth of food and camping gear.

I love my forester!
By cray on 04/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Forester. It has all the room I need for a family and a dog, but handles like a car not a truck. An SUV that is comfy and fits into "compact car" parking spaces! Plus, all the features that are options on the competition were standard on my Forester. A great value and a great vehicle for an SUV driver that doesn't like trucks!

Glad to own a Subaru
By Topher on 03/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I am already anticipating paying my current Forester to purchase the latest iteration! It is a great, dependable vehicle with few flaws.

like it is
By ralphandro on 03/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Tires look great but aren't very good in the snow should use better tires for snow use since car is sold to be used in snow. A lot of small problems brake noise,fuel filler cap broke,Ox sensor went.

Made A Bad Choice
By RichardM on 02/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Happy with my Subaru???? Not a chance. 2001 Forester, 38,000 miles and I get a check engine light. OK, probably just a loose gas cap, NO. Take it to the dealer and guess what, blown head gasket, ruined O2 sensors, ruined cats. What gives here? I though these were the best of breed for these kinds of cars. I'm really upset, disappointed. I have a habit of buying multiple copies of a car if I like it and was just test driving an H6 Outback last weekend. Forester will be traded for a Hyundai Santa Fe, I'll be buying the XG350 for myself. Pretty sad these Subaru's.

love it but the bearing
By loveitbut on 10/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We just love our Forester. We did however have some problems with the rear bearings. After replacing them under warranty four times, Subaru gave us an extrended warranty and sealed bearing. It was lots of hassle to get this done but now we love it.

health check-up
By kmisenor on 09/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The car is reliable and can be towed behind a motor home.This was a feature we were looking for when purchased the car. It also works well as everyday run around car.

Forester rocks!
By oareagle on 09/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2001 Forester new in April 2000 for my wife, and couldn't be more pleased. It handles great, even more so once we replaced the crappy Firestones with some Michelin X-ones, and it has more than enough power for conquering other vehicles on the road. Got a five- speed, and it's a kick to leave a BMW or Miata at the light on a rainy day, when the all-wheel-drive virtually eliminates any spin. It's all-wheel-drive traction, all good. And it's got a low center of gravity that allows you to whip it around curves with no worries.

Forester L
By brh1020 on 09/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car is perfect for me and my dog. It is equally comfortable around town and also on moderate back roads. The clearance is great (compared to my old Maxima!) and I get great gas mileage (30/26).

Replace The Tires!
By herrfish1 on 09/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The Forester is a pretty good little SUV, but could stand some improvements. The front cupholder position is terrible, as others have said. The original Bridgestone Duelers lasted less than 24,000 miles. I replaced them with Yokohoma Avid Touring tires from Tirerack.com and found a great deal of improvement in ride and handling! And apparently, all Subaru service dealers are trained the same way. Nothing is ever wrong with these vehicles that isn't "normal for that model!" When my lease is up, I'll be looking at the Honda CR-V and Toyota Rav4 as a replacement.