Used 2001 Subaru Forester L Consumer Reviews - 48 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

2001 Subaru Forester

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Four-Year Update
By rmay483

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I reviewed this car back in 2002 and have gained some new insights since then. In almost six years of ownership and 115,000 miles, it's been very reliable. Had to replace the exhaust Y-pipe, new brakes at 95k, timing belt, and other minor maintenance issues, but otherwise, no major repairs. Check engine light has been on for a while but performance is not impaired. Average 23.5 mpg on the highway at 75 mph. The clutch has been a weak point, as others have noted. Fine for level terrain but too weak for mountain driving. Judders when wet; sometimes grinds gears on shifting, but no replacement needed yet. Changed my mind about interior noise; much louder and coarser than competitors.

Overall reliability. Good handling and decent performance. Lots of cargo space. Decent off-road abilities for a car. Cheap but durable interior materials.

Noisy and cheap-looking interior; lots of road and wind noise. Balky transmission with weak clutch. Check engine light that never goes away. Very sensitive to uneven tire wear -- frequent rotations (5k miles) a must.

A very reliable car
By Bill

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new in late 2000. It has performed very well during that time. The 2.5 liter boxer engine provides sufficient power to maintain interstate speeds even while climbing some steep Appalachian Mtn. highways. The best feature of this car has been its utility. We've loaded, hauled, and towed many different items with the Forester ... it has a lot of cargo room for its size class. My two biggest complaints have been: 1) outside of a large city, it's difficult to find a quality garage to service the car 2) when in use, the cup holders block/prevent the use of the climate controls (I know that's picky, but after five years of ownership ... it's really annoying).

Peppy engine with pretty good gas mileage. Lots of interior room for its size class.

Better placement of front cup holders.

Our family's fourth Subaru!
By billshoff

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought our 4th Subaru to use in my work and it never fails me. I use this Forester to pick up and deliver computer equipment to the public schools. It's comfortable (I'm 6' tall) and easy to get in and out of. The back seats fold quickly and the sound system is quite good. It had 56,000 miles when I bought it and so far I've only done routine maintenance. I don't go to the Subaru dealer; he charges way too much ... $35 for an oil change. My independent garage charges $22 for oil change & tire rotation. We also have 3 Outbacks and I have to admit they ride better, but they're harder to get out of. Reliability has been very good.

Seats are ideal! Smooth, quiet drivetrain. Lots of headroom. Generous cargo area. Fun to drive and goes through mud and snow like a tank.

Cheap cup holders. This model has rear drum brakes ... four wheel disc brakes should be standard. Plastic interior parts scratch easily and leave scars. A longer wheelbase would improve the ride, but it's comfortable as is.

somewhat disappointed
By m

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Forester after I had children because of its high safety rating. My previous knowledge of Subarus was that they were reliable. Thankfully, I have not had to find out first hand whether or not it holds up in an accident. However, I have had more than ordinary maintenance headaches. The car now has about 92k miles. Since about 75,000 miles, the check engine light is on almost more than it is off. I have had to replace the alternator, the catalytic converter, have had transmission issues and had a number of minor repairs which add up. My goal is to finish paying it off, and run it into the ground. No more Subarus for me.

Room in the cargo area is great. Very quiet when running. Handles very well in rain and snow.

Get the transmission and electrical systems right. Chintzy cup holders in front and back, as well as shoddy arm rest/storage between front seats.

Subarus Forever!
By Silversoobiegirl

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a brand new 2004 Impreza in April, 2004. My parents loved mine so much, they decided they wanted a Forester. So, we bought one together! This car is amazing. It does things my Impreza cannot: lugging mountain bikes, skis, large objects, it's GREAT. It handles very well in snowy weather, and is fabulous.

LOTS OF ROOM! Good stereo, excellent handling. I'm 4'10 and the seats/visiblity is awesome (visibility better than my Impreza).

Better fabric on the L. It's scratchy and nasty. Same as everyone else regarding cupholders and vanity mirrors. It needs a compass too. I'd also like to see a "cruise, set" light on the display. Do the new Foresters have that?