Used 2001 Subaru Forester L Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

2001 Subaru Forester

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

A very reliable car
By Bill

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new in late 2000. It has performed very well during that time. The 2.5 liter boxer engine provides sufficient power to maintain interstate speeds even while climbing some steep Appalachian Mtn. highways. The best feature of this car has been its utility. We've loaded, hauled, and towed many different items with the Forester ... it has a lot of cargo room for its size class. My two biggest complaints have been: 1) outside of a large city, it's difficult to find a quality garage to service the car 2) when in use, the cup holders block/prevent the use of the climate controls (I know that's picky, but after five years of ownership ... it's really annoying).

Favorite Features

Peppy engine with pretty good gas mileage. Lots of interior room for its size class.

Suggested Improvements

Better placement of front cup holders.

Our family's fourth Subaru!
By billshoff

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought our 4th Subaru to use in my work and it never fails me. I use this Forester to pick up and deliver computer equipment to the public schools. It's comfortable (I'm 6' tall) and easy to get in and out of. The back seats fold quickly and the sound system is quite good. It had 56,000 miles when I bought it and so far I've only done routine maintenance. I don't go to the Subaru dealer; he charges way too much ... $35 for an oil change. My independent garage charges $22 for oil change & tire rotation. We also have 3 Outbacks and I have to admit they ride better, but they're harder to get out of. Reliability has been very good.

Favorite Features

Seats are ideal! Smooth, quiet drivetrain. Lots of headroom. Generous cargo area. Fun to drive and goes through mud and snow like a tank.

Suggested Improvements

Cheap cup holders. This model has rear drum brakes ... four wheel disc brakes should be standard. Plastic interior parts scratch easily and leave scars. A longer wheelbase would improve the ride, but it's comfortable as is.

somewhat disappointed
By m

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Forester after I had children because of its high safety rating. My previous knowledge of Subarus was that they were reliable. Thankfully, I have not had to find out first hand whether or not it holds up in an accident. However, I have had more than ordinary maintenance headaches. The car now has about 92k miles. Since about 75,000 miles, the check engine light is on almost more than it is off. I have had to replace the alternator, the catalytic converter, have had transmission issues and had a number of minor repairs which add up. My goal is to finish paying it off, and run it into the ground. No more Subarus for me.

Favorite Features

Room in the cargo area is great. Very quiet when running. Handles very well in rain and snow.

Suggested Improvements

Get the transmission and electrical systems right. Chintzy cup holders in front and back, as well as shoddy arm rest/storage between front seats.

Subarus Forever!
By Silversoobiegirl

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a brand new 2004 Impreza in April, 2004. My parents loved mine so much, they decided they wanted a Forester. So, we bought one together! This car is amazing. It does things my Impreza cannot: lugging mountain bikes, skis, large objects, it's GREAT. It handles very well in snowy weather, and is fabulous.

Favorite Features

LOTS OF ROOM! Good stereo, excellent handling. I'm 4'10 and the seats/visiblity is awesome (visibility better than my Impreza).

Suggested Improvements

Better fabric on the L. It's scratchy and nasty. Same as everyone else regarding cupholders and vanity mirrors. It needs a compass too. I'd also like to see a "cruise, set" light on the display. Do the new Foresters have that?

Avoid 2001 manual Foresters
By disappointed subie

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

There must be something about 2001 manual Foresters. We had all sorts of trouble with our 2001 manual L model. Almost from the start, we had problems with shudder and gear grinding/engagement. Since 2001, we've gone through four new clutches, two TSB services and a total transmission replacement. They were all covered under warranty, but not without a lot of grief, letters to Subaru headquarters and, most recently, a month of the Forester being in the shop. When the transmission started grinding again (six weeks after the transmission replacement) we decided that was the last straw. We traded in the Forester for a new Honda Accord EX V6 coupe. We're keeping our Outback, tho.

Favorite Features

Handling, power and responsiveness, especially in the rain (when it wasn't in the shop for manual transmission problems).

Suggested Improvements

The Forester is supposed to be one of the most reliable ... build a transmission to match that reputation.