2001 Subaru Forester Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
I love my Subaru!
By dm Rochester, MN on 10/28/07 10:58 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first car and I am very impressed by the shape that is in after 120k miles. I bought it for the safety ratings and great winter handling. I am planning to drive it another 10 years. Thanks Subaru!

blowin in the wind
By gina on 06/19/07 08:28 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Not only has my check engine light been on FOREVER, my major complaint is this is the most uncomfortable vehicle I've ever owned. Wow, the seat is KILLER on my back if I'm in it over an hour. Cup holders are cheap and in the way? What were they thinking? This car blows all over in any kind of wind. Heat is great, gas mileage is less than great. Radio is not great either. So far I'm at 130,000 and I haven't had to put too much work into it, but the comfort factor is zero! Oh my aching back!

Safe, Excellent Reliability Car
By Subaru Owner on 01/03/07 06:05 AM (PST)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my Forester for over 6 years now and could not be more pleased. The AWD is very safe in the rain and ice. We even tried to get it to slide in bad weather and couldn't get it to! It has been very reliable and dependable and has held up well. I have only replaced one wheel bearing since I owned the car, everything else has been perfect. I would recommend this car to anyone who wants a safe reliable car that is very comfortable to drive.

Two Thumbs Down/2001 Forester S
By Robin on 08/29/06 17:27 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

After careful research and Edmunds info I bought this car new. I never will buy a Subaru again! The Geolander tires, were horrible-replaced them at 20k. Had to replace at 21k rear brake pads/rotors and had one faulty front bearing (that was replaced free). Then at 27k had to replace front brake pads/disc. Factory didn't cover any of it and once again another faulty bearing, this time it was the rear. I had to fight with the dealer garage to get that bearing at no charge! Now at 31k I just noticed my rotors are etched! Which at this rate my brakes/rotors are needing replacement every 9K miles. This car has only 31k, is 6 yrs old. The dealership tired to blame me for the brakes-saying I didn't drive it enough.

Newly Purchased Used 2001 Forester
By Donald Hilfiger on 02/02/06 20:50 PM (PST)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I just purchased this used 2001 Subaru Forester. Dealer allowed me to take overnight for my mechanic's inspection the next day. Spunky, peppy for a 4 cylinder engine. Handled hills real well, felt solid for a small car. Liked big windshield, heated seats and 6-CD system.

Great All-Wheel Drive for Money!
By Karla on 02/01/06 00:07 AM (PST)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I got the "Protector" for undercarriage all-wheel drive mechanism, dust protector for back window. The twin cup-holder position bounces coffee and pop into heating/ac vent so they break off and need replacement from sticky goo and trying to vent in different directions. Very dependable and comfortable car especially on hills in San Francisco!

Will never again buy a Subaru
By JK on 01/28/06 09:28 AM (PST)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Before I bought this lemon, I had always owned Toyota vehicles. The reason I bought this was because of some good reviews in Consumer Reports for this car. I regretted my decision within a year of owning it. The engineering is really bad. Every doing simple things like changing the air filter was a chore. Problems that usually surface in Toyotas at 150K miles started occurring with this lemon at 20k miles. Brakes wearing off, check engine lights, sluggish engine performance etc. Another problem with this car is that since Subarus are not as popular as Toyotas, and also because of its idiot engineering under the hood, repair shops don't know how to service it.

Four-Year Update
By rmay483 on 01/15/06 22:09 PM (PST)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I reviewed this car back in 2002 and have gained some new insights since then. In almost six years of ownership and 115,000 miles, it's been very reliable. Had to replace the exhaust Y-pipe, new brakes at 95k, timing belt, and other minor maintenance issues, but otherwise, no major repairs. Check engine light has been on for a while but performance is not impaired. Average 23.5 mpg on the highway at 75 mph. The clutch has been a weak point, as others have noted. Fine for level terrain but too weak for mountain driving. Judders when wet; sometimes grinds gears on shifting, but no replacement needed yet. Changed my mind about interior noise; much louder and coarser than competitors.

2001 Forester
By P J Tramdack on 01/09/06 08:15 AM (PST)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The car just went over 160,000. So far the head gaskets have had to be replaced (this was the subject of a recall) and the front axle was replaced. The check engine light has been on since 60,000. Apparently this means nothing. The Forester is excellent on the icy roads of NW Pennsylvania. It feels very well made. Overall the car has been very good and I will probably buy another one. I think I got my money's worth.

not as good as expected
By vbollenbacher on 12/07/05 16:01 PM (PST)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

While I love the AWD, and the best gas mileage around for an AWD, I have not been extremely happy with the quality of this car. There seem to be a number of items like head gasket seal problems and cold weather fuel leaks that the dealer/Subaru will not cover, even though though they are design flaws. The interior ergonomics are not very good either. However, after 100K is still drives extremely smooth. I'd give this car average to above average marks, but I had hoped it would age better with repair issues than it has.