Used 2001 Subaru Forester Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

I love my Forester!!!
By Harry Velez

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Forester in 2001 and in all this time I have had to replace only the head lamps... only one if I remember correctly. Other than that I have 2 flats. That's it. This car is the best performing vehicle I have ever owned. It runs great. It is comfortable. Its reliability is outstanding. Wish I could buy a new one... but the old one is just going too strong to consider that.

Seat warmers in winter. Amazing all wheel drive. The car "almost" drives better in the rain! LOL.

Stronger cup holders. AUX jack for i-pod. Bluetooth for cell. Better location for clock.

Most Reliable Car I Have Owned!
By Kirk

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my Forester for almost nine years and 90,500 miles. There have minimal maintenance issues, it is always reliable and gets respectable mileage on my way to work, about 25.5 mpg. This little SUV is very practical: the liberal hauling capacity is somewhat deceptive as I am frequently surprised over how much the cargo space holds. I have hauled some furniture items and building materials that other people were sure would never fit! We like this little SUV so much that we are considering buying a new Forester. Without a doubt, this has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned.

The SUV is fun to drive, much more fun than my old Ford Explorer. It easily handles speed humps, corners nicely, and really hugs the road in town and the open highway. My wife and I both found the interior just "fit" us, and that's what finally sold us on the vehicle.

The exterior design is a bit stodgy, looking more like a boxy station wagon than an SUV. There is a rattle in the tailgate that sometimes is a bit annoying, but if that's the worst of my car complaints, then I am truly fortunate. Besides, I can always just turn up the stereo!

Rear Wheel Bearings and Build Quality
By Bob

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my 2001 Subaru Forester new from Carr Subaru in Beaverton Oregon. The Forester new had to have some type of additive put into the radiator just assuming from what I have read recently to keep the head gasket from leaking, the cup holders are in the wrong place, the carpet started to come loose at 3,000 miles, the gas cap door won't close and now I have had to replace both rear wheel bearings at 79,000 miles. What is next. This is the second Sabaru I have owned and the last. This Vehicle is a piece of junk. Sabaru needs to wake up just as recently the American autos have done.

price

Build your Vehicles with Better Quality Materials such as head gaskets, Wheel Bearings, axles and boots and please fix the location of the cup holders.

Shame on Subaru!
By Gail

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

At 40,000 miles I replaced the 02 sensor. At 45,000 miles I had to replace the catalytic converter. The check engine light has been reset 3 times. At 55,000 miles it needed new rear wheel bearing assembly. At 58,000 miles it needed a re-built transmission, new shocks, and engine mounts. Tires needed replacing at 20,000 miles. The dealership I have been taking the car to for years in Pompano Beach, FL never checked the transmission fluid, though they always claimed to. The transmission fluid was low, but no leaks which another dealer said their neglect caused the transmission failure. Neither Subaru nor the dealer would take responsibility. It is JUNK and I will buy a Honda next time!

Subaru needs to issue more recalls and take more financial responsibility for their ill made vehicles.

Wish I had my outback sport
By Nathan

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My first Subaru was a 98 impreza outback sport. I loved that car, except the seats. I bought the 01 forester s after my wife hydroplaned and totaled her car. I have put close to 60k miles on the car since I bought it used. In that time I have had to replace the front right wheel bearing and hub, right rear wheel bearing, left rear wheel bearing x 2, both servo boots, knock sensor, catalytic converter, and head gasket seals. The left rear wheel bearing had to be replaced the second time because the dealer apparently used a chisel to remove the bearing and scored the spindle causing it to ware prematurely. On both occasions SOA did reimburse me. I do all sch. maint. & still have prob.

AWD, practicality, interior lay out

Focus on long term reliability. That's what people think of when they hear "SUBARU".