Used 2001 Subaru Forester L Wagon Consumer Reviews - 49 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon - Consumer Reviews

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Best AWD Fuel Economy
By Steven

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have had nothing but good luck with my 2001 Forester. I live in the Northeast and having a Subaru in the heart of the wintertime is what you need. The handling and performance along with the fuel economy makes the Forester my top pick over all the competition. I looked at the CRV and the RAV-4 and they did not even compare top the Forester. I highly recommend the Forester to anyone who wants a reliable vehicle along with the fuel economy.

AWD, ride comfort, fuel economy, performance, low cost of ownership

Reliable on everything
By JP

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought it new and have had minimal repairs and total reliability. Have replaced both boot cover for axle (too close to muffler-bad design) and at 160000 am replacing timing belt. Only minor expected brake part replacement and tires. Drive on dirt roads and in the Rocky Mountains and it is great. I drive a great deal and never feel I am at risk. This car handles snowy roads very well. I have even gone off the road into a ditch (my stupidity) and was able to keep it upright and get right back on (snowy dirt road). So I am guessing that rollovers are not common. If that had been my old explorer, I would have rolled. Best AWD around as far as I am concerned

AWD and low maintenance costs. Lots of cargo space. Good head room. Reliability. I actually had to tow (on pavement with no big hills) our F250 with a 4 horse trailer hooked to it when it died and it was no problem for my little Subie. Great ad idea!

Again-bad design on cup rack-poor quality and splashes into controls and CD player. Not great for my 6+ foot husband (he "wears it") since seat does not go back far enough. Check engine light due to gas cap tightness never goes off. 26-27 MPG not good enough these days.

I love my Subaru!
By dm Rochester, MN

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first car and I am very impressed by the shape that is in after 120k miles. I bought it for the safety ratings and great winter handling. I am planning to drive it another 10 years. Thanks Subaru!

No maintenance beside oil changes, great visibility, cheap ownership.

Cup holder design.

blowin in the wind
By gina

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Not only has my check engine light been on FOREVER, my major complaint is this is the most uncomfortable vehicle I've ever owned. Wow, the seat is KILLER on my back if I'm in it over an hour. Cup holders are cheap and in the way? What were they thinking? This car blows all over in any kind of wind. Heat is great, gas mileage is less than great. Radio is not great either. So far I'm at 130,000 and I haven't had to put too much work into it, but the comfort factor is zero! Oh my aching back!

awd in Michigan winter was nice, although last year I got stuck twice anyway.

Better seats, this thing throws my back out for weeks after a trip. OUCH! And how about some better gas mileage? I get about 22 on the highway!

Safe, Excellent Reliability Car
By Subaru Owner

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my Forester for over 6 years now and could not be more pleased. The AWD is very safe in the rain and ice. We even tried to get it to slide in bad weather and couldn't get it to! It has been very reliable and dependable and has held up well. I have only replaced one wheel bearing since I owned the car, everything else has been perfect. I would recommend this car to anyone who wants a safe reliable car that is very comfortable to drive.

AWD; traction control.