2001 Subaru Forester Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
Great for everything
By t in colorado on 08/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Forester used (lease return with 37000 miles), got the 30k maitenance done and a clean bill of health, then drove halfway across the country and back. The sight lines are great, adjustable seat height is wonderful for me at 5'2". It's zippy and I like the feel of the suspension. MPG topped out at 40 (yes, 40) on the road trip with a tailwind in Wyoming; I average 28-30 mpg when driving in the city. I would buy this car again in a hearbeat.

Love my car!
By ruthieshopping on 06/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Super fun to drive! Holds a lot, too. We've been everywhere in this car, and it is a real pleasure. My dogs like it, too!

Good Subie, once tranny's fixed
By Secretsubie on 04/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Forester for four years and almost 65,000 miles now, and overall it's been a good buy. It averages about 27ish mpg, and it's still fun to drive, with plenty of pep from its engine, paired with our five-speed manual transmission. About a year ago, we had problems with the clutch shuddering when the vehicle was cold, but the problem was fixed under warranty (apparently the early models were built with weaker clutch plates than needed). We've been tempted with the turbo Foresters and the 2005, 250 hp Outbacks, but I think we'll keep this puppy around a few more years and a couple thousand more miles.

Reliable SUV
By josesubaru on 04/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Everything else but the cupholders over heat controls is excellent. 25 MPG Great in snow, rain etc. Great Visibility.

When the going gets tough
By Depressed Subaru on 03/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Well, it all started well. Then the warranty expired and so did the rear- wheel bearings three times, then the Catalytic converter... I loved this car, now I can't wait to unload it. I drive waiting for the next thing to start buzzing, humming, or cracking. Oh hey, the great oversized windshield had to be replaced three times... But, the silver lining is that you can sell the car fast to dealers shipping overseas. Wonder why?

Started out well then downhill
By Harstar on 02/21/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This vehicle was nice until the warranty expired. Within 500 miles of the 36000 mile expiration, I had to replace the stereo and the MAP sensor. The lid of the center dash compartment doesn't close right. Check engine light started coming on in regular intervals which mechanic said was 02 sensor and after another 2000 miles it was running so roughly that it needed a major tune- up. Less than 100 miles later the coil went on it. It is still not running right. Mechanic is puzzled and I am frustrated.

This is a fabulous car
By FTCBN on 11/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is a fabulous car. Excellent steering, traction, road feel and mileage. Super reliable.

Don't buy a Subaru
By dontbuyasubaru on 07/24/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Don't buy this heap, nothing but trouble from day one. Check Engine light came on, took it to dealer (Car Mart Subaru in Wilmington) charged for 30K service when the car had 20K miles in order to fix light (came back on and is still on). AC is so-so. Wheel bearing replaced at 30k. Last week the rear view mirror fell off! I'm going back to Honda, I'll never buy another Subaru,very poor customer relations/support.

Great car for a great value!
By Seagal on 07/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I had my "suberari" for 3 years now and I love it! It's great in the snow, on dirt roads and handles great in the rain. The Forester offers the same engine as the Outback for a lot less. A great value all around.

I like it, but...
By Roadman on 06/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car for reliability, however I've had problems. The front boot on the axle broke and cost 200.00 to fix.(the dealer wanted 500.00! The "check engine" light was on for 35,000 miles and the dealer told me twice that it was a "bad" computer chip. It was the catalytic converter, which needed to be replaced (which is why the light goes on in the first place) These knuckleheads should have fixed it in the first place! NOW, my "all wheel drive" gears are frozen. It's going to cost at least 1,000.00 to fix at a local mechanic's place and I don't even want to think what the dealer would charge, they're crooks.