Used 2001 Subaru Forester L Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

I love my Subaru!
By dm Rochester, MN

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first car and I am very impressed by the shape that is in after 120k miles. I bought it for the safety ratings and great winter handling. I am planning to drive it another 10 years. Thanks Subaru!

No maintenance beside oil changes, great visibility, cheap ownership.

Cup holder design.

blowin in the wind
By gina

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Not only has my check engine light been on FOREVER, my major complaint is this is the most uncomfortable vehicle I've ever owned. Wow, the seat is KILLER on my back if I'm in it over an hour. Cup holders are cheap and in the way? What were they thinking? This car blows all over in any kind of wind. Heat is great, gas mileage is less than great. Radio is not great either. So far I'm at 130,000 and I haven't had to put too much work into it, but the comfort factor is zero! Oh my aching back!

awd in Michigan winter was nice, although last year I got stuck twice anyway.

Better seats, this thing throws my back out for weeks after a trip. OUCH! And how about some better gas mileage? I get about 22 on the highway!

Safe, Excellent Reliability Car
By Subaru Owner

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my Forester for over 6 years now and could not be more pleased. The AWD is very safe in the rain and ice. We even tried to get it to slide in bad weather and couldn't get it to! It has been very reliable and dependable and has held up well. I have only replaced one wheel bearing since I owned the car, everything else has been perfect. I would recommend this car to anyone who wants a safe reliable car that is very comfortable to drive.

AWD; traction control.

More cup holders!

Will never again buy a Subaru
By JK

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Before I bought this lemon, I had always owned Toyota vehicles. The reason I bought this was because of some good reviews in Consumer Reports for this car. I regretted my decision within a year of owning it. The engineering is really bad. Every doing simple things like changing the air filter was a chore. Problems that usually surface in Toyotas at 150K miles started occurring with this lemon at 20k miles. Brakes wearing off, check engine lights, sluggish engine performance etc. Another problem with this car is that since Subarus are not as popular as Toyotas, and also because of its idiot engineering under the hood, repair shops don't know how to service it.

Check engine light!

100K mile bumper to bumper warranty with loaner cars from the dealership.

Four-Year Update
By rmay483

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I reviewed this car back in 2002 and have gained some new insights since then. In almost six years of ownership and 115,000 miles, it's been very reliable. Had to replace the exhaust Y-pipe, new brakes at 95k, timing belt, and other minor maintenance issues, but otherwise, no major repairs. Check engine light has been on for a while but performance is not impaired. Average 23.5 mpg on the highway at 75 mph. The clutch has been a weak point, as others have noted. Fine for level terrain but too weak for mountain driving. Judders when wet; sometimes grinds gears on shifting, but no replacement needed yet. Changed my mind about interior noise; much louder and coarser than competitors.

Overall reliability. Good handling and decent performance. Lots of cargo space. Decent off-road abilities for a car. Cheap but durable interior materials.

Noisy and cheap-looking interior; lots of road and wind noise. Balky transmission with weak clutch. Check engine light that never goes away. Very sensitive to uneven tire wear -- frequent rotations (5k miles) a must.