Used 2001 Subaru Forester Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Bad Quality buyer beware
By Kevin

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this Subaru for quite some time and have not driven it over 31,000 miles to date . First of all the rear wheel bearings started sounding like a landing plane, they were replaced under warranty , thank God, but then only 10,000 miles later the same thing , like a growling landing plane , the wheel bearings again , this time guess who is responsible. I contacted Subaru and told them exactly what I think about their poorly designed junk. I wouldn't but another Subaru if they were the only vehicle made. Piece of garbage, if you have to pay over 600.00 every 10,000 miles , you call that reliability ? Not in my book.

none

quality, reliability, build, design , better tranny , better parts and better customer relations. buyer beware.

My Blue Subie
By TimothyFC

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought used in 02/2008 for $8500. 58K mi. Automatic. 09/24/2009 94500 mi. Severe Service. $268 03/2008 Front Passenger Axle Assembly. Alternator Rebuild 12/2008 P&L $150. $168 P&L Left Rear Wheel Cylinder and brake linings. No breakdowns so far. Rear Tires road noise noticeable. Excellent AWD performance on very bad wet and dry farm dirt roads 04 to 05/2009 Laurel Hill, Fl. City and highway driving nice. Bad weather performance good. MPG good. Regular maintenance cost high but, (AWD) understandable. Spark plugs, wires, K&N Air Filter, Radiator Fluid, Radiator Hoses, Belts, Oil Changes all done. Trans & Diff fluid, timing belt not done yet.

AWD, MPG, Blue, Fog Lights, Roof Rack, Utility, Ruggedness, hide away spare tire, pwr windows, pwr locks.

Reduction of maintenance requirements and cost. Different position for cup holder. Better radio and CD player. Better clock. Better tire road noise reduction.

I love my Subaru
By Andi

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I am the 3rd owner of my 2001 Subaru Forester. I purchased the car used with about 143,000 miles on it. It's now at 155,000. So far in work I have had to replace a cracked CV boot but that was all that I HAD to do. I opted to replace the head gaskets because they were leaking, but the mechanic told me that it wasn't an immediate need. Eventually I replaced the windshield wiper arms, but it was a quick fix. I live in Northern Michigan and the car starts on - 30F days. It grips the road well when there is lots of snow and ice, as well as in the rain. I would definitely buy another Subaru Forester.

All of the little cubby spaces to stash stuff, the heated cloth seats, and the moonroof.

Need a little help with the cupholders.

Bad Roads
By TFC

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

(90K) Handled very well 2000 miles and very bad dirt rural roads in Laurel Hill Fl. in 04/2009. Only normal and minor things wrong. Front passenger axle assembly, $268, 03/2008. Alternator 11/2008 (rebuilt), $168. Driver door outside door handle,($69 P/L.) Clock, CD Drive (not done). Cold, Rain and moderate off road very good. Rear tire hum tolerable. Full non-towing load performance very good. Still love it. Go anywhere, do anything. Beach, fishing, hiking, bicycling.

Blue exterior. Full non-towing load performance. Fog Lights. Roof Cargo rack.

Better sound system. Better rear area sound deadening.

Keeps on chugging
By Bob

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Just went over 190,000 miles. Repairs: Oxygen sensors at 170,000 miles. Cost about 180 including labor. I got the sensors off of E-Bay and had someone local do it. Head gaskets at 154,000 miles. Cost $1200 by local mechanic. Left rear wheel bearing. Cost: $140. Other then that people are surprised when the get in and find out how much mileage it has on it. I changed out the plugs and wires at 175,000 miles. Cost less then $50. I did it myself. In short I guess I have been somewhat lucky. I look forward to taking it to 250,000 miles. Next timing belt change at 220,000. Anticipated cost: $400 at dealer. Popularity in family: very high. It's always on the road.

AWD, Heated windshield, rear defroster, heated mirrors, heated seats.

Better seats.