2001 Subaru Forester Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
Great Little SUV
By JT on 01/27/09 13:00 PM (PST)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our Forester new from the dealer and have had it maintained consistently by the same dealer. This car has been flawless and having regular maintenance has kept us ahead of potential problems. Yeah, the original Geolander tires only went 26K, but I put ContiPremierContac on after and got about 65K out of them. We have driven it on 7-8 hour day trips and found no comfort issues since the seat reclines. We like this car so much, we are debating whether to get a new one... and with only 96k miles on the car its a tough call ! This car has served us well during northern Ohio winters.

Wheel Bearings
By Ojinaga on 12/14/08 16:20 PM (PST)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my Forester for over 6 years. It had 28,000 miles on it when I purchased it. It has now 200,000 miles on it. Had the defect of the Engine light which finally has gone out after changing everything at once. Wheel bearings have been the major source of anger. I have replaced the front wheel bearing twice per side and rear bearing 4 per side. Last time I decided to replace the axle, the hub and get AMERICAN bearings. The hub is the secret and lousy bearings half the problem. No problems now. Cup holders were removed. I live on a hill with a 45 degree angle. Goes up every time with 6 inches of snow ! For all the BS, I will buy another and trade it every 4 years.

Wonderful Car!
By B. on 12/10/08 14:18 PM (PST)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car. We bought this car used and it worked fine, about 1 year later the tailgates wiper stopped working. The ball bearing went on 1 tire and is now going again. The light behind the speedometer and on the shifter do not work anymore and the clock died. The lining on every door is falling off. With all these problems I still love the car and would gladly buy one again. The car is perfect for winter driving and on dirt roads. I drive this car about 60 miles a day. Of all our cars this one gets the best mileage. I am very mean to my car and drive it on very rough terrain too. I have bent a strut, dented the oil pan, etc. but the car is still very reliable.

2001 Subaru Forester
By suzieque69 on 11/17/08 16:47 PM (PST)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I had a baby and wanted a safe vehicle. After doing much research, chose the 2001 Forester. Within the first year had problems ranging from 02 sensors, cruise control issues, paint coming off sport grille, sluggish acceleration, etc. I have thrown several thousand into repairs for this vehicle. Multiple 02 sensors, uneven tire wear (mult. sets), cup holder broke, clock went out, defrost out, head gaskets need replacing and had to replace catalytic converter and timing belt all before 110000! Gets lower than stated mileage, loud road noise, can't ever use cruise control or car starts jumping and jerking dangerously (but no dealer can replicate or figure out). DON'T BUY!!!

My Forester is a lemon
By Paul on 11/14/08 10:22 AM (PST)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We love the way the Forester handles on difficult roads (we lived in MN and ME with it). We are very saddened by the horrible maintenance issues we've had. In the last eight months (starting at about 103,000 miles) we've sunk $4700 into the car hoping to keep it going, but we're now looking at another $1800 in repairs. The killers have been that we've had to replace the clutch, the head gasket and both front axles. Now we have to replace the drive shaft. We will sadly dump our Forester, and will not buy another Subaru. The two cheap Chevys I owned before getting the Forester had better repair records than this! We're headed out to get another Honda.

Best AWD Fuel Economy
By Steven on 10/27/08 13:27 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have had nothing but good luck with my 2001 Forester. I live in the Northeast and having a Subaru in the heart of the wintertime is what you need. The handling and performance along with the fuel economy makes the Forester my top pick over all the competition. I looked at the CRV and the RAV-4 and they did not even compare top the Forester. I highly recommend the Forester to anyone who wants a reliable vehicle along with the fuel economy.

Reliable on everything
By JP on 10/23/08 08:42 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought it new and have had minimal repairs and total reliability. Have replaced both boot cover for axle (too close to muffler-bad design) and at 160000 am replacing timing belt. Only minor expected brake part replacement and tires. Drive on dirt roads and in the Rocky Mountains and it is great. I drive a great deal and never feel I am at risk. This car handles snowy roads very well. I have even gone off the road into a ditch (my stupidity) and was able to keep it upright and get right back on (snowy dirt road). So I am guessing that rollovers are not common. If that had been my old explorer, I would have rolled. Best AWD around as far as I am concerned

Lemon?
By Christen on 08/13/08 15:06 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first time owning a Subaru and I was very happy with it until a few weeks ago. It was always very reliable. I have had it in all kinds of conditions from 115 degree Arizona summers to mountains in Colorado to harsh winters in Ohio and never had any major problems besides routine maintenance. I had the head gasket replaced according to the recall a year and 6 months ago. On a recent trip the head gaskets both blew, blowing up the entire engine. Check engine light was on already due to oxygen sensors and had been for 2 days. Called the dealership, there was nothing they could do as the warranty on the head gasket repair had expired 6 mos before. Very costly repair, very disappointing.

RT REAR WHEEL BEARING 6TH AND COUNTING
By RIchard Kane on 07/28/08 18:47 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

First right rear bearing went bad 2,000 miles after I purchased the car two years old used. Since then, it has been replaced four more times and now needs another one replaced. Worst part is that the bad wheel bearing causes that tire to wear much more quickly. With AWD all four tires must match. That's a lot of tires. $$$

160K Trade In becomes my value buy
By Bob on 06/21/08 19:03 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I observed this car in a driveway with a for sale sign. It was red and looked new. I was surprised when I found out it had 160,000 miles on it and had been left at a local dealer with blown head gaskets. The person selling it bought it from the dealer and had new head gaskets put in. I used to work on cars and I could tell it had been done. The car had a big sunroof and all wheel drive. At $4500 what could I lose? The car also had to have a new windshield put in to pass inspection. Since purchasing the car I've driven it on two long distance drives of 1,000 miles round trip. The gas mileage is excellent and everything works great. The AC is outstanding. A bargain!