2001 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
I love my Subaru!
By dm Rochester, MN on 10/28/07 10:58 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first car and I am very impressed by the shape that is in after 120k miles. I bought it for the safety ratings and great winter handling. I am planning to drive it another 10 years. Thanks Subaru!

blowin in the wind
By gina on 06/19/07 08:28 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Not only has my check engine light been on FOREVER, my major complaint is this is the most uncomfortable vehicle I've ever owned. Wow, the seat is KILLER on my back if I'm in it over an hour. Cup holders are cheap and in the way? What were they thinking? This car blows all over in any kind of wind. Heat is great, gas mileage is less than great. Radio is not great either. So far I'm at 130,000 and I haven't had to put too much work into it, but the comfort factor is zero! Oh my aching back!

Safe, Excellent Reliability Car
By Subaru Owner on 01/03/07 06:05 AM (PST)

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my Forester for over 6 years now and could not be more pleased. The AWD is very safe in the rain and ice. We even tried to get it to slide in bad weather and couldn't get it to! It has been very reliable and dependable and has held up well. I have only replaced one wheel bearing since I owned the car, everything else has been perfect. I would recommend this car to anyone who wants a safe reliable car that is very comfortable to drive.

Will never again buy a Subaru
By JK on 01/28/06 09:28 AM (PST)

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Before I bought this lemon, I had always owned Toyota vehicles. The reason I bought this was because of some good reviews in Consumer Reports for this car. I regretted my decision within a year of owning it. The engineering is really bad. Every doing simple things like changing the air filter was a chore. Problems that usually surface in Toyotas at 150K miles started occurring with this lemon at 20k miles. Brakes wearing off, check engine lights, sluggish engine performance etc. Another problem with this car is that since Subarus are not as popular as Toyotas, and also because of its idiot engineering under the hood, repair shops don't know how to service it.

Four-Year Update
By rmay483 on 01/15/06 22:09 PM (PST)

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I reviewed this car back in 2002 and have gained some new insights since then. In almost six years of ownership and 115,000 miles, it's been very reliable. Had to replace the exhaust Y-pipe, new brakes at 95k, timing belt, and other minor maintenance issues, but otherwise, no major repairs. Check engine light has been on for a while but performance is not impaired. Average 23.5 mpg on the highway at 75 mph. The clutch has been a weak point, as others have noted. Fine for level terrain but too weak for mountain driving. Judders when wet; sometimes grinds gears on shifting, but no replacement needed yet. Changed my mind about interior noise; much louder and coarser than competitors.

A very reliable car
By Bill on 11/10/05 00:25 AM (PST)

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new in late 2000. It has performed very well during that time. The 2.5 liter boxer engine provides sufficient power to maintain interstate speeds even while climbing some steep Appalachian Mtn. highways. The best feature of this car has been its utility. We've loaded, hauled, and towed many different items with the Forester ... it has a lot of cargo room for its size class. My two biggest complaints have been: 1) outside of a large city, it's difficult to find a quality garage to service the car 2) when in use, the cup holders block/prevent the use of the climate controls (I know that's picky, but after five years of ownership ... it's really annoying).

Our family's fourth Subaru!
By billshoff on 10/04/05 21:31 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought our 4th Subaru to use in my work and it never fails me. I use this Forester to pick up and deliver computer equipment to the public schools. It's comfortable (I'm 6' tall) and easy to get in and out of. The back seats fold quickly and the sound system is quite good. It had 56,000 miles when I bought it and so far I've only done routine maintenance. I don't go to the Subaru dealer; he charges way too much ... $35 for an oil change. My independent garage charges $22 for oil change & tire rotation. We also have 3 Outbacks and I have to admit they ride better, but they're harder to get out of. Reliability has been very good.

somewhat disappointed
By m on 08/08/05 15:07 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Forester after I had children because of its high safety rating. My previous knowledge of Subarus was that they were reliable. Thankfully, I have not had to find out first hand whether or not it holds up in an accident. However, I have had more than ordinary maintenance headaches. The car now has about 92k miles. Since about 75,000 miles, the check engine light is on almost more than it is off. I have had to replace the alternator, the catalytic converter, have had transmission issues and had a number of minor repairs which add up. My goal is to finish paying it off, and run it into the ground. No more Subarus for me.

Subarus Forever!
By Silversoobiegirl on 05/11/05 06:11 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a brand new 2004 Impreza in April, 2004. My parents loved mine so much, they decided they wanted a Forester. So, we bought one together! This car is amazing. It does things my Impreza cannot: lugging mountain bikes, skis, large objects, it's GREAT. It handles very well in snowy weather, and is fabulous.

Avoid 2001 manual Foresters
By disappointed subie on 11/28/04 00:26 AM (PST)

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

There must be something about 2001 manual Foresters. We had all sorts of trouble with our 2001 manual L model. Almost from the start, we had problems with shudder and gear grinding/engagement. Since 2001, we've gone through four new clutches, two TSB services and a total transmission replacement. They were all covered under warranty, but not without a lot of grief, letters to Subaru headquarters and, most recently, a month of the Forester being in the shop. When the transmission started grinding again (six weeks after the transmission replacement) we decided that was the last straw. We traded in the Forester for a new Honda Accord EX V6 coupe. We're keeping our Outback, tho.