Used 2001 Subaru Forester L Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

2001 Subaru Forester

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Wheel Bearings
By Ojinaga

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my Forester for over 6 years. It had 28,000 miles on it when I purchased it. It has now 200,000 miles on it. Had the defect of the Engine light which finally has gone out after changing everything at once. Wheel bearings have been the major source of anger. I have replaced the front wheel bearing twice per side and rear bearing 4 per side. Last time I decided to replace the axle, the hub and get AMERICAN bearings. The hub is the secret and lousy bearings half the problem. No problems now. Cup holders were removed. I live on a hill with a 45 degree angle. Goes up every time with 6 inches of snow ! For all the BS, I will buy another and trade it every 4 years.

Favorite Features

Good vision all the way around. Heat is excellent. AC so cold you could hang meat inside of it. For me its starts every morning in Vermont.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the bearing issue. Fix the engine light issue. Put real tire changing tools in the car and no crappy tool sets especially the bogus screwdriver to move the overhead racks. Listen to us the consumers and stand behind your product.

2001 Subaru Forester
By suzieque69

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I had a baby and wanted a safe vehicle. After doing much research, chose the 2001 Forester. Within the first year had problems ranging from 02 sensors, cruise control issues, paint coming off sport grille, sluggish acceleration, etc. I have thrown several thousand into repairs for this vehicle. Multiple 02 sensors, uneven tire wear (mult. sets), cup holder broke, clock went out, defrost out, head gaskets need replacing and had to replace catalytic converter and timing belt all before 110000! Gets lower than stated mileage, loud road noise, can't ever use cruise control or car starts jumping and jerking dangerously (but no dealer can replicate or figure out). DON'T BUY!!!

Favorite Features

Safety ratings, large front window, fold down rear seat, large cargo capability

Suggested Improvements

Need I say more? Extension to visor, auto dim mirrors on all, back seat wide enough for 3 carseats or boosters, cup holders and locations, carpet/fabric quality and life. EVERYTHING!!!

My Forester is a lemon
By Paul

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We love the way the Forester handles on difficult roads (we lived in MN and ME with it). We are very saddened by the horrible maintenance issues we've had. In the last eight months (starting at about 103,000 miles) we've sunk $4700 into the car hoping to keep it going, but we're now looking at another $1800 in repairs. The killers have been that we've had to replace the clutch, the head gasket and both front axles. Now we have to replace the drive shaft. We will sadly dump our Forester, and will not buy another Subaru. The two cheap Chevys I owned before getting the Forester had better repair records than this! We're headed out to get another Honda.

Favorite Features

Handling in difficult road conditions.

Suggested Improvements

More reliable engine and drive chain. And for heaven's sake, why would you put cup holders in a place that blocks my access to the heating controls?

Best AWD Fuel Economy
By Steven

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have had nothing but good luck with my 2001 Forester. I live in the Northeast and having a Subaru in the heart of the wintertime is what you need. The handling and performance along with the fuel economy makes the Forester my top pick over all the competition. I looked at the CRV and the RAV-4 and they did not even compare top the Forester. I highly recommend the Forester to anyone who wants a reliable vehicle along with the fuel economy.

Favorite Features

AWD, ride comfort, fuel economy, performance, low cost of ownership

Reliable on everything
By JP

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought it new and have had minimal repairs and total reliability. Have replaced both boot cover for axle (too close to muffler-bad design) and at 160000 am replacing timing belt. Only minor expected brake part replacement and tires. Drive on dirt roads and in the Rocky Mountains and it is great. I drive a great deal and never feel I am at risk. This car handles snowy roads very well. I have even gone off the road into a ditch (my stupidity) and was able to keep it upright and get right back on (snowy dirt road). So I am guessing that rollovers are not common. If that had been my old explorer, I would have rolled. Best AWD around as far as I am concerned

Favorite Features

AWD and low maintenance costs. Lots of cargo space. Good head room. Reliability. I actually had to tow (on pavement with no big hills) our F250 with a 4 horse trailer hooked to it when it died and it was no problem for my little Subie. Great ad idea!

Suggested Improvements

Again-bad design on cup rack-poor quality and splashes into controls and CD player. Not great for my 6+ foot husband (he "wears it") since seat does not go back far enough. Check engine light due to gas cap tightness never goes off. 26-27 MPG not good enough these days.