Used 2001 Subaru Forester L Consumer Reviews - 49 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

2001 Subaru Forester

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Most Reliable Car I Have Owned!
By Kirk

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my Forester for almost nine years and 90,500 miles. There have minimal maintenance issues, it is always reliable and gets respectable mileage on my way to work, about 25.5 mpg. This little SUV is very practical: the liberal hauling capacity is somewhat deceptive as I am frequently surprised over how much the cargo space holds. I have hauled some furniture items and building materials that other people were sure would never fit! We like this little SUV so much that we are considering buying a new Forester. Without a doubt, this has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned.

The SUV is fun to drive, much more fun than my old Ford Explorer. It easily handles speed humps, corners nicely, and really hugs the road in town and the open highway. My wife and I both found the interior just "fit" us, and that's what finally sold us on the vehicle.

The exterior design is a bit stodgy, looking more like a boxy station wagon than an SUV. There is a rattle in the tailgate that sometimes is a bit annoying, but if that's the worst of my car complaints, then I am truly fortunate. Besides, I can always just turn up the stereo!

Rear Wheel Bearings and Build Quality
By Bob

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my 2001 Subaru Forester new from Carr Subaru in Beaverton Oregon. The Forester new had to have some type of additive put into the radiator just assuming from what I have read recently to keep the head gasket from leaking, the cup holders are in the wrong place, the carpet started to come loose at 3,000 miles, the gas cap door won't close and now I have had to replace both rear wheel bearings at 79,000 miles. What is next. This is the second Sabaru I have owned and the last. This Vehicle is a piece of junk. Sabaru needs to wake up just as recently the American autos have done.

price

Build your Vehicles with Better Quality Materials such as head gaskets, Wheel Bearings, axles and boots and please fix the location of the cup holders.

Wheel Bearings
By Ojinaga

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my Forester for over 6 years. It had 28,000 miles on it when I purchased it. It has now 200,000 miles on it. Had the defect of the Engine light which finally has gone out after changing everything at once. Wheel bearings have been the major source of anger. I have replaced the front wheel bearing twice per side and rear bearing 4 per side. Last time I decided to replace the axle, the hub and get AMERICAN bearings. The hub is the secret and lousy bearings half the problem. No problems now. Cup holders were removed. I live on a hill with a 45 degree angle. Goes up every time with 6 inches of snow ! For all the BS, I will buy another and trade it every 4 years.

Good vision all the way around. Heat is excellent. AC so cold you could hang meat inside of it. For me its starts every morning in Vermont.

Fix the bearing issue. Fix the engine light issue. Put real tire changing tools in the car and no crappy tool sets especially the bogus screwdriver to move the overhead racks. Listen to us the consumers and stand behind your product.

2001 Subaru Forester
By suzieque69

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I had a baby and wanted a safe vehicle. After doing much research, chose the 2001 Forester. Within the first year had problems ranging from 02 sensors, cruise control issues, paint coming off sport grille, sluggish acceleration, etc. I have thrown several thousand into repairs for this vehicle. Multiple 02 sensors, uneven tire wear (mult. sets), cup holder broke, clock went out, defrost out, head gaskets need replacing and had to replace catalytic converter and timing belt all before 110000! Gets lower than stated mileage, loud road noise, can't ever use cruise control or car starts jumping and jerking dangerously (but no dealer can replicate or figure out). DON'T BUY!!!

Safety ratings, large front window, fold down rear seat, large cargo capability

Need I say more? Extension to visor, auto dim mirrors on all, back seat wide enough for 3 carseats or boosters, cup holders and locations, carpet/fabric quality and life. EVERYTHING!!!

My Forester is a lemon
By Paul

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We love the way the Forester handles on difficult roads (we lived in MN and ME with it). We are very saddened by the horrible maintenance issues we've had. In the last eight months (starting at about 103,000 miles) we've sunk $4700 into the car hoping to keep it going, but we're now looking at another $1800 in repairs. The killers have been that we've had to replace the clutch, the head gasket and both front axles. Now we have to replace the drive shaft. We will sadly dump our Forester, and will not buy another Subaru. The two cheap Chevys I owned before getting the Forester had better repair records than this! We're headed out to get another Honda.

Handling in difficult road conditions.

More reliable engine and drive chain. And for heaven's sake, why would you put cup holders in a place that blocks my access to the heating controls?