2001 Subaru Forester Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
Bad Quality buyer beware
By Kevin on 01/08/10 15:02 PM (PST)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this Subaru for quite some time and have not driven it over 31,000 miles to date . First of all the rear wheel bearings started sounding like a landing plane, they were replaced under warranty , thank God, but then only 10,000 miles later the same thing , like a growling landing plane , the wheel bearings again , this time guess who is responsible. I contacted Subaru and told them exactly what I think about their poorly designed junk. I wouldn't but another Subaru if they were the only vehicle made. Piece of garbage, if you have to pay over 600.00 every 10,000 miles , you call that reliability ? Not in my book.

My Blue Subie
By TimothyFC on 09/24/09 18:05 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought used in 02/2008 for $8500. 58K mi. Automatic. 09/24/2009 94500 mi. Severe Service. $268 03/2008 Front Passenger Axle Assembly. Alternator Rebuild 12/2008 P&L $150. $168 P&L Left Rear Wheel Cylinder and brake linings. No breakdowns so far. Rear Tires road noise noticeable. Excellent AWD performance on very bad wet and dry farm dirt roads 04 to 05/2009 Laurel Hill, Fl. City and highway driving nice. Bad weather performance good. MPG good. Regular maintenance cost high but, (AWD) understandable. Spark plugs, wires, K&N Air Filter, Radiator Fluid, Radiator Hoses, Belts, Oil Changes all done. Trans & Diff fluid, timing belt not done yet.

I love my Subaru
By Andi on 09/22/09 13:28 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I am the 3rd owner of my 2001 Subaru Forester. I purchased the car used with about 143,000 miles on it. It's now at 155,000. So far in work I have had to replace a cracked CV boot but that was all that I HAD to do. I opted to replace the head gaskets because they were leaking, but the mechanic told me that it wasn't an immediate need. Eventually I replaced the windshield wiper arms, but it was a quick fix. I live in Northern Michigan and the car starts on - 30F days. It grips the road well when there is lots of snow and ice, as well as in the rain. I would definitely buy another Subaru Forester.

Bad Roads
By TFC on 08/05/09 14:21 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

(90K) Handled very well 2000 miles and very bad dirt rural roads in Laurel Hill Fl. in 04/2009. Only normal and minor things wrong. Front passenger axle assembly, $268, 03/2008. Alternator 11/2008 (rebuilt), $168. Driver door outside door handle,($69 P/L.) Clock, CD Drive (not done). Cold, Rain and moderate off road very good. Rear tire hum tolerable. Full non-towing load performance very good. Still love it. Go anywhere, do anything. Beach, fishing, hiking, bicycling.

Keeps on chugging
By Bob on 07/28/09 10:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Just went over 190,000 miles. Repairs: Oxygen sensors at 170,000 miles. Cost about 180 including labor. I got the sensors off of E-Bay and had someone local do it. Head gaskets at 154,000 miles. Cost $1200 by local mechanic. Left rear wheel bearing. Cost: $140. Other then that people are surprised when the get in and find out how much mileage it has on it. I changed out the plugs and wires at 175,000 miles. Cost less then $50. I did it myself. In short I guess I have been somewhat lucky. I look forward to taking it to 250,000 miles. Next timing belt change at 220,000. Anticipated cost: $400 at dealer. Popularity in family: very high. It's always on the road.

I love my Forester!!!
By Harry Velez on 06/08/09 14:48 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Forester in 2001 and in all this time I have had to replace only the head lamps... only one if I remember correctly. Other than that I have 2 flats. That's it. This car is the best performing vehicle I have ever owned. It runs great. It is comfortable. Its reliability is outstanding. Wish I could buy a new one... but the old one is just going too strong to consider that.

Most Reliable Car I Have Owned!
By Kirk on 06/03/09 16:28 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my Forester for almost nine years and 90,500 miles. There have minimal maintenance issues, it is always reliable and gets respectable mileage on my way to work, about 25.5 mpg. This little SUV is very practical: the liberal hauling capacity is somewhat deceptive as I am frequently surprised over how much the cargo space holds. I have hauled some furniture items and building materials that other people were sure would never fit! We like this little SUV so much that we are considering buying a new Forester. Without a doubt, this has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned.

Rear Wheel Bearings and Build Quality
By Bob on 05/10/09 08:01 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my 2001 Subaru Forester new from Carr Subaru in Beaverton Oregon. The Forester new had to have some type of additive put into the radiator just assuming from what I have read recently to keep the head gasket from leaking, the cup holders are in the wrong place, the carpet started to come loose at 3,000 miles, the gas cap door won't close and now I have had to replace both rear wheel bearings at 79,000 miles. What is next. This is the second Sabaru I have owned and the last. This Vehicle is a piece of junk. Sabaru needs to wake up just as recently the American autos have done.

Shame on Subaru!
By Gail on 03/31/09 22:15 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

At 40,000 miles I replaced the 02 sensor. At 45,000 miles I had to replace the catalytic converter. The check engine light has been reset 3 times. At 55,000 miles it needed new rear wheel bearing assembly. At 58,000 miles it needed a re-built transmission, new shocks, and engine mounts. Tires needed replacing at 20,000 miles. The dealership I have been taking the car to for years in Pompano Beach, FL never checked the transmission fluid, though they always claimed to. The transmission fluid was low, but no leaks which another dealer said their neglect caused the transmission failure. Neither Subaru nor the dealer would take responsibility. It is JUNK and I will buy a Honda next time!

Wish I had my outback sport
By Nathan on 03/18/09 19:43 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My first Subaru was a 98 impreza outback sport. I loved that car, except the seats. I bought the 01 forester s after my wife hydroplaned and totaled her car. I have put close to 60k miles on the car since I bought it used. In that time I have had to replace the front right wheel bearing and hub, right rear wheel bearing, left rear wheel bearing x 2, both servo boots, knock sensor, catalytic converter, and head gasket seals. The left rear wheel bearing had to be replaced the second time because the dealer apparently used a chisel to remove the bearing and scored the spindle causing it to ware prematurely. On both occasions SOA did reimburse me. I do all sch. maint. & still have prob.