2001 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
Sherock
By Sherock on 08/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I love this qasi SUV. It drives great - handles the turns great and my mechanic says that it is a great car and I should have many happy miles with it.

Excellent SUV
By irishmac on 08/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

Good, reliable & fancy looking SUV with tinted windows

Very Practical Ride
By jmurray on 08/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car new. Had to hunt down a manual trany but am glad we did. Car seems to be able to do whatever we ask it to do. We live in the north and have had no trouble with cold/ice/snow. We have a bunch of the extra features (brush guard, roof rack, tow pkg, side rock guards) and they all are very functional. No problems with tyres.

Ours is a LEMON!
By efsevers on 08/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I don't know if we got a lemon or what, but we have had nothing but problems with our 2001 Forester S+. Every time we take it in with a complaint, the Subaru rep says that's standard for this vehicle...which leads us to believe their products are garbage. We WILL be trading it in within the next month or two.

Happy with Purchases
By Pele on 08/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Overall good value for the price. Needs some improvement in the seats. Handles well, does great in the snow with the all wheel drive. As other comments made the cup holder position....very poor design.

2002 Subaru Forester
By S. Benmeir on 07/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

2002 Forester. It would not start the day after purchase, but dealer could find nothing wrong. Few days later oxygen sensor went bad, and it had to be serviced again. The dealer (Morehart, Durango, CO) returned it to me with a large dent which I did not notice immediately, so what could I do. The gas mileage was bad at first (about 20), but have recently gotten over 30 mpg on the highway. The tires stink. I blew a tire by running into a rock on a dirt road at 3 mph. I was told that if there was more than 4/32" difference in the tread between tires, it would void the warranty on the car. Finally, it's UGLY with a capital U.

Decent SUV alternative, but. . .
By rmay483 on 07/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We've had our Forester L for about 2 years now. Overall, it's a decent vehicle. Handling is very carlike and stable, the interior is reasonably quiet, and the space and layout make it a great camping/outdoor vehicle (which is how we use it). Our main problem has been a faulty oxygen sensor that has been replaced THREE TIMES. Not an expensive fix, but is very irritating. One more and the Lemon Law takes effect. Also the rear hatch shows small rust-colored spots in the paint that the dealer claims are caused by road/brake dust. I've never seen that in any other vehicle I've owned. Otherwise it's been dependable and useful in snowy Michigan.

Good, but not Great
By taxguy on 06/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Rides great, handles great, looks good. Handles rain and snow without a problem and is comfortable to drive or be a front seat passanger. Has decent amount of power (more powerful and quieter than CRV and RAV4). It also has a lot of cargo room. Whoever designed the interior should look for a new job. The back seat is cramped and cannot move back and forth or recline. The drink holder is in the worst spot possible (except if they put it in front of the instrument cluster). Also, the gas mileage, while not bad, is NOT what it states on the sticker. Overall a great car and a great value, just wish they would follow the CRV interior.

Safe and fund to drive
By rramirez2001 on 04/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I love my subaru. I love the way it drives and how safe I feel in it. It handles like a dream in wet weather. It's the perfect height, no climbing up or down. If i had to say anything negative, it would be that the back seat is a little shallow, not a lot of leg room. So if you have tall children or will be carting friends around a great deal, they won't be able to really kick their feet out in the back. Other than that, I think it's perfect.

pretty nice but a few interior problems
By phuntley on 04/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I like this car a lot overall, however, there are few problems with the interior design that I take issue with, especially the placement of the drink holder. The car drives well (handles really well on muddy roads), it holds a lot of cargo with the seats down, and the gas mileage is really good. Plus, all the compartments hidden throughout the car are really fun. I haven't had any problems with the engine or anything functional, and I've put 30,000 miles on it in little over a year.