Used 2001 Subaru Forester S Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Don't Expect Help From Subaru
By premium

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This vehicle was great to drive till things started going wrong. Both rear wheel bearings replaced due to very loud road noise. Transmission flushed, new fluid installed due to vehicle not wanting to go into forward gears, went into reverse ok. Idle & runs rough for years first replaced spark plugs then spark plugs & spark plugs wires. It still runs rough & now (2years later) it will not start if it rains [that’s right if it rains I look for alternative transportation, weird I know]. Clock blanked out, $85 to replace. “Check Engine” light goes on & off at will. At times I can’t get the key out of the ignition.

I have a premium S model & it is comfortable, has heated mirrors & seats

STAND BEHIND YOUR PRODUCT SUBARU !!!!!!

Bad Quality buyer beware
By Kevin

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this Subaru for quite some time and have not driven it over 31,000 miles to date . First of all the rear wheel bearings started sounding like a landing plane, they were replaced under warranty , thank God, but then only 10,000 miles later the same thing , like a growling landing plane , the wheel bearings again , this time guess who is responsible. I contacted Subaru and told them exactly what I think about their poorly designed junk. I wouldn't but another Subaru if they were the only vehicle made. Piece of garbage, if you have to pay over 600.00 every 10,000 miles , you call that reliability ? Not in my book.

none

quality, reliability, build, design , better tranny , better parts and better customer relations. buyer beware.

I love my Subaru
By Andi

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I am the 3rd owner of my 2001 Subaru Forester. I purchased the car used with about 143,000 miles on it. It's now at 155,000. So far in work I have had to replace a cracked CV boot but that was all that I HAD to do. I opted to replace the head gaskets because they were leaking, but the mechanic told me that it wasn't an immediate need. Eventually I replaced the windshield wiper arms, but it was a quick fix. I live in Northern Michigan and the car starts on - 30F days. It grips the road well when there is lots of snow and ice, as well as in the rain. I would definitely buy another Subaru Forester.

All of the little cubby spaces to stash stuff, the heated cloth seats, and the moonroof.

Need a little help with the cupholders.

Keeps on chugging
By Bob

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Just went over 190,000 miles. Repairs: Oxygen sensors at 170,000 miles. Cost about 180 including labor. I got the sensors off of E-Bay and had someone local do it. Head gaskets at 154,000 miles. Cost $1200 by local mechanic. Left rear wheel bearing. Cost: $140. Other then that people are surprised when the get in and find out how much mileage it has on it. I changed out the plugs and wires at 175,000 miles. Cost less then $50. I did it myself. In short I guess I have been somewhat lucky. I look forward to taking it to 250,000 miles. Next timing belt change at 220,000. Anticipated cost: $400 at dealer. Popularity in family: very high. It's always on the road.

AWD, Heated windshield, rear defroster, heated mirrors, heated seats.

Better seats.

Shame on Subaru!
By Gail

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

At 40,000 miles I replaced the 02 sensor. At 45,000 miles I had to replace the catalytic converter. The check engine light has been reset 3 times. At 55,000 miles it needed new rear wheel bearing assembly. At 58,000 miles it needed a re-built transmission, new shocks, and engine mounts. Tires needed replacing at 20,000 miles. The dealership I have been taking the car to for years in Pompano Beach, FL never checked the transmission fluid, though they always claimed to. The transmission fluid was low, but no leaks which another dealer said their neglect caused the transmission failure. Neither Subaru nor the dealer would take responsibility. It is JUNK and I will buy a Honda next time!

Subaru needs to issue more recalls and take more financial responsibility for their ill made vehicles.