2001 Subaru Forester Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
Don't Expect Help From Subaru
By premium on 02/20/10 13:56 PM (PST)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This vehicle was great to drive till things started going wrong. Both rear wheel bearings replaced due to very loud road noise. Transmission flushed, new fluid installed due to vehicle not wanting to go into forward gears, went into reverse ok. Idle & runs rough for years first replaced spark plugs then spark plugs & spark plugs wires. It still runs rough & now (2years later) it will not start if it rains [that’s right if it rains I look for alternative transportation, weird I know]. Clock blanked out, $85 to replace. “Check Engine” light goes on & off at will. At times I can’t get the key out of the ignition.

Bad Quality buyer beware
By Kevin on 01/08/10 15:02 PM (PST)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this Subaru for quite some time and have not driven it over 31,000 miles to date . First of all the rear wheel bearings started sounding like a landing plane, they were replaced under warranty , thank God, but then only 10,000 miles later the same thing , like a growling landing plane , the wheel bearings again , this time guess who is responsible. I contacted Subaru and told them exactly what I think about their poorly designed junk. I wouldn't but another Subaru if they were the only vehicle made. Piece of garbage, if you have to pay over 600.00 every 10,000 miles , you call that reliability ? Not in my book.

I love my Subaru
By Andi on 09/22/09 13:28 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I am the 3rd owner of my 2001 Subaru Forester. I purchased the car used with about 143,000 miles on it. It's now at 155,000. So far in work I have had to replace a cracked CV boot but that was all that I HAD to do. I opted to replace the head gaskets because they were leaking, but the mechanic told me that it wasn't an immediate need. Eventually I replaced the windshield wiper arms, but it was a quick fix. I live in Northern Michigan and the car starts on - 30F days. It grips the road well when there is lots of snow and ice, as well as in the rain. I would definitely buy another Subaru Forester.

Keeps on chugging
By Bob on 07/28/09 10:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Just went over 190,000 miles. Repairs: Oxygen sensors at 170,000 miles. Cost about 180 including labor. I got the sensors off of E-Bay and had someone local do it. Head gaskets at 154,000 miles. Cost $1200 by local mechanic. Left rear wheel bearing. Cost: $140. Other then that people are surprised when the get in and find out how much mileage it has on it. I changed out the plugs and wires at 175,000 miles. Cost less then $50. I did it myself. In short I guess I have been somewhat lucky. I look forward to taking it to 250,000 miles. Next timing belt change at 220,000. Anticipated cost: $400 at dealer. Popularity in family: very high. It's always on the road.

Shame on Subaru!
By Gail on 03/31/09 22:15 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

At 40,000 miles I replaced the 02 sensor. At 45,000 miles I had to replace the catalytic converter. The check engine light has been reset 3 times. At 55,000 miles it needed new rear wheel bearing assembly. At 58,000 miles it needed a re-built transmission, new shocks, and engine mounts. Tires needed replacing at 20,000 miles. The dealership I have been taking the car to for years in Pompano Beach, FL never checked the transmission fluid, though they always claimed to. The transmission fluid was low, but no leaks which another dealer said their neglect caused the transmission failure. Neither Subaru nor the dealer would take responsibility. It is JUNK and I will buy a Honda next time!

Wish I had my outback sport
By Nathan on 03/18/09 19:43 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My first Subaru was a 98 impreza outback sport. I loved that car, except the seats. I bought the 01 forester s after my wife hydroplaned and totaled her car. I have put close to 60k miles on the car since I bought it used. In that time I have had to replace the front right wheel bearing and hub, right rear wheel bearing, left rear wheel bearing x 2, both servo boots, knock sensor, catalytic converter, and head gasket seals. The left rear wheel bearing had to be replaced the second time because the dealer apparently used a chisel to remove the bearing and scored the spindle causing it to ware prematurely. On both occasions SOA did reimburse me. I do all sch. maint. & still have prob.

Great Little SUV
By JT on 01/27/09 13:00 PM (PST)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our Forester new from the dealer and have had it maintained consistently by the same dealer. This car has been flawless and having regular maintenance has kept us ahead of potential problems. Yeah, the original Geolander tires only went 26K, but I put ContiPremierContac on after and got about 65K out of them. We have driven it on 7-8 hour day trips and found no comfort issues since the seat reclines. We like this car so much, we are debating whether to get a new one... and with only 96k miles on the car its a tough call ! This car has served us well during northern Ohio winters.

Wonderful Car!
By B. on 12/10/08 14:18 PM (PST)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car. We bought this car used and it worked fine, about 1 year later the tailgates wiper stopped working. The ball bearing went on 1 tire and is now going again. The light behind the speedometer and on the shifter do not work anymore and the clock died. The lining on every door is falling off. With all these problems I still love the car and would gladly buy one again. The car is perfect for winter driving and on dirt roads. I drive this car about 60 miles a day. Of all our cars this one gets the best mileage. I am very mean to my car and drive it on very rough terrain too. I have bent a strut, dented the oil pan, etc. but the car is still very reliable.

Lemon?
By Christen on 08/13/08 15:06 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first time owning a Subaru and I was very happy with it until a few weeks ago. It was always very reliable. I have had it in all kinds of conditions from 115 degree Arizona summers to mountains in Colorado to harsh winters in Ohio and never had any major problems besides routine maintenance. I had the head gasket replaced according to the recall a year and 6 months ago. On a recent trip the head gaskets both blew, blowing up the entire engine. Check engine light was on already due to oxygen sensors and had been for 2 days. Called the dealership, there was nothing they could do as the warranty on the head gasket repair had expired 6 mos before. Very costly repair, very disappointing.

RT REAR WHEEL BEARING 6TH AND COUNTING
By RIchard Kane on 07/28/08 18:47 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester Wagon S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

First right rear bearing went bad 2,000 miles after I purchased the car two years old used. Since then, it has been replaced four more times and now needs another one replaced. Worst part is that the bad wheel bearing causes that tire to wear much more quickly. With AWD all four tires must match. That's a lot of tires. $$$

1 2 3 4 5 next »