2001 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
Missing my Subaru
By 2001subaru on 10/23/13 21:46 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Boy do I miss my Subaru! I bought my 2001 Forester about 5 years ago and I do a lot of driving. It has served me well and I was well on my way toward the 300,000 mark (just crested 266,000) when I hit a deer a few days ago. I walked away without a scratch, the windshield didn't break and the bumper is still intact but the rest of the front of the car is totaled! If you could see the pictures you wouldn't believe I didn't get hurt. I had my seat belt on and was cruising along at 55 on the expressway. The huge 8 point buck destroyed the front end of my Forester, but nothing jolted the interior space. Amazing!

So far, so good.
By Mike on 08/11/10 11:40 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We bought this vehicle last year after wrecking our Jeep Cherokee. Wife wanted a smaller vehicle, but one with AWD also. We knew nothing about Subarus, but bought this one anyway. It drives beautifully. Great in the snow, AWD is a necessity where we live. Only routine maintenance so far. Gas mileage could be better with a vehicle this small, but I'm sure the AWD has something to do with this. As others have noted, the location of the cup holder is poor. I think the engineer was on crack when he designed it. Also, the clock doesn't work (also noted in other reviews). Backing up is tricky (visibility). Other than that, no major issues. Our next car will be another one of these.

Problems galore
By subpain on 08/03/10 18:35 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This car has serious problems with the axle and wheel bearing assembly. I replace the Rt rear bearings in 2005 @33,000 mi, the Rt & Lt rear bearings in 2006 @ 46,000 mi, and this month the left rear bearing @84,000 mi in 2010. The front axles have both been replaced in the last 2 yrs, one twice. now the O2 sensors need replacing. the head gasket was recalled and replaced. It is hard to believe I am driving the same car and the same model as those with glowing reports.