Used 2001 Subaru Forester L Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

My Blue Subie
By TimothyFC

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought used in 02/2008 for $8500. 58K mi. Automatic. 09/24/2009 94500 mi. Severe Service. $268 03/2008 Front Passenger Axle Assembly. Alternator Rebuild 12/2008 P&L $150. $168 P&L Left Rear Wheel Cylinder and brake linings. No breakdowns so far. Rear Tires road noise noticeable. Excellent AWD performance on very bad wet and dry farm dirt roads 04 to 05/2009 Laurel Hill, Fl. City and highway driving nice. Bad weather performance good. MPG good. Regular maintenance cost high but, (AWD) understandable. Spark plugs, wires, K&N Air Filter, Radiator Fluid, Radiator Hoses, Belts, Oil Changes all done. Trans & Diff fluid, timing belt not done yet.

AWD, MPG, Blue, Fog Lights, Roof Rack, Utility, Ruggedness, hide away spare tire, pwr windows, pwr locks.

Reduction of maintenance requirements and cost. Different position for cup holder. Better radio and CD player. Better clock. Better tire road noise reduction.

Bad Roads
By TFC

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

(90K) Handled very well 2000 miles and very bad dirt rural roads in Laurel Hill Fl. in 04/2009. Only normal and minor things wrong. Front passenger axle assembly, $268, 03/2008. Alternator 11/2008 (rebuilt), $168. Driver door outside door handle,($69 P/L.) Clock, CD Drive (not done). Cold, Rain and moderate off road very good. Rear tire hum tolerable. Full non-towing load performance very good. Still love it. Go anywhere, do anything. Beach, fishing, hiking, bicycling.

Blue exterior. Full non-towing load performance. Fog Lights. Roof Cargo rack.

Better sound system. Better rear area sound deadening.

I love my Forester!!!
By Harry Velez

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Forester in 2001 and in all this time I have had to replace only the head lamps... only one if I remember correctly. Other than that I have 2 flats. That's it. This car is the best performing vehicle I have ever owned. It runs great. It is comfortable. Its reliability is outstanding. Wish I could buy a new one... but the old one is just going too strong to consider that.

Seat warmers in winter. Amazing all wheel drive. The car "almost" drives better in the rain! LOL.

Stronger cup holders. AUX jack for i-pod. Bluetooth for cell. Better location for clock.

Most Reliable Car I Have Owned!
By Kirk

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my Forester for almost nine years and 90,500 miles. There have minimal maintenance issues, it is always reliable and gets respectable mileage on my way to work, about 25.5 mpg. This little SUV is very practical: the liberal hauling capacity is somewhat deceptive as I am frequently surprised over how much the cargo space holds. I have hauled some furniture items and building materials that other people were sure would never fit! We like this little SUV so much that we are considering buying a new Forester. Without a doubt, this has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned.

The SUV is fun to drive, much more fun than my old Ford Explorer. It easily handles speed humps, corners nicely, and really hugs the road in town and the open highway. My wife and I both found the interior just "fit" us, and that's what finally sold us on the vehicle.

The exterior design is a bit stodgy, looking more like a boxy station wagon than an SUV. There is a rattle in the tailgate that sometimes is a bit annoying, but if that's the worst of my car complaints, then I am truly fortunate. Besides, I can always just turn up the stereo!

Rear Wheel Bearings and Build Quality
By Bob

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my 2001 Subaru Forester new from Carr Subaru in Beaverton Oregon. The Forester new had to have some type of additive put into the radiator just assuming from what I have read recently to keep the head gasket from leaking, the cup holders are in the wrong place, the carpet started to come loose at 3,000 miles, the gas cap door won't close and now I have had to replace both rear wheel bearings at 79,000 miles. What is next. This is the second Sabaru I have owned and the last. This Vehicle is a piece of junk. Sabaru needs to wake up just as recently the American autos have done.

price

Build your Vehicles with Better Quality Materials such as head gaskets, Wheel Bearings, axles and boots and please fix the location of the cup holders.