2001 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
My Blue Subie
By TimothyFC on 09/24/09 18:05 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought used in 02/2008 for $8500. 58K mi. Automatic. 09/24/2009 94500 mi. Severe Service. $268 03/2008 Front Passenger Axle Assembly. Alternator Rebuild 12/2008 P&L $150. $168 P&L Left Rear Wheel Cylinder and brake linings. No breakdowns so far. Rear Tires road noise noticeable. Excellent AWD performance on very bad wet and dry farm dirt roads 04 to 05/2009 Laurel Hill, Fl. City and highway driving nice. Bad weather performance good. MPG good. Regular maintenance cost high but, (AWD) understandable. Spark plugs, wires, K&N Air Filter, Radiator Fluid, Radiator Hoses, Belts, Oil Changes all done. Trans & Diff fluid, timing belt not done yet.

Bad Roads
By TFC on 08/05/09 14:21 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

(90K) Handled very well 2000 miles and very bad dirt rural roads in Laurel Hill Fl. in 04/2009. Only normal and minor things wrong. Front passenger axle assembly, $268, 03/2008. Alternator 11/2008 (rebuilt), $168. Driver door outside door handle,($69 P/L.) Clock, CD Drive (not done). Cold, Rain and moderate off road very good. Rear tire hum tolerable. Full non-towing load performance very good. Still love it. Go anywhere, do anything. Beach, fishing, hiking, bicycling.

I love my Forester!!!
By Harry Velez on 06/08/09 14:48 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Forester in 2001 and in all this time I have had to replace only the head lamps... only one if I remember correctly. Other than that I have 2 flats. That's it. This car is the best performing vehicle I have ever owned. It runs great. It is comfortable. Its reliability is outstanding. Wish I could buy a new one... but the old one is just going too strong to consider that.

Most Reliable Car I Have Owned!
By Kirk on 06/03/09 16:28 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my Forester for almost nine years and 90,500 miles. There have minimal maintenance issues, it is always reliable and gets respectable mileage on my way to work, about 25.5 mpg. This little SUV is very practical: the liberal hauling capacity is somewhat deceptive as I am frequently surprised over how much the cargo space holds. I have hauled some furniture items and building materials that other people were sure would never fit! We like this little SUV so much that we are considering buying a new Forester. Without a doubt, this has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned.

Rear Wheel Bearings and Build Quality
By Bob on 05/10/09 08:01 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my 2001 Subaru Forester new from Carr Subaru in Beaverton Oregon. The Forester new had to have some type of additive put into the radiator just assuming from what I have read recently to keep the head gasket from leaking, the cup holders are in the wrong place, the carpet started to come loose at 3,000 miles, the gas cap door won't close and now I have had to replace both rear wheel bearings at 79,000 miles. What is next. This is the second Sabaru I have owned and the last. This Vehicle is a piece of junk. Sabaru needs to wake up just as recently the American autos have done.

Wheel Bearings
By Ojinaga on 12/14/08 16:20 PM (PST)

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my Forester for over 6 years. It had 28,000 miles on it when I purchased it. It has now 200,000 miles on it. Had the defect of the Engine light which finally has gone out after changing everything at once. Wheel bearings have been the major source of anger. I have replaced the front wheel bearing twice per side and rear bearing 4 per side. Last time I decided to replace the axle, the hub and get AMERICAN bearings. The hub is the secret and lousy bearings half the problem. No problems now. Cup holders were removed. I live on a hill with a 45 degree angle. Goes up every time with 6 inches of snow ! For all the BS, I will buy another and trade it every 4 years.

2001 Subaru Forester
By suzieque69 on 11/17/08 16:47 PM (PST)

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I had a baby and wanted a safe vehicle. After doing much research, chose the 2001 Forester. Within the first year had problems ranging from 02 sensors, cruise control issues, paint coming off sport grille, sluggish acceleration, etc. I have thrown several thousand into repairs for this vehicle. Multiple 02 sensors, uneven tire wear (mult. sets), cup holder broke, clock went out, defrost out, head gaskets need replacing and had to replace catalytic converter and timing belt all before 110000! Gets lower than stated mileage, loud road noise, can't ever use cruise control or car starts jumping and jerking dangerously (but no dealer can replicate or figure out). DON'T BUY!!!

My Forester is a lemon
By Paul on 11/14/08 10:22 AM (PST)

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We love the way the Forester handles on difficult roads (we lived in MN and ME with it). We are very saddened by the horrible maintenance issues we've had. In the last eight months (starting at about 103,000 miles) we've sunk $4700 into the car hoping to keep it going, but we're now looking at another $1800 in repairs. The killers have been that we've had to replace the clutch, the head gasket and both front axles. Now we have to replace the drive shaft. We will sadly dump our Forester, and will not buy another Subaru. The two cheap Chevys I owned before getting the Forester had better repair records than this! We're headed out to get another Honda.

Best AWD Fuel Economy
By Steven on 10/27/08 13:27 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have had nothing but good luck with my 2001 Forester. I live in the Northeast and having a Subaru in the heart of the wintertime is what you need. The handling and performance along with the fuel economy makes the Forester my top pick over all the competition. I looked at the CRV and the RAV-4 and they did not even compare top the Forester. I highly recommend the Forester to anyone who wants a reliable vehicle along with the fuel economy.

Reliable on everything
By JP on 10/23/08 08:42 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought it new and have had minimal repairs and total reliability. Have replaced both boot cover for axle (too close to muffler-bad design) and at 160000 am replacing timing belt. Only minor expected brake part replacement and tires. Drive on dirt roads and in the Rocky Mountains and it is great. I drive a great deal and never feel I am at risk. This car handles snowy roads very well. I have even gone off the road into a ditch (my stupidity) and was able to keep it upright and get right back on (snowy dirt road). So I am guessing that rollovers are not common. If that had been my old explorer, I would have rolled. Best AWD around as far as I am concerned

1 2 3 4 5 next »