Used 2001 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

2001 Subaru Forester

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Missing my Subaru
By 2001subaru

2001 Subaru Forester S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Boy do I miss my Subaru! I bought my 2001 Forester about 5 years ago and I do a lot of driving. It has served me well and I was well on my way toward the 300,000 mark (just crested 266,000) when I hit a deer a few days ago. I walked away without a scratch, the windshield didn't break and the bumper is still intact but the rest of the front of the car is totaled! If you could see the pictures you wouldn't believe I didn't get hurt. I had my seat belt on and was cruising along at 55 on the expressway. The huge 8 point buck destroyed the front end of my Forester, but nothing jolted the interior space. Amazing!

Favorite Features

Easy to maneuver on twisty back roads. Lots of pep. Good on Fuel.

Love this car!
By shannonehill

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have had my 2001 Subaru Forester since 2004 and have loved every minute of owning this car. My Subaru is nearing 200k and sadly starting to deteriorate (rust spots, transmission, and suspicious coolant leak) so I'm looking for a new car. I would buy another Subaru in a heart beat if I was looking for longevity. I also love having all wheel drive. As long as my tires are in good shape I've never had any trouble in the snow. Aside from normal maintenance of a high mileage car I've spent little on my Subaru. My car has also never broken down. I swear the commercials brainwash you but really I love this car and would drive it till the day I die if I could.

I'll never buy another Subaru!
By lizlubee

2001 Subaru Forester S AWD 4dr Wagon w/Premium Package (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My Forester was purchased new and always received scheduled services and oil changes. It had very low mileage (<97,000 miles) and was in terrific condition (or so I thought). I recently learned it had a leaking head gasket (a notorious Subaru problem), 2 bad rear wheel bearings, and leaking oil pan. It also needed a new catalytic converter according to my mechanic. Well, any car that disintegrates before 100,000 miles is not worthy of my attention so I (in very short order) traded it in. I now have a 2014 Mazda CX 5 which is ten times the car my old Forester ever was!

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Too many to list

I am in love with my Forester!
By agarside

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I got my Forester awhile back and I am still loving it! Every time that I go out to drive it I still get excited to this day. I thought it being a 2001 it wouldn't be very good but that is the opposite! I love my Forester!

Favorite Features

All the compartments for storage, Comfortable seats, Rear seats fold down for more storage, Racks on top of car.

Suggested Improvements

Clock, Radio, Seats don't go as far back as I would like.

I love my Forester and all of the other Subaru's I've owned.
By jbunting82

2001 Subaru Forester S AWD 4dr Wagon w/Premium Package (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My Forester has been great since the day I bought it. It's never once ever left me stranded and gets me where I need to go every time. I don't ever have to worry about if it will let me down even with the 140,000 miles it currently has on it. I have had to replace some things here and there along the way, but that's normal on every kind of car. I see these people on here complain about Subaru and it makes me laugh. Subaru builds some of the most reliable vehicles on the road and dollar for dollar there is nothing out there that beats their overall value. I'm convinced that if you've had nothing but problems with your Subaru, the real problem is probably you, not the car.

Favorite Features

The confidence of not having to worry about the weather. I love driving right past everyone else in the snow/sleet/rain just like it is a beautiful sunny day. I also just love the culture that comes with these vehicles. It is hard to find a Subaru owner that doesn't love their car or hasn't owned like 5 of them already. Plus Subaru really does stand behind their cars and their owners. They spend millions each year to pay for repairs they are in no way obligated to do so. Chances are if you call Subaru for help they will give it. If they don't help, chances are you just really didn't deserve it in the first place. At that point be realistic, man up and don't get mad when they say no.

Suggested Improvements

The only thing I wish was better was the fuel economy. It's okay though because I understand that the All Wheel Drive sucks up a fair amount of juice. A few less MPG for the ability to drive safely in every weather is worth it to me. I will always be a Subaru owner.