2001 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
Missing my Subaru
By 2001subaru on 10/23/13 21:46 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Boy do I miss my Subaru! I bought my 2001 Forester about 5 years ago and I do a lot of driving. It has served me well and I was well on my way toward the 300,000 mark (just crested 266,000) when I hit a deer a few days ago. I walked away without a scratch, the windshield didn't break and the bumper is still intact but the rest of the front of the car is totaled! If you could see the pictures you wouldn't believe I didn't get hurt. I had my seat belt on and was cruising along at 55 on the expressway. The huge 8 point buck destroyed the front end of my Forester, but nothing jolted the interior space. Amazing!

Love this car!
By shannonehill on 06/25/13 06:34 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have had my 2001 Subaru Forester since 2004 and have loved every minute of owning this car. My Subaru is nearing 200k and sadly starting to deteriorate (rust spots, transmission, and suspicious coolant leak) so I'm looking for a new car. I would buy another Subaru in a heart beat if I was looking for longevity. I also love having all wheel drive. As long as my tires are in good shape I've never had any trouble in the snow. Aside from normal maintenance of a high mileage car I've spent little on my Subaru. My car has also never broken down. I swear the commercials brainwash you but really I love this car and would drive it till the day I die if I could.

I'll never buy another Subaru!
By lizlubee on 04/08/13 12:45 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester S AWD 4dr Wagon w/Premium Package (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My Forester was purchased new and always received scheduled services and oil changes. It had very low mileage (<97,000 miles) and was in terrific condition (or so I thought). I recently learned it had a leaking head gasket (a notorious Subaru problem), 2 bad rear wheel bearings, and leaking oil pan. It also needed a new catalytic converter according to my mechanic. Well, any car that disintegrates before 100,000 miles is not worthy of my attention so I (in very short order) traded it in. I now have a 2014 Mazda CX 5 which is ten times the car my old Forester ever was!

I am in love with my Forester!
By agarside on 04/30/12 18:23 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I got my Forester awhile back and I am still loving it! Every time that I go out to drive it I still get excited to this day. I thought it being a 2001 it wouldn't be very good but that is the opposite! I love my Forester!

I love my Forester and all of the other Subaru's I've owned.
By jbunting82 on 12/17/11 17:52 PM (PST)

2001 Subaru Forester S AWD 4dr Wagon w/Premium Package (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My Forester has been great since the day I bought it. It's never once ever left me stranded and gets me where I need to go every time. I don't ever have to worry about if it will let me down even with the 140,000 miles it currently has on it. I have had to replace some things here and there along the way, but that's normal on every kind of car. I see these people on here complain about Subaru and it makes me laugh. Subaru builds some of the most reliable vehicles on the road and dollar for dollar there is nothing out there that beats their overall value. I'm convinced that if you've had nothing but problems with your Subaru, the real problem is probably you, not the car.

Love this car! Waiting for a hybrid!
By Baltomd on 09/27/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester S AWD 4dr Wagon w/Premium Package (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Everyone hates the cup holders and back seats in this year, so no need to comment. This car has been through several accidents (2 rear ends, high impact, and one passenger side). No one hurt. 235k miles so far. Totally fun to drive, a breeze to park. Feels like an SUV and behaves like a compact. Many years of highway commuting and felt very safe. (accidents were other idiots in local traffic!). I'm sorry that the newer models are high end premium. This is the perfect car to adapt to a hybrid! Not giving this puppy up yet!

Do yourself a favor-don't buy a Subaru!
By denise on 09/03/10 16:45 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We bought our 2000 Subaru Forester in 2005. It only had 45,000 miles on it so we thought it was a great deal. A few months down the road it started showing signs of trouble-needed a new o2 sensor, then we have had an ongoing problem with the catalytic converter and have replaced it with a new one a few months ago, now it won't pass inspection-one garage says it is the gasket-another garage says it is a leaking problem and it needs to be welded (catalytic converter) also brakes also the cv boot was cracked and needed to be replaced-it is a constant drain of money-trading it in for something more reliable! Subaru is horrible!

So far, so good.
By Mike on 08/11/10 11:40 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We bought this vehicle last year after wrecking our Jeep Cherokee. Wife wanted a smaller vehicle, but one with AWD also. We knew nothing about Subarus, but bought this one anyway. It drives beautifully. Great in the snow, AWD is a necessity where we live. Only routine maintenance so far. Gas mileage could be better with a vehicle this small, but I'm sure the AWD has something to do with this. As others have noted, the location of the cup holder is poor. I think the engineer was on crack when he designed it. Also, the clock doesn't work (also noted in other reviews). Backing up is tricky (visibility). Other than that, no major issues. Our next car will be another one of these.

Problems galore
By subpain on 08/03/10 18:35 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Forester S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This car has serious problems with the axle and wheel bearing assembly. I replace the Rt rear bearings in 2005 @33,000 mi, the Rt & Lt rear bearings in 2006 @ 46,000 mi, and this month the left rear bearing @84,000 mi in 2010. The front axles have both been replaced in the last 2 yrs, one twice. now the O2 sensors need replacing. the head gasket was recalled and replaced. It is hard to believe I am driving the same car and the same model as those with glowing reports.

Don't Expect Help From Subaru
By premium on 02/20/10 13:56 PM (PST)

2001 Subaru Forester S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This vehicle was great to drive till things started going wrong. Both rear wheel bearings replaced due to very loud road noise. Transmission flushed, new fluid installed due to vehicle not wanting to go into forward gears, went into reverse ok. Idle & runs rough for years first replaced spark plugs then spark plugs & spark plugs wires. It still runs rough & now (2years later) it will not start if it rains [that’s right if it rains I look for alternative transportation, weird I know]. Clock blanked out, $85 to replace. “Check Engine” light goes on & off at will. At times I can’t get the key out of the ignition.