Used 2001 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews - 108 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

2001 Subaru Forester

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

old paint
By THOMAS FULTON

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Best sport car ever!!!! Great for hiking trips!!!
By lyn

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

First and last Subaru although saved my life
By Brendan

2001 Subaru Forester S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Bought used in immaculate condition in 2013 with zero rust, completely undercoated, 134000 miles and mint, or so we thought. Same day I left the lot the check engine came on no more than 2 miles down the road. Dealer replaced head gaskets, two days go by, now needs a fuel filler neck, another day goes by, needed new suspension components and a catalytic converter, left shop with a migraine after shelling out $6700 for what was told to me one of the best used cars, no more than another week went by and it needed a brand new exhaust and rear bushings, finally it basically had been rebuilt then on Valentine's day 2013 was hit head on by drunk driver, he was driving a newer Pontiac Vibe which hit frontal offset my Subaru, I walked away, Vibe buckled like a tuna can and their tranny dropped from their car as he tried pulling away (karma), my fiance at the time was injured but is still alive thank God. The Subaru was totalled and although it needed extensive repairs it was terrific in the snow and rain, best tires used on the car were Hankook H727s, they hugged the road! But figuring in the repair bills, I will never buy another. I guess the best part was it's safety and the worst was reliability. My Honda isn't much more reliable just waiting for a truly reliable car and I meticulously maintain my cars.

Missing my Subaru
By 2001subaru

2001 Subaru Forester S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Boy do I miss my Subaru! I bought my 2001 Forester about 5 years ago and I do a lot of driving. It has served me well and I was well on my way toward the 300,000 mark (just crested 266,000) when I hit a deer a few days ago. I walked away without a scratch, the windshield didn't break and the bumper is still intact but the rest of the front of the car is totaled! If you could see the pictures you wouldn't believe I didn't get hurt. I had my seat belt on and was cruising along at 55 on the expressway. The huge 8 point buck destroyed the front end of my Forester, but nothing jolted the interior space. Amazing!

Easy to maneuver on twisty back roads. Lots of pep. Good on Fuel.

Love this car!
By shannonehill

2001 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have had my 2001 Subaru Forester since 2004 and have loved every minute of owning this car.
My Subaru is nearing 200k and sadly starting to deteriorate (rust spots, transmission, and suspicious coolant leak) so I'm looking for a new car.
I would buy another Subaru in a heart beat if I was looking for longevity.
I also love having all wheel drive.
As long as my tires are in good shape I've never had any trouble in the snow.

Aside from normal maintenance of a high mileage car I've spent little on my Subaru.
My car has also never broken down.
I swear the commercials brainwash you but really I love this car and would drive it till the day I die if I could.