Used 2000 Subaru Forester L Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Subaru Forester Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Another love-hate relationship
By Stacey

2000 Subaru Forester Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

I am in love with my little Forester. It's a fun drive, great on gas, can carry all my stuff with room to spare, and gives me lots of headroom (and I'm pretty tall, too). However, I hate that I have to keep putting money in for repairs. I just did the math and found I've had about $2,300 in major repairs over the last year and a half, including: head gasket, alternator, combination switch, rear wheel bearing, and most recently the catalytic converter. If this keeps up I will have to get another car, which will make me quite sad indeed.

Cargo space, view of the road, headroom and height of the car in general (not too short, not too tall), gas mileage.

I certainly wish the parts in the engine lasted longer (aren't Subarus supposed to be built to last?).

Solid SUV
By ciosavlo

2000 Subaru Forester Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

Not really had any issues with this car. Its got nice pickup and is a blast to drive. Can routinely out drive the bigger v-6's. This Sube is like all the others, solid engine, drivetrain, and external parts. Some rust a bit quick than others, but you can tell some real design went into this car. Drawbacks are the interior. Rear seat is cramped, but hardly every use the rear seat so its worth the trade off. Also, choice of materials inside was weak and has lasted as long as it should.

Solid drive components, handling, fun car to drive.

Interior components, choice of leather or even cloth over some vinyl components.

Many problems, sold mine
By rhk0328

2000 Subaru Forester Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

It's really been a nightmare on problems coming up. I owned the car until 72,000 miles. I had to replace 5 wheel bearings with no sign of a fix. I had to replace the clutch/flywheel/pressure plate around 50k milesfo $1500. Both of these problems are well documented. Good news is that the cluch problem is supposed to be fixed now. That chattering sound is not normal. Mine went bad. I got bad support from subaru for the problems. It's really been a thorn in my side. My gas mileage was around 21 mpg. The stock tires (bridgestones duelers) wear really poorly. The cheaper brands work better. The windshield is also fragile, chipping easily.

Sufficient horses (160Hp). The handling was pretty good.

Wheelbearings, clutch, gas mileage (related to O2 sensor?), tire wear, and customer service.

repeated oxygen sensor issues
By nbrown

2000 Subaru Forester Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

I have a love/hate relationship with my Forester. I love the design and the AWD. I hate that I have had the oxygen sensor replaced FOUR times. I love that I can haul just about anything in it. I hate that my baby's car seat doesn't fit in the back seat. When my lease is up this year I will be trading it in for something more family friendly with more interior room and less engine problems.

cargo area. exterior design. AWD.

more space in the back seat. oxygen sensor that really works. move the cupholder from above the stereo--to eliminate the drip problem and keep cold drinks from getting heated up by the vent.

forester great all round
By DrDr

2000 Subaru Forester Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

The Forester was the best mid-small SUV wagon from 98 to 2002, except its looks. It's forte is gravel bumpy roads, but does many things well. Quirks you need to know: 1..the manual transmission gives much better than rated mpg, I've got 25 to 27.5 mpg with all of the 200 tanks I've calculated. It's also much quicker than the AT. 2..The clutch chatters when wet. Subaru now acknowleges this for Foresters and WRX but there's no fix. 3..It can take a long time to get repair parts.

Handles small to medium bumps very well. I can race any SUV or truck on bumpy winding roads. It's lighter and nimbler than all mid-sized SUVs and holds nearly as much.

Keep accessory power on with key off. Fix the clutch chatter problem. Give the manual trans overdrive. Paint/Finish needs more scratch resistance. Reduce wind noise. Increase road clearance 1/2 to 1 inch.