2000 Subaru Forester Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
Perfect Winter car
By Dustinson on 02/19/10 13:53 PM (PST)

2000 Subaru Forester Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought a high powered rear-wheel drive car and needed something for winter. I hated the look of this car, but am glad I bought it. I drive through snow half way up the door panels with ease. I can't imagine going back to just a front-wheel drive car for winter.

Love this car
By subi! on 11/10/09 20:44 PM (PST)

2000 Subaru Forester Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

I have had this car for several years and I love it. It is the best car on snow, can tow a small trailer, and I get almost 30mpg! Sure it looks a little square, but I like the way it looks. It has been the perfect car for me and my dog to get to the mountains.

Love it!
By Garcia subaru on 10/16/07 18:43 PM (PDT)

2000 Subaru Forester Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

I love this vehicle! Fun to drive, pulls 2000 lbs, very reliable, was not too expensive, great in snow. Nearly 180000 on it with no major problems. Have done routine maintainance, replaced the brakes, starter and clutch once. Had one part needing replacement with the catalytic converter (cost 3-400 dollars), needed to replace the tape player (replaced it with a CD/tape player) and that was it. Still running great and I hope to keep it for another 100,000 miles. Get 20-30 mpg on freeway (at 60-70 mph) and 27-27 in town. I am planning to buy another in the future and am hoping they can improve the gas mileage by then. (They keep increasing the engine horsepower which I do not feel it needs.)

This car is a continuous Headache
By starsmyles on 02/22/07 16:23 PM (PST)

2000 Subaru Forester Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

I purchased my Subaru Forester in the summer of 2003. I live in Maine and was looking for something safe and reliable since I need my car for my work. I was in love with the car when the dealership let me take the car home overnight for a test drive. It drove wonderfully! I don't believe I had any major issues with the car in the first year that I had it. I had oil changes done as recommended and took care of it. Also my bug deflector panel thing that came with the car flew off one day while I was going 55 mph. In the summer of 2005 though I started to have issues. The car would not go anywheres until I put it into reverse first and then into drive. Once in drive I had no issues.

After seven years of ownership
By bargain hunter on 10/16/06 12:42 PM (PDT)

2000 Subaru Forester Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought this vehicle new in January 2000. For seven years I never had any major problems with this vehicle other than a radiator replacement. In the seventh year everything went on it at once. CV boots, wheel alignment, worn out wheel bearing, engine cylinder gaskets, fuel filter. The vehicle only had 81,000 miles on it when this all happen.

Another love-hate relationship
By Stacey on 05/16/06 15:46 PM (PDT)

2000 Subaru Forester Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

I am in love with my little Forester. It's a fun drive, great on gas, can carry all my stuff with room to spare, and gives me lots of headroom (and I'm pretty tall, too). However, I hate that I have to keep putting money in for repairs. I just did the math and found I've had about $2,300 in major repairs over the last year and a half, including: head gasket, alternator, combination switch, rear wheel bearing, and most recently the catalytic converter. If this keeps up I will have to get another car, which will make me quite sad indeed.

Solid SUV
By ciosavlo on 01/19/06 15:47 PM (PST)

2000 Subaru Forester Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

Not really had any issues with this car. Its got nice pickup and is a blast to drive. Can routinely out drive the bigger v-6's. This Sube is like all the others, solid engine, drivetrain, and external parts. Some rust a bit quick than others, but you can tell some real design went into this car. Drawbacks are the interior. Rear seat is cramped, but hardly every use the rear seat so its worth the trade off. Also, choice of materials inside was weak and has lasted as long as it should.

Many problems, sold mine
By rhk0328 on 09/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Subaru Forester Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

It's really been a nightmare on problems coming up. I owned the car until 72,000 miles. I had to replace 5 wheel bearings with no sign of a fix. I had to replace the clutch/flywheel/pressure plate around 50k milesfo $1500. Both of these problems are well documented. Good news is that the cluch problem is supposed to be fixed now. That chattering sound is not normal. Mine went bad. I got bad support from subaru for the problems. It's really been a thorn in my side. My gas mileage was around 21 mpg. The stock tires (bridgestones duelers) wear really poorly. The cheaper brands work better. The windshield is also fragile, chipping easily.

repeated oxygen sensor issues
By nbrown on 12/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Subaru Forester Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

I have a love/hate relationship with my Forester. I love the design and the AWD. I hate that I have had the oxygen sensor replaced FOUR times. I love that I can haul just about anything in it. I hate that my baby's car seat doesn't fit in the back seat. When my lease is up this year I will be trading it in for something more family friendly with more interior room and less engine problems.

forester great all round
By DrDr on 08/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Subaru Forester Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

The Forester was the best mid-small SUV wagon from 98 to 2002, except its looks. It's forte is gravel bumpy roads, but does many things well. Quirks you need to know: 1..the manual transmission gives much better than rated mpg, I've got 25 to 27.5 mpg with all of the 200 tanks I've calculated. It's also much quicker than the AT. 2..The clutch chatters when wet. Subaru now acknowleges this for Foresters and WRX but there's no fix. 3..It can take a long time to get repair parts.