Used 2000 Subaru Forester S Consumer Reviews - 9 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Overall Good car with recent issues
By faithin14eva

2000 Subaru Forester S 4dr Wagon AWD

My husband and I bought this car in 2009 and it had 108,000 miles on it. Last year we hit a slight hiccup when our O2 sensor went. The garages near us had a hard time figuring out what the issue was and we eventually went down to the actual dealership and as soon as we described the problem they knew the answer. It is now a year later and my husband went to replace the rotors and brakes and discovered that the calipers, and inner and outer tire rods were bad as well in the front and the caliper on the rear driver side was bad as well. Now we have fixed all of this for around 400 and yet the brake system is still not working properly. More attempts to come to fix it.

We love that this car does so well in snow and it's a generally safe car. While my mother was driving my car she was involved in a minor accident and the car held up beautifully compared to what could have happened to it.

Just so anyone reading this knows. The only option this gave me was 5 speed manual and my forester is an AUTOMATIC. I am unsure what can be improved other than the gas mileage. The interior can be a little more style friendly and comfortable and the outside can use the same style help. When it comes time to fix the vehicle the ability to fix many parts is diminished because of lack of space. Also there seems to be a lot of rusting with the nuts and bolts. Perhaps a solution could be found for this as well.

Few problems...So far
By lgdawley

2000 Subaru Forester S 4dr Wagon AWD

Like - plenty of room for my golden retriever and his friends and for carrying furniture, supplies, etc; virtually no blind spots; original brakes lasted to 87,000 miles. Dislike - cup holder location; cheap interior fabric; weak front windshield - had to replace mine the first year; paint that chips easily; had 1 wheel-bearing go - hopefully others won't follow soon. Too noisy driving on the freeway. Other - wish they could be a little more "stylish".

I love how easy this vehicle is to drive and I especially like the clear visual field that minimizes blind spots and enables me to manuever in tight spots. Great turning radius.

Move front cupholders away from air vents and audio components. Upgrade interior materials, especially the cloth and rear cargo area material. Rear area temperature controls should be mandatory. Improve sound abatement for a quieter ride.

best car I ever bought
By pbohn

2000 Subaru Forester S 4dr Wagon AWD

Plenty of power with 2.5L dohc 4cyl.
good auto trans performance.

4wheel drive works well. S trim suspension really important for best maneuverability on highway, such as collision avoidance.

Accept its good points and don't expect it to give gas mileage of a Geo "speck"!

So far, so good
By AustinFromBoston

Bought this car about 6 months ago for
my wife... it was by far the best
driving small SUV we drove. Ours had
24,000 when we got it and it has about
30,000 now... no real problems to speak
of, except some annoying rattles with
interior body parts. I had a 18 year-
old BMW that never had any rattles!

AWD is great, power is good, driving is great compared to Rav 4, etc.

Less rattles would be great, body seems extremely prone to getting dings... like the metal is soft. Radio sounds quite bad. Breaks squeak when cold.

Go Everywhere and anywhere car
By Seeingsienna

2000 Subaru Forester S 4dr Wagon AWD

This car doe sit all. It is my commuter
car, my sporty ride car, my
soccer/baseball car and my landscaping
car, and now even my camping car. Other
than 3 repairs to the rear wheel
bearings {see other owners reporting
same problem and local serviceman
saying it is common for the car}, it
has been trouble free. Mileage drops to
21-22 in winter - I suspect bad
oxygen/gas mixture b/c tires are kept
well inflated. In warm weather I get 25-
27 overall.

With AWD and snows I NEVER got stuck even in 18" storm. Gauge pack always cool to check out. Trailing hitch just right for light duty hauling of sports and yard eqpmt. Use hitch basket for coolers/wood. Manual provides extra pulling w/o tip-in surge on automatics.

Slightly larger length for more leg room front and most back. A bit more lux items like power seat adjusters and dual automatic climate controls. Turbo model looks very enticing.