Used 2000 Subaru Forester L Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Perfect Winter car
By Dustinson

2000 Subaru Forester L 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought a high powered rear-wheel drive car and needed something for winter. I hated the look of this car, but am glad I bought it. I drive through snow half way up the door panels with ease. I can't imagine going back to just a front-wheel drive car for winter.

AWD

Love this car
By subi!

2000 Subaru Forester L 4dr Wagon AWD

I have had this car for several years and I love it. It is the best car on snow, can tow a small trailer, and I get almost 30mpg! Sure it looks a little square, but I like the way it looks. It has been the perfect car for me and my dog to get to the mountains.

All wheel drive and great gas mileage. No mechanical problems if you take care of it.

I wish there were two cupholders in the front.

Love it!
By Garcia subaru

2000 Subaru Forester L 4dr Wagon AWD

I love this vehicle! Fun to drive, pulls 2000 lbs, very reliable, was not too expensive, great in snow. Nearly 180000 on it with no major problems. Have done routine maintainance, replaced the brakes, starter and clutch once. Had one part needing replacement with the catalytic converter (cost 3-400 dollars), needed to replace the tape player (replaced it with a CD/tape player) and that was it. Still running great and I hope to keep it for another 100,000 miles. Get 20-30 mpg on freeway (at 60-70 mph) and 27-27 in town. I am planning to buy another in the future and am hoping they can improve the gas mileage by then. (They keep increasing the engine horsepower which I do not feel it needs.)

All wheel drive, antilock brakes, comfortable front seats, ability to carry items in back, can pull 2000 lb utilty trailer.

Better gas mileage, better back seat and more and new safety features as they are available (I understand the last two have been done). I do not want more horsepower at the cost of poorer gas mileage.

This car is a continuous Headache
By starsmyles

2000 Subaru Forester L 4dr Wagon AWD

I purchased my Subaru Forester in the summer of 2003. I live in Maine and was looking for something safe and reliable since I need my car for my work. I was in love with the car when the dealership let me take the car home overnight for a test drive. It drove wonderfully! I don't believe I had any major issues with the car in the first year that I had it. I had oil changes done as recommended and took care of it. Also my bug deflector panel thing that came with the car flew off one day while I was going 55 mph. In the summer of 2005 though I started to have issues. The car would not go anywheres until I put it into reverse first and then into drive. Once in drive I had no issues.

Is good in tedious weather conditions.

Manufacturing of the vehicle. Issues noted above in the review. I agree with the poor placement of the cupholder-who wants warm soda or cold coffee depending on what your heater is set at.

After seven years of ownership
By bargain hunter

2000 Subaru Forester L 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought this vehicle new in January 2000. For seven years I never had any major problems with this vehicle other than a radiator replacement. In the seventh year everything went on it at once. CV boots, wheel alignment, worn out wheel bearing, engine cylinder gaskets, fuel filter. The vehicle only had 81,000 miles on it when this all happen.

AWD feature and fuel economy; that's it.

For the price they charge they can give you some items like heated seats, leather, remote control.