1999 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
Disappointed
By vubencne on 02/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Subaru Forester L 4dr Wagon AWD

After several car problems, reports said this car was the best! This car i junk. Since 10,000 miles I've endured brake problems (incessant squealing). At 40,000 the head gaskets blew, and left me stranded. Now, at 50,000 the wheel bearings went, and the car is back in the shop again. Not, to mention all the "quirky" problems along the way. Long story short, my Subaru Forester is an unreliable piece of junk, that I can't wait to get rid of! Oh yeah, the gas mileage sucks!

AXLE LEAKING WHAT IS THAT?
By apstoreca on 09/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Forester L 4dr Wagon AWD

service is good if you can get it in the bay. the cloth on the headrest keeps popping and subarau unwilling to fix it in a timely fashion or well.

My Review
By smithdc on 07/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Forester L 4dr Wagon AWD

Forester has been great. i have had no problems with this vehicle. I recommend it for small families (4 or under.) Having dealt with multiple dealerships, every one has been very friendly and helpful.

I love Subarus
By subarulover on 06/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Forester L 4dr Wagon AWD

The 99 Forester L is my 5th Subaru, but first new one. I love the room for taking my 3 girlfriends x-country skiing. The car has no problem getting up the mountains with a full load. It also gets around town with comfort and manueverability. My husband and I have taken it on many 300 to 600 mile trips through the mountains of the northwest and love the performance and comfort.

Reliability and Value
By gooddesign on 06/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Forester L 4dr Wagon AWD

Nice amount of space offsets abundance of plastic parts in the cabin. Plenty of nooks and crannies. Great value with all-wheel drive.

great car
By ocean1492 on 04/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Forester L 4dr Wagon AWD

I have had no difficulty or major problems with the car. The firstthing to go was a fuse within a few months of purchase. The second is a clogged rear windshield washer. I would definitely buy another one if some of my suggested improvements were made.

Not-so-great
By dvnguyen on 04/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Forester L 4dr Wagon AWD

Started to experience minor problems when the car reached 30,000 miles mark. The interior faded significantly, engine ran rough etc.... But the most annoying thing was the failure of the rear wheel bearing. Turned out this is the common problem for this model year. Subaru started to use Legacy bearing to correct the problem; however, it refused, thus far, to admit that it is a design flaw.

subaru success
By bogus on 03/12/02 20:38 PM (PST)

1999 Subaru Forester L 4dr Wagon AWD

this car has been trouble free and my wife loves it. we had one problem with the speedometer and it was replaced under waranty. this car is incredible in snow and on slippery roads