Used 1999 Subaru Forester L Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

1999 Subaru Forester

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Over 100K Miles - No Real Problems
By GLS127

1999 Subaru Forester L 4dr Wagon AWD

Very satisfied with my 99 Forester L. I have only had to do regular oil changes, new tires, a tune-up, and front brakes in 5+ years. Factory tires only lasted about 45K miles, but current Goodrich Long Trails have 60K with plenty of tread left. Subaru dealer added coolant conditioner earlier this year as part of a factory recall. Very fun to drive, I would definitely buy one again.

Favorite Features

Drives and handles great compared to most SUVs. Plenty of storage space for a small SUV.

Suggested Improvements

Needs a second cup holder up front. Needs a little more leg room in back seat.

reliable?
By bperk

1999 Subaru Forester L 4dr Wagon AWD

Although Subaru is known for reliablity the Forester may not be. My Forester had 2 sets of wheel bearings replaced in under 50000 miles, went through 2 sets of tires in the same time. The ABS system locked up causing the need to replace the brake pads. The coup was a leaking head gasket at 57000 miles. Thankfully just within warranty and in time to trade it. Thanks Subaru

Good Riddance
By Good riddance

1999 Subaru Forester L 4dr Wagon AWD

Traded in a Toyota for this model. Boy am I sorry. First service was after a brake recall and brakes never sounded the same since. Blew a head gasket at 60,000 miles then 10,000 miles later needed a full transmission replacement. Now, I'm suspected another head gasket problem. This shouldn't happen on a subaru ( I was told). Do you think I was just unlucky? I'm trading it in and cutting my losses- good riddance!!

Favorite Features

Internal storage. Fair amount of pickup for a four cyl.

Suggested Improvements

With my experience - a 100,000 warranty would be nice! Also, how about repositioning the cup holder - nothing like cold coffee and warm soda!!

Great Car
By Harry 15558649998+95

1999 Subaru Forester L 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought this car about 6 months ago and I have had only one problem and that was with a leak in my windsheild. I love this car I gets me to all the good lakes in the Wa area and it gets good gas milage for an SUV also.

Favorite Features

AWD overall look.

Suggested Improvements

darn stupid placement of the cup holder.

Overall , satisified
By mccorky

1999 Subaru Forester L 4dr Wagon AWD

Its a great car to have if you live where the weather turns bad in the winter. It handles great, but like any car, ice is ice and AWD does not stop you from sliding. I noticed a difference with snows. I did have a$400 engine repair at 37K, just after my warrenty went (egnition coil??) Other than that, it has run smooth.

Favorite Features

Hight of car. Not too high like many SUVs and a bit higher than a regular car so it makes getting in easy. Also low enough to ground for better roll- over safety

Suggested Improvements

Make more room for backseat riders.