1999 Subaru Forester L 5-Speed
By qwertyuiopasdfghj on
1999 Subaru Forester 4dr Wagon AWD
So far my only complaint about this car has been with the dealer. The window sticker said the car had a CD player and the "gauge pod" in it; I got neither, and took it home in the early evening (when I didn't realize what was missing). Other than the traditionally lousy Subaru dealer network, though, this is a great car. Though it has worse fuel economy than I expected/was accustomed to, everything else on the car is very well-thought-out and well-designed. I expect to have it for at least 200,000 miles (if the motor holds; I've heard the 2.5Ls are not anywhere near as reliable as the 1.8Ls in the EA81/82 series cars.)
Favorite Features
The height-adjustable seat, rear wiper/washer with integrated tank (shares fluid from the front washer), auto-off headlamps, tight turning radius and well-weighted steering. But my '87 GL-10 is tighter, has real 4WD, and a sunroof. Oh well.
Suggested Improvements
A power driver seat would be nice, sometimes the transmission doesn't want to go into first gear when the car is moving (lousy synchros), no light on the power window switches (should be moved farther back).