1999 Subaru Forester Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
Love my scooby!
By dirtyru on 02/25/11 08:15 AM (PST)

1999 Subaru Forester Wagon S 4dr Wagon AWD

This car is a blast to drive. Handles like a true rally car in the curves! With the AWD, it handles exceptionally well off road. I honestly believe that this car handles/ drives even smoother in the rain! 154,000 miles and still counting! I have the S model, which on here says it's a manual, but i do infact have the crafty automatic. The leather interior has held up greatly & the seat warmers come in handy on those brisk mornings. Getting rid of my car & having this vehicle has truely inspired me to make it a point to get out of the office & enjoy the outdoors. It's the perfect utility vehicle that also doubles as an economical, every day driver. I hope to keep this for a looong time!

Ugly or not, she's a trooper!
By Jim on 07/28/10 10:27 AM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Forester Wagon S 4dr Wagon AWD

I've owned the vehicle since it was new. I bought the car in NC and brought it to my home in Minnesota. what an excellent choice! I've had the same battery crank in sub-zero temps for 11 years! However, when it does break down, you will cry. Head gaskets blew at 70K and the repairs cost me $2200. After that, no problems. Fun to drive and an Excellent teen car!

Excellent '99 Forester Keeps on Humming
By TNC2005 on 01/03/07 09:41 AM (PST)

1999 Subaru Forester Wagon S 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought this car as a family car when moving up north to snow country between the Catskills and Adirondacks. Has always performed to expectations. With the right tires -- the original Yoko Geolanders, or the replacement Goodyear Triple Treads -- it grips exceptionally well, handles nimbly, accelerates smoothly and rapidly. My mechanics say it's got the bones to reach over 300,000 miles. So far, w/ 119K miles, it's on the 4th set of tires and it's only needed regularly scheduled maintenance. Still looks and drives like a new car. Unless some dealer comes out with a similar SUV wagon that gets >33 MPG, this car will be maintained and driven as long as possible -- hopefully 14 more years.

High Miles - a real workhorse
By Chuck on 12/20/06 15:24 PM (PST)

1999 Subaru Forester Wagon S 4dr Wagon AWD

I put on 324,000 miles on my '99 Forester and finally have a problem with the transmission. Did a valve job about 290,000 miles. Replacement engines were hard to find. Had some more minor problems along the way but taken care of okay. I would like to replace the transmission but they may also not be easy to find or be reasonable enough.

Excellent car
By Mike1983 on 02/27/06 08:30 AM (PST)

1999 Subaru Forester Wagon S 4dr Wagon AWD

The Forester is a very well built car. It's very well designed, inside and out. It runs very smoothly and quietly even with 100k+ miles. Very good sound reduction inside the vehicle. Handles great, feels very solid. Neat gadgets like heated outside mirrors, windshield wipers, and rear quarter windows.

I Miss My Forester
By alycatz77 on 12/21/05 13:16 PM (PST)

1999 Subaru Forester Wagon S 4dr Wagon AWD

This was a great investment. Had only a few repairs in two and a half years (replaced alternator, brakes and wheel bearings) and the car had 82,000 miles when I lost it. It was fun to drive for a four cylinder, a smooth ride, and great on frozen Indiana roads! This car saved my life in a head on collision with a tractor trailer at 105 mph total impact speed. I will miss my car and recommend it highly to anyone who wants a safe and reliable vehicle!

Not quite what I expected
By c on 11/19/05 15:26 PM (PST)

1999 Subaru Forester Wagon S 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought car new. Every year at inspection, have to have clamps for exhaust system tacked to get rid of rattling. Was told last year that rotors will need replaced shortly. Major problem - manual transmission would not stay in 5th gear on highway at 48k miles. Took to Subaru dealer, then it was stuck in 1st gear! 3 rebuilds to fix transmission; in shop for a month! Check engine light came on at 63k, turned out to be bad sensor, lucky that it was under warranty or would have cost $600. Has been a great vehicle to haul stuff when moving, camping, mountain biking. Fun to drive the manual with AWD in winter conditions.

1999 Forester S
By FrankS on 08/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Forester Wagon S 4dr Wagon AWD

I have been very satisfied. It has done what I expected it to do. Goes in snow. Minor(to me) repairs: LR wheel bearing, front struts. 60,000-mile belt replacement is a blow.

Love my 99 Forester S
By MaineBob on 03/14/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Subaru Forester Wagon S 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought mine off the dealer lot the day after I moved to Maine. It has been humming along now for nearly 5 years with no repairs of any significance whatsoever and 126,000 miles. A few minor annoyances -- the led for the Cruise Control switch went out 2 years ago and I was told the entire switch needed replacing (for about $60). Also, the led for the clock near the ceiling, above the rear view mirror also went out this year. Here in Maine, I am fearless. I have never had the slightest problem navigating in heavy snow, ice, slush, and rain.

Don't believe the hype
By nemo nullus on 02/03/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Subaru Forester Wagon S 4dr Wagon AWD

After relying on ratings such as Consumer Reports, I stretched my budget to buy my Forester S. What a mistake! Between 20,000 and 60,000 miles, I've had to replace the brakes, a head gasket leak, and now the manual transmission--all out of warranty. Gas mileage has been quite poor--less than 20 highway. This is undoubtedly the one of the most overrated cars on the market. The design concept is great, but with such poor reliability, what difference does that make? Don't waste your money and time.