1999 Subaru Forester Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
LOVE my Subaru!!
By Pastmaster on 06/11/07 16:01 PM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Forester Wagon 4dr Wagon AWD

The Forester has given me no trouble. Beyond oil changes and regular maintenance, I have had a broken rear window (kids and rocks) and one gasket.

Is the engine problem fixed?
By Renee on 02/13/06 21:31 PM (PST)

1999 Subaru Forester Wagon 4dr Wagon AWD

I replaced the head gaskets @ 70k, they started seeping again @100k. Subaru sent out a letter to all owners about the seeping head gaskets and to fix it, you have to add a additive to your antifreeze every time you flush your radiator. This seeping problem is starting to affect my pistons. I've replaced everything around the engine. I have 150k on it now, and with this piston problem, I'm not sure if I should buy another Subaru. I love everything else about it, but am concerned about sinking a ton of money into a new one, as I have with this one. I've replaced a couple of wheel bearings, both axles, all 4 struts & mounts, radiator, heater blower & the air sensor twice.

Wheel bearings forever
By jimbo54 on 11/16/04 10:55 AM (PST)

1999 Subaru Forester Wagon 4dr Wagon AWD

Very pleased with design/concept of vehicle, however have had rear wheel bearings replaced 8 times from 25k thru 166k; have fought Subaru tooth & nail to get them to acknowledge that there might be a design problem; debating buying another Subaru product or switching to Rav 4 in near future (200k)