Used 1999 Subaru Forester Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

1999 Subaru Forester Wagon

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

2nd Subaru
By coyoteboy

1999 Subaru Forester Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

This was second Subaru, bought 4yrs ago with 85k now has 150k on it. Dependable car great in Ct. snow storms. Headgaskets, timing belts at 104k. for $1500..Now at 150k, clutch catalytic converter, and filler pipe to gas tank at $2000 for all. No one talks about the filler tube replacement they are plagued with, all Subarus. Our 1999 legacy Gt, My wife loved it, replaced the filler tube at 110k. She was hit head on, not a scratch. Replaced it with 98 Legacy Gt, Puuu, brakes completely went. Was due for emissions engine light came on, Filler tube. 3 out 3 no way. Last Subaru, shame , Forester is our last Subaru but is expensive to repair. Might as well own a Volvo. Its a Japanes Volvo.

Favorite Features

Its starts all the time and is very safe, especially in the cold snowy winter of New England.

Suggested Improvements

Head gaskets and fuel filler tubes. Better gas mileage.

Love my scooby!
By dirtyru

1999 Subaru Forester Wagon S 4dr Wagon AWD

This car is a blast to drive. Handles like a true rally car in the curves! With the AWD, it handles exceptionally well off road. I honestly believe that this car handles/ drives even smoother in the rain! 154,000 miles and still counting! I have the S model, which on here says it's a manual, but i do infact have the crafty automatic. The leather interior has held up greatly & the seat warmers come in handy on those brisk mornings. Getting rid of my car & having this vehicle has truely inspired me to make it a point to get out of the office & enjoy the outdoors. It's the perfect utility vehicle that also doubles as an economical, every day driver. I hope to keep this for a looong time!

Favorite Features

Handling capabilities, the fact that all foresters come standard with roof racks, fog lamps (with grill guards on them), and AWD is the ultimate setup you can get on a stock forester. How many other companies offer that on their base models? I've added a roof basket & hella off road lights to dress it up & make it even more capable. The 16" rims & bull bar on the front are nice as well. Tons of head room

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders! Only one cup holder in the front and 2 in the back. Also, the plastic skid plate underneathe should be replaced with a nice aluminum one that won't rip off first chance. Although mine made it 10yrs before i replaced it. ;) Rear leg room is not suitable for adults - fyi. Kids are fine.

Ugly or not, she's a trooper!
By Jim

1999 Subaru Forester Wagon S 4dr Wagon AWD

I've owned the vehicle since it was new. I bought the car in NC and brought it to my home in Minnesota. what an excellent choice! I've had the same battery crank in sub-zero temps for 11 years! However, when it does break down, you will cry. Head gaskets blew at 70K and the repairs cost me $2200. After that, no problems. Fun to drive and an Excellent teen car!

Favorite Features

AWD, heated seats, easy to access controls

Suggested Improvements

Better audio system, bigger back seats!

Over rated junk
By Firefly

1999 Subaru Forester Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought the vehicle new and at 70k miles the head gasket starts leaking just like my previous 1989 Loyale wagon did. Nice size car, my wife bought it over my objections because she wanted AWD. Replaced head gaskets twice and I know about the additive. Leaks tranny fluid. If you need something to squat on you garage floor every night this is the vehicle for you. I have 131K on it and if I could afford to get rid of it, it would be gone. So much for Japanese quality. Marginal gas mileage (20mpg) for such a small vehicle. Most expensive dealers to get anything fixed, shameful.

Favorite Features

Put snow tires on it and it is a veritable snowmobile

Suggested Improvements

C'mon solve the head gasket issue! Half the electronic stuff, cruise, overhead display etc. doesn't work and I'm not paying the ridiculous prices Subaru dealers charge to fix simple things like this.

240K Great car
By John

1999 Subaru Forester Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought ours used with 90k. After normal maintenance (Battery, 1 CV joint, brakes) and another 140K it is at it's end. Engine seal leak, transmission is slipping. Has been a great car for hauling 4 dogs to park, great in the snow and rain.

Favorite Features

AWD, great reliability

Suggested Improvements

Shield the front passenger CV boot better from the heat of exhaust. This the 1st one to fail on every Subaru.