1999 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
2nd Subaru
By coyoteboy on 07/12/11 13:53 PM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Forester L 4dr Wagon AWD

This was second Subaru, bought 4yrs ago with 85k now has 150k on it. Dependable car great in Ct. snow storms. Headgaskets, timing belts at 104k. for $1500..Now at 150k, clutch catalytic converter, and filler pipe to gas tank at $2000 for all. No one talks about the filler tube replacement they are plagued with, all Subarus. Our 1999 legacy Gt, My wife loved it, replaced the filler tube at 110k. She was hit head on, not a scratch. Replaced it with 98 Legacy Gt, Puuu, brakes completely went. Was due for emissions engine light came on, Filler tube. 3 out 3 no way. Last Subaru, shame , Forester is our last Subaru but is expensive to repair. Might as well own a Volvo. Its a Japanes Volvo.

Over rated junk
By Firefly on 02/11/10 08:33 AM (PST)

1999 Subaru Forester L 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought the vehicle new and at 70k miles the head gasket starts leaking just like my previous 1989 Loyale wagon did. Nice size car, my wife bought it over my objections because she wanted AWD. Replaced head gaskets twice and I know about the additive. Leaks tranny fluid. If you need something to squat on you garage floor every night this is the vehicle for you. I have 131K on it and if I could afford to get rid of it, it would be gone. So much for Japanese quality. Marginal gas mileage (20mpg) for such a small vehicle. Most expensive dealers to get anything fixed, shameful.

240K Great car
By John on 12/05/09 04:38 AM (PST)

1999 Subaru Forester L 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought ours used with 90k. After normal maintenance (Battery, 1 CV joint, brakes) and another 140K it is at it's end. Engine seal leak, transmission is slipping. Has been a great car for hauling 4 dogs to park, great in the snow and rain.

Subaru For Life
By GavinJLang on 03/06/09 21:05 PM (PST)

1999 Subaru Forester L 4dr Wagon AWD

This is one of the best cars I've ever owned. That's saying a lot considering I've owned over 60 cars. No, it's no race car... the pick-up is moderate... BUT the capabilities, reliability, and overall maintenance cost have been lower than anything I've owned in the past. Perfect for running around town or getting to that hard to reach off road destination. The only thing lacking in my model is 4 high and low for better off-road capabilities, but it definitely works well. Tires make a BIG difference in it's handling and capabilities, and since there are so many aftermarket pieces available that's hardly an issue.

Darn wheel bearings
By BillMopar on 10/07/08 15:05 PM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Forester L 4dr Wagon AWD

I love the car, had it since 1999, but I have replaced the wheel bearings six times now. Sometime the car will not engage into drive from park. That normally happens every 30 thousand miles. How I correct this problem is by changing trans. fluid and filter.

Money's Worth and Then Some
By Ronnie on 11/23/07 09:30 AM (PST)

1999 Subaru Forester L 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought this car new and still own it after almost 9 years. This car now has over 100k miles and the only maintenance I have ever done is oil changes and replaced the front brake pads at 98,000 miles. That is correct the front originial brake pads lasted until 98k miles and the back pads still have 1/2 wear left so they have never been replaced. The AWD works great and I will buy another Subaru when and if this one ever wears out. If you need a 4 wheel drive vehicle then I don't think you can beat a Subaru. I only wish they made pick up trucks.

LOVE my Forester!
By problemcat13 on 08/10/06 09:38 AM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Forester L 4dr Wagon AWD

I LOVE my Forester! I put 15k miles a year on it, and I drive it hard! 5 speed and the engine pulls great. I had one problem, the headgasket, but it was covered under the service bulletin/warranty to 100k. I currently have 112k miles and this car is great. I really enjoy it. Reliable, fun, but maybe a little small for a family of four. Stereo/tape was lousy, I replaced it with an OEM 6-CD changer from a Subaru WRX for $100. MPG: if I drive hard (wide open throttle) I get 21.4, if I set cruise at the speed limit, 28.4. AWD uses more gas but is a blast to drive spirited! We miss our other Subaru (95 Legacy) and plan to purchase another when we can. I'm so glad I got this vehicle.

Buy something else
By UGGGHHH on 11/05/05 17:26 PM (PST)

1999 Subaru Forester L 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought this car used in '01, and had nothing but problems ever since. 2 sensor replacements, a transmission replacement (2 if you count that the first replacement put in didn't work), an engine seal replacement, 2 wheel bearing replacements (same wheel, and I think it's going again), short in power door locks that make them unusable, cruise and horn stopped working, CD player only works when it wants to, and there is a constant squeak when driving that no one can find the source of. I had good luck with a previous Subaru, but am looking to replace this one and will probably not be getting another Subaru again.

Great car, what's up with the engine?
By Clint on 08/21/05 17:55 PM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Forester L 4dr Wagon AWD

I love my Forester. I searched far and wide ending on eBay for one with the right price and look, but the engine was a disaster just waiting to occur. I could hear some kind of rod knock but all the dealerships said it could run for another 100K. 10K later the car was at 115K and it cost $4400 to get a new engine. Now it's in good shape. It still only gets 20mpg compared to 27 by rating, but all the girls love it!

1999 Subaru
By ed on 01/22/05 10:29 AM (PST)

1999 Subaru Forester L 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought this as second forester for our family with teenagers starting to drive. Excellent reliability, not tippy like other SUVís. Only complaint is lack of attractive exterior appearance. Doesnít bother me. About 20mpg city/25 highway with automatic transmission. Looking to get another used forester as my other teens start driving.