1999 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
2nd Subaru
By coyoteboy on 07/12/11 13:53 PM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Forester L 4dr Wagon AWD

This was second Subaru, bought 4yrs ago with 85k now has 150k on it. Dependable car great in Ct. snow storms. Headgaskets, timing belts at 104k. for $1500..Now at 150k, clutch catalytic converter, and filler pipe to gas tank at $2000 for all. No one talks about the filler tube replacement they are plagued with, all Subarus. Our 1999 legacy Gt, My wife loved it, replaced the filler tube at 110k. She was hit head on, not a scratch. Replaced it with 98 Legacy Gt, Puuu, brakes completely went. Was due for emissions engine light came on, Filler tube. 3 out 3 no way. Last Subaru, shame , Forester is our last Subaru but is expensive to repair. Might as well own a Volvo. Its a Japanes Volvo.

Love my scooby!
By dirtyru on 02/25/11 08:15 AM (PST)

1999 Subaru Forester S 4dr Wagon AWD

This car is a blast to drive. Handles like a true rally car in the curves! With the AWD, it handles exceptionally well off road. I honestly believe that this car handles/ drives even smoother in the rain! 154,000 miles and still counting! I have the S model, which on here says it's a manual, but i do infact have the crafty automatic. The leather interior has held up greatly & the seat warmers come in handy on those brisk mornings. Getting rid of my car & having this vehicle has truely inspired me to make it a point to get out of the office & enjoy the outdoors. It's the perfect utility vehicle that also doubles as an economical, every day driver. I hope to keep this for a looong time!

Ugly or not, she's a trooper!
By Jim on 07/28/10 10:27 AM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Forester S 4dr Wagon AWD

I've owned the vehicle since it was new. I bought the car in NC and brought it to my home in Minnesota. what an excellent choice! I've had the same battery crank in sub-zero temps for 11 years! However, when it does break down, you will cry. Head gaskets blew at 70K and the repairs cost me $2200. After that, no problems. Fun to drive and an Excellent teen car!

Over rated junk
By Firefly on 02/11/10 08:33 AM (PST)

1999 Subaru Forester L 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought the vehicle new and at 70k miles the head gasket starts leaking just like my previous 1989 Loyale wagon did. Nice size car, my wife bought it over my objections because she wanted AWD. Replaced head gaskets twice and I know about the additive. Leaks tranny fluid. If you need something to squat on you garage floor every night this is the vehicle for you. I have 131K on it and if I could afford to get rid of it, it would be gone. So much for Japanese quality. Marginal gas mileage (20mpg) for such a small vehicle. Most expensive dealers to get anything fixed, shameful.

240K Great car
By John on 12/05/09 04:38 AM (PST)

1999 Subaru Forester L 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought ours used with 90k. After normal maintenance (Battery, 1 CV joint, brakes) and another 140K it is at it's end. Engine seal leak, transmission is slipping. Has been a great car for hauling 4 dogs to park, great in the snow and rain.

Subaru For Life
By GavinJLang on 03/06/09 21:05 PM (PST)

1999 Subaru Forester L 4dr Wagon AWD

This is one of the best cars I've ever owned. That's saying a lot considering I've owned over 60 cars. No, it's no race car... the pick-up is moderate... BUT the capabilities, reliability, and overall maintenance cost have been lower than anything I've owned in the past. Perfect for running around town or getting to that hard to reach off road destination. The only thing lacking in my model is 4 high and low for better off-road capabilities, but it definitely works well. Tires make a BIG difference in it's handling and capabilities, and since there are so many aftermarket pieces available that's hardly an issue.

Darn wheel bearings
By BillMopar on 10/07/08 15:05 PM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Forester L 4dr Wagon AWD

I love the car, had it since 1999, but I have replaced the wheel bearings six times now. Sometime the car will not engage into drive from park. That normally happens every 30 thousand miles. How I correct this problem is by changing trans. fluid and filter.

Money's Worth and Then Some
By Ronnie on 11/23/07 09:30 AM (PST)

1999 Subaru Forester L 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought this car new and still own it after almost 9 years. This car now has over 100k miles and the only maintenance I have ever done is oil changes and replaced the front brake pads at 98,000 miles. That is correct the front originial brake pads lasted until 98k miles and the back pads still have 1/2 wear left so they have never been replaced. The AWD works great and I will buy another Subaru when and if this one ever wears out. If you need a 4 wheel drive vehicle then I don't think you can beat a Subaru. I only wish they made pick up trucks.

LOVE my Subaru!!
By Pastmaster on 06/11/07 16:01 PM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Forester 4dr Wagon AWD

The Forester has given me no trouble. Beyond oil changes and regular maintenance, I have had a broken rear window (kids and rocks) and one gasket.

Excellent '99 Forester Keeps on Humming
By TNC2005 on 01/03/07 09:41 AM (PST)

1999 Subaru Forester S 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought this car as a family car when moving up north to snow country between the Catskills and Adirondacks. Has always performed to expectations. With the right tires -- the original Yoko Geolanders, or the replacement Goodyear Triple Treads -- it grips exceptionally well, handles nimbly, accelerates smoothly and rapidly. My mechanics say it's got the bones to reach over 300,000 miles. So far, w/ 119K miles, it's on the 4th set of tires and it's only needed regularly scheduled maintenance. Still looks and drives like a new car. Unless some dealer comes out with a similar SUV wagon that gets >33 MPG, this car will be maintained and driven as long as possible -- hopefully 14 more years.

1 2 3 4 5 next »