What to call an 11 year old car?
By Realist on
1998 Subaru Forester 4dr Wagon AWD
Well here we are...11 years 180k miles and still going. I figure I paid $20100 for the car, put an average on 18k miles on per year, spend about 2k per year in repairs/maint. So what? Should I trade it in and get a car payment. What is $200 per mo going to buy me... a compact? I have one of those and it can't take a curb, a mud bath, a snow bank, etc. Over time my Suby pulled a Jeep, a Lexus, a Land Rover and about 3 other cars out of ditches. It may be the way I drive or it could be this car (please note: towing is only about 1800 lbs... all the stuck vehicles had to help some). That's it. It is a fair car/truck/wagon/compact/suv/whatever for the price. I would consider buying another.
Favorite Features
Head room. No blind spots. Ground clearance. Towing. Looks. AWD. Rich people respect the car. People who repair cars want to buy it from me. Cops ignore me. 180k miles. Son calls it "Pops' car"!
Suggested Improvements
Clock + ignition coil broke. Gasket leaked. CV boot breaks every 2 years (it's rubber). Better sound system needed No cruise offered... needed. Driving in the city is easy but in the years I put 30k on the car I had to go in for repairs on my ankle because the gas/brake position is uncomfortable