1998 Subaru Forester
By smokeymedic81 on
1998 Subaru Forester L 4dr Wagon AWD
I bought this car uses so I cant say what the previous owner put it through. It had only 110,000 miles on it when I purchased it 6 months ago. Had my mechanic do a full inspection on it before I bought it. was able to drive it for 3 months, put a whole 3000 miles on it then the head gasket blew. The car is junk now because the cost to replace the head gasket is outragous. Will never buy a subaru again.
Favorite Features
The All Wheel Drive
Suggested Improvements
Nothing, Subaru took care of the head gasket problem in later models I hear.
By forester98
on 01/06/12 02:27 AM (PST)

Sorry to disappoint but your both right, Problems you get after only 100,000 miles with head gaskets are USUALLY due to minor errors in the manufacturing of the engine or the head gasket itself. Unless however the owner before you was a wreckless driver and put the engine through H*** everyday driving to work, that is about the only reason, other than the number of hours the engine has on it, that factors into head gaskets failing.

By subie6
on 08/18/11 07:30 AM (PDT)

You will need to replace a head gasket on every car you buy if you keep it long enough. Your judgement on this car is not valid. There are no set times on when gaskets go. You know after the fact. I am waiting for it to go on my impala at 125k right now. I won't blame the car for it though.

By fatguy2
on 04/30/12 15:21 PM (PDT)

You might want to find another mechanic. A compression check would have shown ,at least, that a problem existed. That doesn't take long to do and should be a no brainer for a car with mileage over 100,000