Don't miss the Jeeps at all
By Subielvr on
1998 Subaru Forester L 4dr Wagon AWD
I bought my Forester just over two years ago and it's one of the, if not the, best purchases that I've ever made. Even with the recommendations of friends who own Subies I was nervous about buying a car who's odometer had just passed over the 100,00 mile mark. It was much ado about nothing as in the last forty thousand miles the only expenses (aside from routine maintenance) I've had are; replacing a cracked coil, new tires (would be necessary on any car), one rear wheel bearing, and the relatively expensive replacement of the timing belt which is really part of routine maintenance anyhow. Gas mileage is about 25 mpg around home and 30 using cruise control when traveling. I love this car!
Favorite Features
All wheel drive and ABS brakes. I can lay a full size hard rifle case crosswise behind the rear wheel wells. The cruise control works easily without taking my hands off of the wheel. Lots of cubbyholes for small items. Cute and functional body styling like a VW bug or CJ Jeep. Lots of lights inside.
Suggested Improvements
It needs some sort of gutter or deflector to keep rain from pouring in on people if the windows are cracked open even a tiny bit. Move the cup holder away from where it blocks the heater controls. Power mirrors. Fog lights which work without the low beams being on. Can't think of much else.