Used 1998 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Forester, the most sensible and SAFE SUV
By Gwyneira

1998 Subaru Forester L 4dr Wagon AWD

I have driven my Forester back and forth across the U.S. numerous times and moved house in it four times. It has deceptively enormous cargo capacity and can carry heavy loads with no problem. It also gets great mileage (28hwy/22city) considering its class. Although it is classified as an SUV, it drives, handles, and performs like a small station wagon, though it is a larger car than that. It can muscle through snow and mud, but the center of gravity is low, so it is much safer than other vehicles in its class, such as the Toyota RAV4 or the Honda CR-V. I cannot say enough good things about this car. It is one of the safest cars on the road and is fun to drive. I love my Forester.

well designed car with issues
By michael

1998 Subaru Forester L 4dr Wagon AWD

The major systems were above average in quality and reliability. My problem with the car was the electrical system. Door-open lights wouldn't turn off until the car was started. Remote locking malfunctioned. A lot of items stopped working after several years: radio, lighter, cassette, clock, rear window defroster. Checked fuses; mechanic said too expensive to trace problem. Average city/hwy. combined gas mileage (after a full tune-up) was only about 20-21 mpg. Trunk latch started to fail. Had same problem with our '92 Legacy wagon.

A clock separate from the clock in radio display like most other cars. It's a shame neither worked.

Gas mileage, wind noise, feature/accessory reliability.

Subaru
By Beth

1998 Subaru Forester L 4dr Wagon AWD

I'm a 17 year old girl [what do I know about cars, right?] and I drive a 1998 Subaru Forester. The car is easy to drive for a new driver, gets pretty good gas mileage, and is the right size so that it's not too big and awkward but also not stiflingly small. However, I live in New England and the absolute best thing about this car is its handling in the snow. I'm not a good driver and the bad weather in Mass. makes me nervous, but I've never had trouble getting up a hill or driving on slippery roads. My driveway is very steep and both my parents have trouble getting up it in their midsize sedans. Also, this car has almost 150,000 on it and is still running great and has never broken down.

All wheel drive.

none

car
By sickwitit

1998 Subaru Forester L 4dr Wagon AWD

fun to drive. handles good stuff like that

Don't waste your money
By jackie w

1998 Subaru Forester S 4dr Wagon AWD

Never waste your money on a Subaru! After the 60,000 warranty went up we had transmission failure twice!!! The dealer never could seem to fix our car and we had difficulty finding anyone to work on Subaru's and those who do have said they have had problems and one mechanic even said they were complete junk. Also the Forrester was not as good in the snow as we anticipated. Don't waste your money. Go with a Toyota or Honda!

heated seats

Transmissions that do not require replacement or rebuilding at 6o,100 miles! More legroom in backseat More