Used 1998 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

1998 Subaru Forester

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

A Disappointment
By A Disappointment

1998 Subaru Forester L 4dr Wagon AWD

I'm a believer of the safety features after hitting a deer with the Forester at 65 mph on the freeway. I also love the way the Forester handles. But there were a few bugs that I wouldn't have expected given that the Legacy chassis had been out a while. First, the wheel bearings went out at 20K on two wheels. Then the oil seals went at 70K and 140K (just like our 95 Legacy). The head gasket went out at 140K When I complained about a manufacturer defect at 70K because of similar problems with our Legacy, Customer Service said it was coincidence and wouldn't negotiate a better rate on repairs, stating the warranty went out at 60K. If you buy a Subie, you better extend the warranty!

Suggested Improvements

Fix the manufacturer defect on the seals and gaskets.

1998 Subaru Forester S AWD
By T-Bob

1998 Subaru Forester S 4dr Wagon AWD

This has been the best car we have ever owned. We have taken it everywhere - offroad, on beach, long trips, and everyday commutes, and it has never had a problem.

Favorite Features

AWD - simply amazing - watching other SUV's sink in the sand on Ocracoke Island beach while I plowed on through was great. Also fantastic in the snow. The heated seats are also great.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders are a poor design. Factory stereo not great. A second 12V power source in the front would be appreciated.

Not what I expected from Subaru
By Albertlock

1998 Subaru Forester L 4dr Wagon AWD

Apparently, Subaru needed to wait a bit longer before turning out the Forester. This was the first year they made them, and the bugs are still present. No way to fix a failing in the AWD; the wheels intermittently lock at low speeds (this was also a problem on the Legacy wagon) - even Sub experts can't fix it. Many other mechanical failings that disrupted trips. I've heard subsequent years are much improved and really wish I'd known more up front, since I've been very happy with past Subarus I've owned.

Favorite Features

Interior room & features made this one of our favorite vehicles for functional use. We liked the rubber bumper on the L model so scratches were well hidden.

Suggested Improvements

Seats are uncomfortable for long trips, and a rubberized back of the rear seats for cargo hauling would be helpful. Mechancial issues were the main reason why we canned the car -- spent on average $500/month in maintenance over the final year of owning the car.

1998 Subaru Forester
By ml secrest

1998 Subaru Forester S 4dr Wagon AWD

In 1998 I was looking for something safe, reliable, small, but still enough room for all my stuff. The Forester has met all my expectations. The only problem was keeping the front end in line. Investing in a good set of tires and being careful not to run into curbs has solved the problem.

Favorite Features

The Forester just plain looks good. Everything I need fits in it. Small enough to park anywhere. Enough power to drive interstate highways. The 4 wheel drive and low center of gravity keeps the car on the road.

Suggested Improvements

The seats are hard.

Suburban workhorse
By BrianT

1998 Subaru Forester L 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought my Forester in college, and have put nearly 100,000 miles on it with few problems. Only recently (at 130,000 miles) have I had to have any major work done: new clutch and tranny. The AWD system works great in snow, lots of cargo room in back, and good clearance for offroad. It also rides more like a car as opposed to the Honda SUV's.

Favorite Features

Tons of headroom in the front seats, good for people over 6' tall. Good traction in rain & snow, handles lots of cargo. Rear wiper is very handy.

Suggested Improvements

Could definitely use more legroom in the back seats. Only one cupholder on the dashboard and it blocks the climate controls.