1998 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
Only Forester for me
By Mav on 05/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Forester L 4dr Wagon AWD

This is the best car I have ever driven. Excellent built quality, only major problem was with the rear wheel bearing. Routine maintenance is the only thing this car needs. I will always have a Subaru Forester in my driveway. I love driving this car!!

1998 FORESTER S
By suejane on 03/31/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Subaru Forester S 4dr Wagon AWD

many small problems from clocks going out, gas gauge not working properly, temperature gauge not working and unable to locate problem, numerous oil leaks. will be purchasing new car; definitely not a FOrester!

A great compromise
By TallahasseePete on 03/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Subaru Forester L 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought this car to replace a Bronco II. It was great in Buffalo snow, on the interstates, and in the Adirondack woods. Seriously sorry to trade it, but we need a pickup truck and can't justify two vehicles.

Love - Hate IT
By Unhappy_BE on 03/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Subaru Forester S 4dr Wagon AWD

I do like my 98 Forester (114k miles) except for the six (6) rear wheel bearings that have failed, the cam shaft seal, and the head gasket replaced. For a quailty car, I've spend alot of time and money fixing the car to keep it on the road. Great car, now if only they could improve the quaility. For the first time in my life (after driving 100,000s of miles) I had to have my car towed to the shop.

Liked car
By kusumanja on 02/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Subaru Forester L 4dr Wagon AWD

Over all the car was good. We had issues with the wheel bearings making noise. After about 92,000 miles the transmission started shifting funny on occasion. We really liked the AWD very much and the ABS worked well. The clock above the center console and the radio display started to intermittently not work. The cruse control indicator light stopped working. Auburn Subaru sold us this car when it had been wrecked without telling us so it never did drive down the road straight.

Great LITTLE SUV
By RoadRunner47 on 02/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Subaru Forester S 4dr Wagon AWD

AWD is great. A fun/utilitarian car for my 5'6" wife. Extra weight helps on long trips. I'm glad I bought the upgraded "S" model versus "L". Leather interior is nice but small. Cupholders awkward. Yokohama tires were subpar--a lot of noise and picked up several nails. Electrical connector for air conditioner came apart several times. Speakers sound tinny. Good gas mileage, but would prefer V6 for more power and weight.

SUBARU = QUALITY
By lmhunter on 02/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Subaru Forester S 4dr Wagon AWD

Subarus always start, hold to the road, never need repair. Parking lot where I worlk is full of them. Everyone is pleased.

This car rocks
By kinkar on 01/17/03 00:00 AM (PST)

Our "old" faithful!

Drive it in the Snow & you'll buy it...
By lynn on 01/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Subaru Forester L 4dr Wagon AWD

We bought our 98 Subaru Forester and love it so much we're planning on buying a 2003 model to replace a sedan. Living in Buffalo, NY the All Wheel Drive is a feature I can't believe I ever lived without. While other cars get stuck in the snow, I am able to get across town without a problem. Everytime someone asks us how we like our car, we tell them we love it and my husband always throws in "take it for test drive in the snow and you'll buy it". It also satisfies a need of having a car and a truck all in one which is great since my husband makes many trips to Home Depot.

Best car I owned
By AndrewK on 11/21/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Subaru Forester L 4dr Wagon AWD

Took this Forester cross-country. It had 59000 miles at the start of the trip. It performed great, gasmilage was 21.5 average. We had no problem whatsoever and after the trip it is used on a daily basis without any problems. It has 90000 miles on it now and it keeps going strong! With regular maintenance we will get many years of good service, I'm sure.