Used 1998 Subaru Forester Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Some good but wheel bearings a killer!!!
By s cristaldi

1998 Subaru Forester 4dr Wagon AWD

The car was purchased new. Has good features like paint/body quality. However have needed to replace wheel bearings almost every year. This is a 350 to 400 expense. Every year! Subaru has refused to take responsibility for this obvious engineering defect. So, be very careful purchasing a Subaru they will not back their products. Will never buy another Subaru. Too afraid of excessive costs.

Am impressed with exterior quality and paint quality. No rust yet!

When they make an obvious mistake with a defect they should take responsibility! Interior could be improved. Should also monitor dealership better. Bad dealer, bad purchase!

UGGGH
By Bill

1998 Subaru Forester 4dr Wagon AWD

NOthing but problems with this one. Its to bad because I loved the (260,000 miles) outback I had previously. The forrester has been a nightmare. Wheel bearings, every seal the thing has. Now the head gasket. I will be giving up on this one.

Driving in the snow.

Dont buy one.

I wish it didn't break down so often
By vande32

1998 Subaru Forester 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought this car used while in graduate school because I couldn't afford to have a car payment. I should have bought a new car instead. I have spent nearly $4000 fixing it in the last two years because at 80,000 and 100,000 miles, every sensor had to be replaced. I have also had to put in a new clutch and a master cylinder. The engine light will go on and when I take it to the dealer or a mechanic, they tell me that the engine has missed but that they can't find a reason. While the car gets 28 mpg for me, drives great in the snow, and is nice for hauling my dogs and groceries, I will never buy a Subaru again after this experience.

I have a dog cage in mine. That is really nice. It also handles well in snow and ice.

Just make the whole thing more reliable and make it so that people can actually fix it. Old Subarus could run for 300,000 miles. I will be lucky to get 125K out of mine.

• SUV