1998 Subaru Forester S Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

1998 Forester Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Sort Reviews by

Nice Reliable Vehicle
By John

1998 Subaru Forester S 4dr Wagon AWD

Great car for snow conditions. Take it skiing and never have had a problem with handling or starting in below zero weather. Air conditioning and heating are fast and efficient. My only major complaint is the poor comfort of the seats. My bottom hurts during a long trip. The vehicle is reliable.

Favorite Features

AWD, cold and fast a/c in summer. Fast heat in winter.

Suggested Improvements

Make the seating comfortable.

Don't waste your money
By jackie w

1998 Subaru Forester S 4dr Wagon AWD

Never waste your money on a Subaru! After the 60,000 warranty went up we had transmission failure twice!!! The dealer never could seem to fix our car and we had difficulty finding anyone to work on Subaru's and those who do have said they have had problems and one mechanic even said they were complete junk. Also the Forrester was not as good in the snow as we anticipated. Don't waste your money. Go with a Toyota or Honda!

Favorite Features

heated seats

Suggested Improvements

Transmissions that do not require replacement or rebuilding at 6o,100 miles! More legroom in backseat More

Fisherman's Dream
By kschumac

1998 Subaru Forester S 4dr Wagon AWD

When I first visited our local Subaru dealer, the salesman told me all the right things about reliability, value, driving safety and longevity of the vehicles. I had asked him if they had any used Subarus that I could look at and he told me that once people bought one, they did not get rid of it. Having owned this car for a little over two years now, I understand what he meant. This car is fun to drive. This car gets me into all the places I want to go (fishing). It has lots of storage space in the back. I can very comfortably carry four people.

Favorite Features

This is the first car I've owned with a built in CD player. Love it! The storage in the back is great. I keep much of my fishing stuff back there all the time. I can lift the back gate which covers me if it is raining. The back seats fold down to allow more cargo room.

Suggested Improvements

The rear wiper does not spray fluid over an area on the window. It just runs down the center. The back window has a slight curve near the top and the wiper misses this all the time. I am a less than thrilled with the Anti-lock brakes. Perhaps that is because I'm due for new tires.

Lot's of little problems.
By deepsky

1998 Subaru Forester S 4dr Wagon AWD

I've had lots of small problems with this vehicle. Oil leaks, transmission popping out of gear, piston slap noise from engine, all occuring immediately after the warranty expired at 50,000 miles. All of these things take away from the fact that this is a nice little SUV. It handles great in the snow and has a lot of nice little features, although the back seat is really too small for a rear-facing child seat.

Favorite Features

A tight turning radius. Good pick-up. Terrific in the snow and rain.

Suggested Improvements

Better quality control all the way around.

What a great car!
By Roodriver

1998 Subaru Forester S 4dr Wagon AWD

Have had my '98 Forester for a year/14,000. Couldn't be happier with it. Mileage is good (21/27) so is the power. The seat adjustment range is wide enough that most everyone gets comfy. It hauls much stuff and passenger room is good. I replaced the speakers it sounds better, but the system could use an upgrade. Needed good all-season tires with low noise. Still, the noise is acceptable. I'm gonna be driving this puppy for a loooong time.

Favorite Features

Performance, handling, versatility, cargo capacity and a high fun-to-drive quotient. Spend the bucks and get the "S" model. The extra features are well worth it.

Suggested Improvements

Stereo (or at least speakers), factory Yokohama tires are not great, and a fatter sway bar (not necessary but the factory unit could stand improvement).

AWD Clutches
By BKPRAP

1998 Subaru Forester S 4dr Wagon AWD

Great car in the snow, MPG is not great, Early electrical problem with the transmission not shifting. At 63K the AWD clutches went out, cost $1000 for repairs. Original tires were very poor. Dealer support is poor. I may buy another Subaru, but not from local dealer.

Favorite Features

Heated seats, AWD, big rear view mirors.

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel milage, better quality, better dealer support.

Love My Forester
By Forester Lover

1998 Subaru Forester S 4dr Wagon AWD

Purchased new in 98 have had nothing but good luck with this car-agetting 25- 28mpg. Now has 107000 miles and is still going strong. This is without question the best vehicle I have ever owned.

Favorite Features

AWD, gas mileage, peppy 4 boxer engine, great handling in all weather, reliability, is a perfect fit for short people. I love everything about it.

Suggested Improvements

I'm happy the way it is

1998 FORESTER S
By suejane

1998 Subaru Forester S 4dr Wagon AWD

many small problems from clocks going out, gas gauge not working properly, temperature gauge not working and unable to locate problem, numerous oil leaks. will be purchasing new car; definitely not a FOrester!

Favorite Features

INTERIOR ..SEATS VERY COMFORTABLE.

Love - Hate IT
By Unhappy_BE

1998 Subaru Forester S 4dr Wagon AWD

I do like my 98 Forester (114k miles) except for the six (6) rear wheel bearings that have failed, the cam shaft seal, and the head gasket replaced. For a quailty car, I've spend alot of time and money fixing the car to keep it on the road. Great car, now if only they could improve the quaility. For the first time in my life (after driving 100,000s of miles) I had to have my car towed to the shop.

Favorite Features

Great ride, very comfortable, heated seats, roomy back seats for kids.

Suggested Improvements

WHEEL BEARINGS

Great LITTLE SUV
By RoadRunner47

1998 Subaru Forester S 4dr Wagon AWD

AWD is great. A fun/utilitarian car for my 5'6" wife. Extra weight helps on long trips. I'm glad I bought the upgraded "S" model versus "L". Leather interior is nice but small. Cupholders awkward. Yokohama tires were subpar--a lot of noise and picked up several nails. Electrical connector for air conditioner came apart several times. Speakers sound tinny. Good gas mileage, but would prefer V6 for more power and weight.

Favorite Features

AWD. Leather interior. Sits up high for good visability.

Suggested Improvements

Better tires, better speakers, correct minor defects.