1998 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
Nice Reliable Vehicle
By John on 01/25/06 12:29 PM (PST)

1998 Subaru Forester S 4dr Wagon AWD

Great car for snow conditions. Take it skiing and never have had a problem with handling or starting in below zero weather. Air conditioning and heating are fast and efficient. My only major complaint is the poor comfort of the seats. My bottom hurts during a long trip. The vehicle is reliable.

Don't waste your money
By jackie w on 04/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Forester S 4dr Wagon AWD

Never waste your money on a Subaru! After the 60,000 warranty went up we had transmission failure twice!!! The dealer never could seem to fix our car and we had difficulty finding anyone to work on Subaru's and those who do have said they have had problems and one mechanic even said they were complete junk. Also the Forrester was not as good in the snow as we anticipated. Don't waste your money. Go with a Toyota or Honda!

Fisherman's Dream
By kschumac on 03/31/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Subaru Forester S 4dr Wagon AWD

When I first visited our local Subaru dealer, the salesman told me all the right things about reliability, value, driving safety and longevity of the vehicles. I had asked him if they had any used Subarus that I could look at and he told me that once people bought one, they did not get rid of it. Having owned this car for a little over two years now, I understand what he meant. This car is fun to drive. This car gets me into all the places I want to go (fishing). It has lots of storage space in the back. I can very comfortably carry four people.

Lot's of little problems.
By deepsky on 03/21/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Subaru Forester S 4dr Wagon AWD

I've had lots of small problems with this vehicle. Oil leaks, transmission popping out of gear, piston slap noise from engine, all occuring immediately after the warranty expired at 50,000 miles. All of these things take away from the fact that this is a nice little SUV. It handles great in the snow and has a lot of nice little features, although the back seat is really too small for a rear-facing child seat.

What a great car!
By Roodriver on 02/12/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Subaru Forester S 4dr Wagon AWD

Have had my '98 Forester for a year/14,000. Couldn't be happier with it. Mileage is good (21/27) so is the power. The seat adjustment range is wide enough that most everyone gets comfy. It hauls much stuff and passenger room is good. I replaced the speakers it sounds better, but the system could use an upgrade. Needed good all-season tires with low noise. Still, the noise is acceptable. I'm gonna be driving this puppy for a loooong time.

AWD Clutches
By BKPRAP on 10/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Forester S 4dr Wagon AWD

Great car in the snow, MPG is not great, Early electrical problem with the transmission not shifting. At 63K the AWD clutches went out, cost $1000 for repairs. Original tires were very poor. Dealer support is poor. I may buy another Subaru, but not from local dealer.

Love My Forester
By Forester Lover on 07/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Forester S 4dr Wagon AWD

Purchased new in 98 have had nothing but good luck with this car-agetting 25- 28mpg. Now has 107000 miles and is still going strong. This is without question the best vehicle I have ever owned.

1998 FORESTER S
By suejane on 03/31/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Subaru Forester S 4dr Wagon AWD

many small problems from clocks going out, gas gauge not working properly, temperature gauge not working and unable to locate problem, numerous oil leaks. will be purchasing new car; definitely not a FOrester!

Love - Hate IT
By Unhappy_BE on 03/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Subaru Forester S 4dr Wagon AWD

I do like my 98 Forester (114k miles) except for the six (6) rear wheel bearings that have failed, the cam shaft seal, and the head gasket replaced. For a quailty car, I've spend alot of time and money fixing the car to keep it on the road. Great car, now if only they could improve the quaility. For the first time in my life (after driving 100,000s of miles) I had to have my car towed to the shop.

Great LITTLE SUV
By RoadRunner47 on 02/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Subaru Forester S 4dr Wagon AWD

AWD is great. A fun/utilitarian car for my 5'6" wife. Extra weight helps on long trips. I'm glad I bought the upgraded "S" model versus "L". Leather interior is nice but small. Cupholders awkward. Yokohama tires were subpar--a lot of noise and picked up several nails. Electrical connector for air conditioner came apart several times. Speakers sound tinny. Good gas mileage, but would prefer V6 for more power and weight.