Used 1998 Subaru Forester S Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

1998 Subaru Forester

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Hope phase II engine is better
By Subaru guy

1998 Subaru Forester S 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought the car as a project car with one of the cylinders literally smashed. I've used and worked on Subarus for 4 years. 2.5 liter DOHC Phase I engine is awful. 2.2 engines were much more reliable. After installing an engine with 120000 miles on it it works great. It's a small SUV, really fun to drive. Handles great on snow and rain.

Favorite Features

Small SUV, ground clearance.

Suggested Improvements

I hope new Phase II 2.5 SOHC engine is better. Phase I had a lot of problems with piston slap and head gaskets. (I had to fix 2 of them one on my Legacy Outback, the other on Forester. after blowing the second engine on Outback I installed 2.2 liter and using it happily since then).

Forester
By Barbara McAleer

1998 Subaru Forester S 4dr Wagon AWD

Great car dependable, excellent in the snow. Low maintenance cost.

Favorite Features

Height to get in and out. Great for elderly. Height to load and unload groceries and the many other large items is great!

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage, I am currently looking for a environmental friendly vehicle. I thought the B9 looked great but gas mileage stinks. Hurry up, I want to stick with Subaru and not give up the SUV, Prius's are ugly.

1998 Subaru Forester S AWD
By T-Bob

1998 Subaru Forester S 4dr Wagon AWD

This has been the best car we have ever owned. We have taken it everywhere - offroad, on beach, long trips, and everyday commutes, and it has never had a problem.

Favorite Features

AWD - simply amazing - watching other SUV's sink in the sand on Ocracoke Island beach while I plowed on through was great. Also fantastic in the snow. The heated seats are also great.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders are a poor design. Factory stereo not great. A second 12V power source in the front would be appreciated.

1998 Subaru Forester
By ml secrest

1998 Subaru Forester S 4dr Wagon AWD

In 1998 I was looking for something safe, reliable, small, but still enough room for all my stuff. The Forester has met all my expectations. The only problem was keeping the front end in line. Investing in a good set of tires and being careful not to run into curbs has solved the problem.

Favorite Features

The Forester just plain looks good. Everything I need fits in it. Small enough to park anywhere. Enough power to drive interstate highways. The 4 wheel drive and low center of gravity keeps the car on the road.

Suggested Improvements

The seats are hard.

What a Joy
By DoDred

1998 Subaru Forester S 4dr Wagon AWD

We have 170,000+ miles on our Subie and still feel that it is one of the best cars we have ever owned. I have used and probably abused it back and forth across the US and Canada, from California to Prince Edward Island, from Key West to Vancouver, BC. What a joy of a car to own.

Favorite Features

Handling, adequate power and ride.

Suggested Improvements

A little more power and better fuel economy